PDA

View Full Version : LW2019 - Layout viewport performance with active modifiers fixed - Thank you NewTek!

Marander
10-09-2018, 06:31 PM
One of the issues I reported - the viewport performance slow down with active deformers is fixed in LW2019.

Thank you NewTek for fixing this!

(Case LWB-3970) LightWave Layout viewport is slow with high poly objects and active Deformers in Modifier Stack
Issue LWB-3970 has been marked as CLOSED.
Improvements in LW2019 have fixed this. Deforming meshes are no longer being rebuilt for OpenGL if the mesh hasn't changed.

Nicolas Jordan
10-09-2018, 06:52 PM
So the build they are working with is being called 2019? If it is that sounds like they intend to try and get a yearly release going which would be nice as long as they can pack it with enough value.

Tim Parsons
10-09-2018, 09:12 PM
So the build they are working with is being called 2019? If it is that sounds like they intend to try and get a yearly release going which would be nice as long as they can pack it with enough value.

I guess we will see come Jan1. :)

OFF
10-09-2018, 10:27 PM
One of the issues I reported - the viewport performance slow down with active deformers is fixed in LW2019.

(Case LWB-3970) LightWave Layout viewport is slow with high poly objects and active Deformers in Modifier Stack
Improvements in LW2019 have fixed this. Deforming meshes are no longer being rebuilt for OpenGL if the mesh hasn't changed.

Thank you, I am also looking forward to these changes. Let's hope to see all this in the near future.

Ztreem
10-10-2018, 12:20 AM

We just have to wait and see... lw2018 was called lw2016 long before it was released.

Paul_Boland
10-10-2018, 08:13 AM
How do we view our submitted bug reports so see what their situation is?

Kryslin
10-10-2018, 09:43 AM
There should be a link on your account page, the one where you download Lightwave from.

Nicolas Jordan
10-10-2018, 10:35 AM
We just have to wait and see... lw2018 was called lw2016 long before it was released.

Maybe that's just what they are using as a name then until they decide the build has enough stuff to push out as an upgrade. I still don't think the yearly naming convention makes any sense unless they are intending to try and put out a new version every year.

raymondtrace
10-10-2018, 12:23 PM
They should name it Lightwave CC so there is no obligation to add any new features but ensure a steady revenue stream. Surely this is an original idea.

AnimeJoex
10-10-2018, 01:40 PM
LW 2019??
Whoa. What secrets do you know, Marander?? ;)

Paul_Boland
10-10-2018, 05:18 PM
There should be a link on your account page, the one where you download Lightwave from.

Thanks. Found it. A number of open bug reports but none I can see that mention being fixed in 2019.

jwiede
10-10-2018, 09:14 PM

If accurate, that'd be a strong indication Newtek has already "switched over" from working on LW2018 updates onto the next paid version upgrade.

Considering how few actual issue fixes and improvements came in those "six updates" (Newtek even acknowledged they were tiny with the .0.x designations), and the current state of LW2018 in terms of broken/incomplete functionality, Newtek declaring LW2018 "done" would be a horrible mistake, IMO. Of couse, it wouldn't be their first such mistake, nor even the least bit surprising that they'd make such a mistake again so soon after the last.

Oh well, I'm sure the Faithful will be along to circle the wagons and declare how wonderful LW2018 has been for everyone. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

OFF
10-10-2018, 09:29 PM
If we do not raise the question of the level of implementation of the LW instruments, then with regard to production, the main problem is constant lags - this accompanies you in each more or less large scenes. Take the landscape with instances, add a couple of characters with FFX and the performance will drop to almost zero and equal the performance of the LW 5-6 versions. To this we need to add hang-ups between Layout and Modeler, when you work with more or less complex objects and scenes.
And in sum, we get a product that works with persistent problems, which even various fashionable features do not save.
I really hope that they will be able to put in order at the next version of LW their Hydra-engine. This would smooth out my personal negative impressions of the overall performance. The potential of the Hydra engine is good, but the realization of this is still very raw.

jwiede
10-10-2018, 10:04 PM
If it is that sounds like they intend to try and get a yearly release going which would be nice as long as they can pack it with enough value.
Certainly doesn't seem like they've done so for LW2018 given current state. Little to no reason to expect them to do better for LW2019.

Nicolas Jordan
10-10-2018, 10:08 PM
If accurate, that'd be a strong indication Newtek has already "switched over" from working on LW2018 updates onto the next paid version upgrade.

I agree it does sound like they have moved on to having an early build of the next paid version. If this is the case I assume then that any bugs fixed will only be fixed for the next major release. It would be nice if they were able to bake out bug fix builds for 2018 from the internal 2019 build but I doubt that's even possible.

MarcusM
10-11-2018, 03:18 AM
I am very curious what Modeler survey brings, and when.

lardbros
10-11-2018, 05:56 AM

Considering how few actual issue fixes and improvements came in those "six updates" (Newtek even acknowledged they were tiny with the .0.x designations), and the current state of LW2018 in terms of broken/incomplete functionality, Newtek declaring LW2018 "done" would be a horrible mistake, IMO. Of couse, it wouldn't be their first such mistake, nor even the least bit surprising that they'd make such a mistake again so soon after the last.

Oh well, I'm sure the Faithful will be along to circle the wagons and declare how wonderful LW2018 has been for everyone. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Is there ANY way we can turn you off? Or maybe revert your negative attitude into the inverse?
Why use LightWave if all you can say is something negative?

2018 has had 6 mini updates, more than any other software developer normally releases, and more stable than most other software I use.

For instance, 3dsMax 2018 had 4 mini updates, all of which have bugs that mean you can't use the tool. Weld for example, when done on an Edit Poly modifier, will crash immediately! Yeah, pretty terrible... LightWave has many less developers, much less capital behind it, yet at least I can still weld in LW without a crash.

Tim Parsons
10-11-2018, 06:57 AM

I think it all comes down to how a user uses the product and whether it works consistently and meets the need of that said user. For instance in our shop we never animate, so any issues with the animation side of things go completely unnoticed. So for the part of LW that we use there is very little to complain about as to things not working. Now as far as things not being implemented very well - that is another story. Yes, there are tons of features that are needed and UI issues galore, but as far as stuff plain not working we haven't run into anything really with the exception of the hang-up issue and the load from scene issue with FiberFX objects. We can talk about the piss poor Modeler performance all day long but that is not a bug, it's a poor design issue. IMO LW is pretty solid and to be honest we were probably going to switch to Modo at one time, but in our evaluations we couldn't keep it running for more than 30 minutes, so we just stayed with the tried and true and the new PBR rendering has solidified that decision. I just wish it were faster (again not a bug. :)).

Paul_Boland
10-11-2018, 08:11 AM
...and the load from scene issue with FiberFX objects.

I have been reporting this issue since 2018.0.2 and now we are on 2018.0.6 and it's still not fixed and one of my projects is dead in the water because of it. With this potential news of Lightwave 2019 on the way, if this turns out to be true, and it's a paid update, and the FiberFX bug in 2018 is not fixed before hand, then that's me done with Lightwave. I won't give money to Newtek for broken software any more. It's bad enough that for OVER A DECADE I've been asking them to fix the Sliders controls since Lightwave 8 and they still aren't fixed!!! This FiberFX bug has just peed me off!! But if Newtek don't fix it in 2018 and then ask for money for a new 2019 release, they will lose me as a customer.

Tim Parsons
10-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Sliders controls since Lightwave 8 and they still aren't fixed!!! This FiberFX bug has just peed me off!! But if Newtek don't fix it in 2018 and then ask for money for a new 2019 release, they will lose me as a customer.

Are the sliders broken or just not working very good? I don't use them. I really don't do any hair either, but I was using it for some fiber strands on a vase that was wound with rope and discovered this fault. I also tried FiberFX on some carpet and it works really good but this load from scene issue has me reverting back to instances. So it's not a deal breaker for me, but it should be addressed. With Metamorphic being added to 2019, some new shaders added to the mix and whatever else NT can pull off in such a short timeline it should be worth the $300 but not much more. I understand the need for some regular income to keep things moving, but they need to show value too. Maybe the people that passed on 2018 will jump in with 2019 and those that adopted 2018 will wait for 2020. :)

stevecullum
10-11-2018, 08:53 AM
Is there ANY way we can turn you off? Or maybe revert your negative attitude into the inverse?
Why use LightWave if all you can say is something negative?

2018 has had 6 mini updates, more than any other software developer normally releases, and more stable than most other software I use.

For instance, 3dsMax 2018 had 4 mini updates, all of which have bugs that mean you can't use the tool. Weld for example, when done on an Edit Poly modifier, will crash immediately! Yeah, pretty terrible... LightWave has many less developers, much less capital behind it, yet at least I can still weld in LW without a crash.

I don't think it matters which 3D software you use, there is always going to be bugs and issues, due to the complexity of them. For the most part, there is usually some kind of work-around, even for obscure ones. Like in 2018.6, the motion mixer bone re-mapper doesn't work, but you can work around that issue by editing the hmot file directly changing out the bone names. Not great, but better than nothing.

As for 3dsmax, from what you are describing sounds like a total pain - but I suspect there is some kind of workaround...wait there is! Just use Modeler instead ;)

gar26lw
10-11-2018, 09:11 AM
I have been reporting this issue since 2018.0.2 and now we are on 2018.0.6 and it's still not fixed and one of my projects is dead in the water because of it. With this potential news of Lightwave 2019 on the way, if this turns out to be true, and it's a paid update, and the FiberFX bug in 2018 is not fixed before hand, then that's me done with Lightwave. I won't give money to Newtek for broken software any more. It's bad enough that for OVER A DECADE I've been asking them to fix the Sliders controls since Lightwave 8 and they still aren't fixed!!! This FiberFX bug has just peed me off!! But if Newtek don't fix it in 2018 and then ask for money for a new 2019 release, they will lose me as a customer.

yeah, same.

kyleprometheus
10-11-2018, 10:15 AM
The feedback in the survey focused heavily on Modeller so it seems an obvious area for development.

Kyle.

kyleprometheus
10-11-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm hoping for another 'kick-***' release. (Which I thought 2018 was...) But the latter was sometime after 2015. What can they achieve in a year? (If '2019' is a yearly release?)

Optimisations in the renderer might be nice (though it's fairly fast compared to what I was used to 1997, heh...) GPU renderer combined with the CPU would be mighty fine. Obviously, modelling improvements. 4k monitor readiness?

...and I wonder, if anything was held back from 2018 which just was too big to be done in time for its release.

The 'Hub' seems a bit wobbly to me. It fusses periodically and it's not like I'm shifting big polygon models or scenes with massive textures. That said, I haven't installed 2018.6 yet (I like to wait for several patches before install more software so I don't upset things on my system.)

Running on a 2014 iMac, El Capitan, only 8 gigs of ram...Nvidia GPU 680MX, i7 cpu. Not bad. Nice big 27 inch screen. But miles behind the gpu rendering monsters and AMD insanity multicores of today's machines.

Kyle.

kyleprometheus
10-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Nice to see they are fixing stuff and are moving forward with a 2019 release.

LW3D flies the flag for value under 1000 and a sound upgrade price (250 from LW3D 9.x to 2018, for me? A no-brainer.) with NO subscription.

I'm rooting for Newtek and LW3D!

Kyle.

Paul_Boland
10-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Are the sliders broken or just not working very good?

I've been reporting on this since Lightwave 8. I've had big forum threads covering it, submitted it multiple times as a bug report which have been acknowledged, and even talked directly with Newtek staff about it who admit it's not working as it should, and yet over ten years later it's still broken :thumbsdown:!! The FiberFX issue in 2018 is the straw that nearly broke the camel's back for me. If the FiberFX bug is not fixed in 2018 and 2019 is released as a paid upgrade, I will walk away from Newtek and Lightwave. I'm tired paying for broken software from Newtek that the company doesn't seem to care about fixing!!

lardbros
10-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Paul, those notches are to skip to next and previous keyframes I thought.

What's the Fiber FX bug that isn't fixed?

Tim Parsons
10-11-2018, 11:59 AM

I've been reporting on this since Lightwave 8. I've had big forum threads covering it, submitted it multiple times as a bug report which have been acknowledged, and even talked directly with Newtek staff about it who admit it's not working as it should, and yet over ten years later it's still broken :thumbsdown:!! The FiberFX issue in 2018 is the straw that nearly broke the camel's back for me. If the FiberFX bug is not fixed in 2018 and 2019 is released as a paid upgrade, I will walk away from Newtek and Lightwave. I'm tired paying for broken software from Newtek that the company doesn't seem to care about fixing!!

Paul, those notches are to skip to next and previous keyframes I thought.

What's the Fiber FX bug that isn't fixed?

lardbros - Instant crash when using load from scene. So yeah not very useful.

But....... with 2018.0.6 load from scene with a FiberFX object no longer crashes LW, so that's a plus, but none of the styling remains. It may be a situation where NT doesn't know about the specifics. I know when I fogged it I was fogging the instant crash so that is what I told them. So it looks like that got fixed! So from my standpoint they fixed it but they didn't go the extra mile to make sure styling come over etc.. Maybe another bug report is in order. :) Over time I have discovered that you have to be completely explicit with bug reports and have ready made content in it's most simplest form or they won't be able to catch the issue.

RPSchmidt
10-11-2018, 12:38 PM

I am still trying to figure your issue out.

I have tried many tests hoping to replicate your crash issue, but so far I haven't succeeded.

Not to say that Layout didn't bang on my CPUs like they were hailstones on a tin roof, but I haven't actually gotten my system to crash.

In my last test, I opened a Layout scene with a panda head that I had applied FiberFX to.

Then I cloned the panda head, and loaded my FiberFX from a saved ffs file, and saved that as a new scene.

Cleared Layout. Loaded the original panda head scene. Loaded the two panda heads from the new scene into the original. Checked and applied my FiberFX ffs files to the parts.

Lots of CPU stalling in between fiber applications, but Layout didn't crash.

Rendered. Everything was fine. The original head had all of the fur; on the imported heads, I only loaded specific parts. On one, I loaded snout and ear fur, and on the other I loaded eye socket and head fur.

No crashes.

Weird.

What am I doing differently than you that is keeping my system from crashing? Perhaps I haven't understood your issue correctly.

EDIT: Ahh, it looks like they fixed the issue in your specific instance.

Not sure why it wasn't fixed for you until 2018.06... I am still using 2018.0 and as I said, I haven't had a crash when loading a FiberFX object (or multiple objects) from one scene into another scene.

For the styling, I normally save an FFS file for all of the areas on the model that I applied FiberFX to. Typically, when I take a model I had previously applied FiberFX to into Layout (like the panda heads) they don't have any fibers on them. I activate them, and then load the FFS files that I saved that had the styling information in it.

Paul_Boland
10-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Create a Cube in Modeller, save the object.
Create a Sphere in Modeller, save the object.
Load the Cube into Layout and apply FiberFX to it. Save the scene and object.
New scene in Layout, load the Sphere and apply FiberFX. Save the scene and object.
New Scene in Layout. Load From Scene the cube. Turn on VPR and you'll see it fine with all the FiberFX stuff on it.
Load From Scene the sphere. CRASH!
If you have VPR turned off and load the two objects they will appear fine in the scene without the FiberFX applied to them but then pressed F9 to render, CRASH!!

Newtek tech support as acknowledged this is a bug and has been around since 2018.0.2, still present in 2018.0.6. Works fine in Lightwave 2015.

As for Sliders, I just looked and those arrow heads are no longer mentioned in the documentation (I'm guessing since they don't work they want to draw attention to them) but they are supposed to nudge the slider control value 0.01 left or right upon clicking, but they don't do anything.

hrgiger
10-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Well that's what software developers are supposed to do when they release software that's riddled with bugs like 2018 was. But aside from that, Houdini releases daily builds, Blender has daily builds, Modo has dozens of maintenance builds per year around their 3 feature releases per year. As far as 2018.4 on max, it had over 100 bug fixes. So not sure on that LW releases more bugfixes than any other developer.

And you can weld in LW without a bug because that tool is over 20 years old and they've barely touched modeler in that 20 years. Not surprising its stable by now, wouldn't you say?

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's what software developers are supposed to do when they release software that's riddled with bugs like 2018 was. But aside from that, Houdini releases daily builds, Blender has daily builds, Modo has dozens of maintenance builds per year around their 3 feature releases per year. As far as 2018.4 on max, it had over 100 bug fixes. So not sure on that LW releases more bugfixes than any other developer.

And you can weld in LW without a bug because that tool is over 20 years old and they've barely touched modeler in that 20 years. Not surprising its stable by now, wouldn't you say?

DuneBoy
10-11-2018, 04:56 PM
As for Sliders, I just looked and those arrow heads are no longer mentioned in the documentation (I'm guessing since they don't work they want to draw attention to them) but they are supposed to nudge the slider control value 0.01 left or right upon clicking, but they don't do anything.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of documentation on those arrows. The wiki has been updated to include mention of what they do. It was confirmed that those arrows are functioning, and how, which is to jump to the previous and next keyframe for the given channel's envelope (this behavior dates back to at least 2006).

Thanks again.

Paul_Boland
10-11-2018, 09:27 PM
It was confirmed that those arrows are functioning, and how, which is to jump to the previous and next keyframe for the given channel's envelope (this behavior dates back to at least 2006).

Thanks again.

Just checked this and you're right, so my apologies for thinking otherwise. I'm very sure I read somewhere that those arrow heads were meant to nudge the slider 0.01 left or right to give fine control but I can't recall where I read it. So I withdraw that issues as the buttons do work, just not as I thought. My other issues with Sliders stands.

jeric_synergy
10-11-2018, 10:03 PM
The wiki has been updated to include mention of what they do.

??? Which wiki is that??

DuneBoy
10-11-2018, 11:55 PM
??? Which wiki is that??

Sorry, the docs site: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/

It's wiki-ish, so I'm used to thinking of it as 'the docs wiki'.

RPSchmidt
10-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Create a Cube in Modeller, save the object.
Create a Sphere in Modeller, save the object.
Load the Cube into Layout and apply FiberFX to it. Save the scene and object.
New scene in Layout, load the Sphere and apply FiberFX. Save the scene and object.
New Scene in Layout. Load From Scene the cube. Turn on VPR and you'll see it fine with all the FiberFX stuff on it.
Load From Scene the sphere. CRASH!
If you have VPR turned off and load the two objects they will appear fine in the scene without the FiberFX applied to them but then pressed F9 to render, CRASH!!

Newtek tech support as acknowledged this is a bug and has been around since 2018.0.2, still present in 2018.0.6. Works fine in Lightwave 2015.

Okay... I just followed your example.

Created and saved fiber_testSphere. Created and saved fiber_testCube.

Brought fiber_testCube into Layout and applied FiberFX. Adjusted settings, saved as cubeFiber.lws. Saved fiber settings as ffs file. Cleared scene.

Brought fiber_testSphere into Layout, applied FiberFX. Adjusted settings, saved as sphereFiber.lws. Saved fiber settings as ffs file. Cleared scene.

Loaded cubeFiber.lws and its primitve from cubeFiber.lws.

Loaded fiber_testSphere and its primitive from sphereFiber.lws.

Opened FiberFX, activated fibers for fiber_testSphere and fiber_testCube.

Loaded sphereFiber.ffs to the sphere and cubeFiber.ffs to the cube. All fiber settings now back to normal.

Running 2018.0... no update.

Rendered. Render complete, elapsed time 26m 13s.

fiber_testSphere GUIDES: 288 FIBERS: 300000 EDGES: 14400000 fiber_testCube GUIDES: 6 FIBERS: 750000 EDGES: 36000000

All of that said; I do not doubt that you encountered the issues you reported. I am trying to figure out why I am NOT encountering them, in an effort to figure out why you are.

Ztreem
10-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Okay... I just followed your example.

Created and saved fiber_testSphere. Created and saved fiber_testCube.

Brought fiber_testCube into Layout and applied FiberFX. Adjusted settings, saved as cubeFiber.lws. Saved fiber settings as ffs file. Cleared scene.

Brought fiber_testSphere into Layout, applied FiberFX. Adjusted settings, saved as sphereFiber.lws. Saved fiber settings as ffs file. Cleared scene.

Loaded cubeFiber.lws and its primitve from cubeFiber.lws.

Loaded fiber_testSphere and its primitive from sphereFiber.lws.

Opened FiberFX, activated fibers for fiber_testSphere and fiber_testCube.

Loaded sphereFiber.ffs to the sphere and cubeFiber.ffs to the cube. All fiber settings now back to normal.

Running 2018.0... no update.

Rendered. Render complete, elapsed time 26m 13s.

fiber_testSphere GUIDES: 288 FIBERS: 300000 EDGES: 14400000 fiber_testCube GUIDES: 6 FIBERS: 750000 EDGES: 36000000

All of that said; I do not doubt that you encountered the issues you reported. I am trying to figure out why I am NOT encountering them, in an effort to figure out why you are.

Because if you read the whole post he said it was introduced in 2018.0.2.

RPSchmidt
10-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Because if you read the whole post he said it was introduced in 2018.0.2.

I guess we both missed it... because I told him I was using 2018.0 in the post he replied to and he provided me with detailed instructions. Soooo.... rollback?

jwiede
10-12-2018, 04:08 PM
I guess we both missed it... because I told him I was using 2018.0 in the post he replied to and he provided me with detailed instructions. Soooo.... rollback?

Rolling back to 2018.0 means reverting a bunch of critical GI/rendering, Bullet, and FFX fixes as well, so likely isn't a viable option here.

They need to fix the issue. Just leaving FFX LFS broken and "moving on" isn't really acceptable, esp. as this issue is clearly a regression caused by something they did in LW2018 dev cycle.

RPSchmidt
10-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Rolling back to 2018.0 means reverting a bunch of critical GI/rendering, Bullet, and FFX fixes as well, so likely isn't a viable option here.

They need to fix the issue. Just leaving FFX LFS broken and "moving on" isn't really acceptable, esp. as this issue is clearly a regression caused by something they did in LW2018 dev cycle.

Huh.... I was under the impression that each update was a standalone. Isn't it possible to have both 2018.0 and 2018.06 installed?

Certainly not.the ideal solution but at least you would be able to continue work.

Of course, they should definitely fix it.

lardbros
10-13-2018, 01:27 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, other devs do daily builds, unreal releases tonnes, very often too.
If they did this with 3ds Max I simply wouldn't even bother downloading each update. They take a good hour to install each time, and that's on a mega fast SSD. Anyway... As far as being able to weld using a tool, you're now plucking at another string, which is totally irrelevant in terms of getting work done.
My argument was, other developers release FINAL builds of a major version number, which are unusable, and don't update a pretty major bug like welding vertices. It happens... to all developers, and we have to report it... Then it'll get fixed.

I wasn't actually saying Newtek release more bug fixes per year than any developer, I was meant to put any other software I use... the other major application that I use is 3dsmax, so I naturally compared it to that.
Newtek will most likely never do daily public builds, but with daily builds you do run into problems.

You also say 2018 was riddled with bugs... No more than other tools. I've been using it in production and despite finding one or two annoyances, there are workarounds which I employed and it worked absolutely fine.

I still don't understand why you hang around here still, being negative and stuff? All you're doing is being overly negative about literally anything, around a forum which is users of THIS software tool. You would NEVER see me over on the Modo forum spouting negative comments, because it's just quite rude. Maybe rudeness is different where you're from?

hrgiger
10-13-2018, 09:55 AM
I still don't understand why you hang around here still, being negative and stuff? All you're doing is being overly negative about literally anything, around a forum which is users of THIS software tool. You would NEVER see me over on the Modo forum spouting negative comments, because it's just quite rude. Maybe rudeness is different where you're from?

I'm only hanging around until I sell my LW 2015 license.

Morgan Nilsson
10-15-2018, 12:20 PM
I'm only hanging around until I sell my LW 2015 license.

We've put up with your negativity even though you left the ship years ago. Yet you continue harassing NT and Lightwave users with your negative opinions, you are of course fine to have opinions, but honestly. Leave already, stop wasting your time with hating and spreading your personal dismay over everybody else, we don't care.

Also: https://www.g2crowd.com/products/lightwave-3d/reviews

Real nice of you... I like how you speak about a toxic community, when you yourself is the epicenter of all negativity more times than I can count.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-15-2018, 01:36 PM
I don't think that review was deserved. Newtek is a small business that has invested relatively substantially, given the clearly limited resources compared to Autodesk, in Core and Lightwave with little return on the investment. The fact that Newtek still employs a team of full-time developers is proof that they are still investing in Lightwave. Manpower is by far the biggest expense for running a tech company and the main development team is still intact. Some comments in that review smack of NDA or hearsay from disgruntled ex-employees. Mentioning that stuff privately is one thing but posting on a public review site? Asking for trouble my friend.

The 2018 renderer is underrated because of the steep learning curve. I use it alongside Max with Arnold for hi-rez print projects and the LW 2018 renderer is much more interactive, particularly when employing limited region. Open multiple rendering windows and LW 2018 still gives great feedback.

With the confirmed viewport performance improvements in 2019, LW is going to be a fast, fun option for many projects, particularly with Octane.

My hope for 2019 to make it more competitive:
1) Hi DPI monitor support for both Layout and Modeler.
2) Stabilize the Hub, since integration is unlikely.
3) Optimize the 2018 renderer for final production renders and possibly add a progressive mode.
4) Consolidated, interactive modeling, mapping and real-time game tools...because "game tools" are going to become THE tools sooner rather than later, at least judging by the pace of Unreal, Unity and Octane.
5) Continue to create hooks for OD Tools and make sure Octane integration is as seamless as possible.
6) Make an effort to bring valuable 3rd Parties like Dpont back in the fold

Basically, Newtek needs to focus on performance, usability, stability and compatibility.

hrgiger
10-16-2018, 11:44 AM
We've put up with your negativity even though you left the ship years ago. Yet you continue harassing NT and Lightwave users with your negative opinions, you are of course fine to have opinions, but honestly. Leave already, stop wasting your time with hating and spreading your personal dismay over everybody else, we don't care.

Also: https://www.g2crowd.com/products/lightwave-3d/reviews

Real nice of you... I like how you speak about a toxic community, when you yourself is the epicenter of all negativity more times than I can count.

You just got on board LW last fall /winter during the peak of silence from NT, you really don't know when or anything about when I 'left the ship'.

As far as the review, aside from the rumor about a possible sale of LightWave, did I state one thing about NT/LW that is untrue?

TheLexx
10-16-2018, 12:01 PM
....aside from the rumor about a possible sale of LightWave....I didn't pick up on that - was there talk of a sale some time in the past ?

Ztreem
10-16-2018, 02:40 PM
There was a speculation of a buy out as it was so silent from LW3D management and NT.

Nicolas Jordan
10-16-2018, 03:42 PM
There was a speculation of a buy out as it was so silent from LW3D management and NT.

Yes I remember some chatter about that as well but there was never any evidence that I'm aware to support that any discussions ever happened.