PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to reverse a rotation on an arbitrary axis?

jbrookes
10-08-2018, 08:48 PM
LightWave 2015.3:

Without using the [Rotate Any Axis] tool, does anyone know of a good way to rotate an object back to its original orientation after rotating it on an arbitrary axis?

jwiede
10-09-2018, 01:12 AM
Can you describe the situation a bit better? Did you rotate the object in Modeler or Layout? I take it undo isn't an option? If Layout, and auto-key on, maybe delete the keyframe?

It's a little difficult to understand what options might be available without understanding which app, and how you got the object to its current state.

jeric_synergy
10-09-2018, 01:21 AM
With no reference? No.

jbrookes
10-09-2018, 03:10 AM
Hi. In this case it's Modeler 2015.3.

For example, you could use the Axis Translate function to draw a line at an odd angle and rotate the object around that (say 45 degrees).

Then you go ahead and do something like stencil onto one side of your object. Now that's done, you want to be able to get your object (an aircraft for example) facing down the Z-axis like it was when you loaded it. Having the object's orientation centered neatly on the Z axis (or any world axis) is especially useful if you're just modeling one half of an object and plan to mirror it later.

If the Rotate Any Axis tool didn't crash Modeler for the model that I'm working on, I could use that to get things back to normal. But -- sadly -- that's not an option in this case. I was hoping that one of the other align or rotate tools might be able to solve this as well.

daforum
10-09-2018, 06:10 AM
It's an old script but might work - De-Rotate
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/de_rotate/

Hope it helps :)

daforum
10-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Did the "de_rotate" script work?

jbrookes
10-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Sorry. Finally got a chance to try it out.

Annnnd.... It works!!

Thank-you! Very cool.

This is very similar to AutoCAD's Align command.

I'm always amazed at what can be done with scripts. Maybe I should learn scripting for LightWave (Note: I'm a horrible programmer, so it could take a while before I managed to make anything that actually worked).

Thanks again :)