PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Eight Demo Videos (13)

WilliamVaughan
12-31-2003, 10:11 AM
LightWave Eight Demo Videos

Here is the current list of videos showing off some of the exciting new features in LightWave Eight. More are on the way so stay tuned.

Note: Right Click on Link to Save the movies.

Part 1:

Cloth FX- Cloth Dynamics in action: 32.5 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/ClothFx_001.avi

Hard FX- Hard Body Dynamics in Action: 62 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/HardFx_001.avi

Soft FX- Soft Body Dynamics in action: 42.6 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/SoftFx_001.avi

IK Boost Tool- Basic example of rigging a character with new tools:36.8 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKB_001.avi

Part 2:

Expression Editor: 8 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/expressioneditor.avi

Hard Link/ Cloth FX: 22.9 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/hardlink002.avi

Part 3:

Modeler Edge Tools: 27.6
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Modeler_edges.avi

Modeler Layers Tools: 8.17 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Modeler_layers.avi

Ik Boost Tool part 2: 18.5
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/IKboost_octo.avi

Modeler Bridge Tool and a sneak peek at In-line Help System: 43 MB
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/Bridge_Help.avi

Part 4:

Meta Link Example: 12 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/metalink.avi

Save Incremental Demo: 12 meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/savedemo_001.avi

Intro to Dope Track: 11 Meg
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/dopetrackintro.avi

***Quicktime Versions can be found here:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/mov/

***Attention***
You will need the codec below to view these videos. When installing a new Codec it is sometimes necessary to restart your machine.

PC Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codec.asp

Mac Codec:
http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp

Mac Codec( Direct Link):
http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_48/ensharpen_macosx.dmg

TSpyrison
12-31-2003, 10:14 AM
Ahh yes...
more stuff to keep me from doing actuall work :D

Matt
12-31-2003, 10:16 AM
Just watched the modeler edge tools movie, thank you NewTek for making the edge bevel tool work in real dimensions and not percentage!

I don't suppose the Bandsaw tool has changed too has it? Or can the edge bevel tool divide loops?

robinson
12-31-2003, 10:18 AM
dope sheet :D

Happy New Year to everybody.

Wade
12-31-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by TSpyrison
Ahh yes...
more stuff to keep me from doing actuall work :D

:o who me?

Zach
12-31-2003, 11:52 AM
neat!

FaeKitty
12-31-2003, 01:03 PM
In the ModelerLayers AVI demo some Object Layer managment tools were shown and in the DopeTrackIntro AVI demo draggable keyframes were shown.

I was wondering if...

In the new Modeler, will we have Draggable Object Layers so that we can easily reorder layers in an object without having to resort to the 'cut a layer', 'insert a blank layer', and 'past a layer' methodology? It would seem to be a good addition to the Object Layer Management Tools being added in this version of modeler.

FaeKitty >^.^<
Got Milk? Meow!

shermanlu
12-31-2003, 01:03 PM
:) :) :) :) :)
Thanks Proton... you make the coming year better and better....

cresshead
12-31-2003, 01:54 PM
neat stuff, cheers proton

steve g

fortress
12-31-2003, 02:30 PM
very cool stuff cant wait :)
and hapy newyear newtek it looks like it is going to be a very good year.

i love the new dope track .

also i had a request to maybe see and game tools that have been added.

Karmacop
12-31-2003, 05:10 PM
FaeKitty, draggable layers is a great idea!!! It may not be possible with the current interface but I'd love to see it!

themaxx
12-31-2003, 06:27 PM
oh man i can't wait! thanks proton! happy new year everyone!

Stranger3D
01-01-2004, 01:38 AM
The dopetrack is so COOL! Thanks very much, Proton.

Happy New Year! :)

Dodgy
01-01-2004, 06:26 AM
Oh man that is some cooooool stuff! That hard/meta link stuff is amazing! MMMMMM yummmmmmmy!

So much easier than MD meta plug!I WANT IT!!!!

Ade
01-01-2004, 06:45 AM
In the "hard link" demo around the time frame 4:30mins i noticed 1piece was spelled wrong it misses an "e"...

I want a free lw8 for that spot :)

evenflcw
01-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Ah, the little things! Incremental save is a nice addition. The dynamics and and all new bone tools look sweet aswell!

Draggable layers would be super! They might not be able to get it to work with the icons, but perhaps in the Layer Browser, which uses the same tech as the menu config, and where you can already drag layers to parent/unparent one to another. Perhaps they could adopt a ctrl+drag to parent, and drag only to reorder (moving both geometry and layer name)? If they haven't already that is ;)

Robert Zeltsch
01-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Yes, incremental save is great!

And the new new dynamics.... yummy. :D

And: Happy New Year to all!! ;)

Simon
01-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the new Quicktimes, much appreciated. I can't wait to get my hands on all those new Hard/SoftFX goodies. Looking forward to making stuff wobble and explode!

JDaniel
01-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Great job Proton! :cool:
Is there an update on displacement mapping for detailed maps? Something like ZBrush would be a God send.

Earl
01-01-2004, 04:40 PM
I've gotta agree with what many have said here. The large improvements (hard/soft dynamics, etc) are all very exciting, but it's even more exciting to see the attention to details. Especially to the things asked for in the Feature Requests forum. The addition of the selection changes (select poly's from points, etc) are really nice...even though you can do that now with plugin's, it's encouraging to see that they're being added to the shipping program.

Oh, and incremental saves is truly a treat! I think tha majority of people already do something like this, and to have it work automatically will definitely make working more enjoyable.

Happy New Year's from one very content LW fan. :cool:

sire
01-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Mmmhhh... Mouthwatering sights there. :) I only wonder why there has to be an extra dope track. The normal time line seems pretty obsolete with this now, so actually it could be completely replaced, right? The time slider could run above the line instead of on top of it then, that is where now the bar is which unfolds the dope track. Beside the time line would be room for displaying the current frame (which had to move away from the slider if redesigned as suggested).

cresshead
01-01-2004, 06:09 PM
maybe the "old"timeline shows all keyframes in the scene where as the dope timeline maybe stacked with several ones on top of each other if you select more than one object...so you'd have the basic timeline on the bottom then 3 or 4 dope tracks above when you expand it out....as with most things we're only seeing what they show us!...sort of like looking at a xmas present by tearing off the corner of the box wrapping paper...you lny see a part of it and not the whole present...

it's a wait n see situation

toby
01-01-2004, 08:22 PM
My mind is changed, I was planning on waiting to get [8] but after seeing this stuff I want to get it as soon as I can afford it.

Thanks to Deuce for doing the Quicktimes - I have some mpeg4 settings for you to try, I've been able to get the movies to half the file size with a lot less artifacting using:
Quality set to Low/Medium
Keyframe every 240 frames

hrgiger
01-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I wasn't acutally planning on getting it because of money, but I'm selling my sasquatch to Dodgy and got some money for Christmas so I ordered my upgrade a little over a week ago.

UPS shows I have a package being delivered tomorrow and it's 4.90 lbs. I imagine that's my DFX bundle and not the new dongle that I ordered around the same time. Unless the New USB dongle weighs almost 5lbs...:D

Exper
01-02-2004, 02:58 AM
Awesome! ;)

Original1
01-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Yeah, I wasn't acutally planning on getting it because of money, but I'm selling my sasquatch to Dodgy and got some money for Christmas so I ordered my upgrade a little over a week ago.

UPS shows I have a package being delivered tomorrow and it's 4.90 lbs. I imagine that's my DFX bundle and not the new dongle that I ordered around the same time. Unless the New USB dongle weighs almost 5lbs...:D

Have fun the DFX tutorials on the DVD will keep you busy till LW8 arrives It will be like having 2 Christmases:cool:

mkiii
01-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Edge tools are probably the most useful addition to me, being primary a model/texture guy, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen what all that edge adding, bevelling & deleting does to an existing UV Map?

Dodgy
01-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Edge adding is okay, unless it crosses a poly with discontinuous uv maps, in which case it treats the edge as if it only has one uv set along the edge. :P

The edgebevel creates the new points without uvs.

Edgedelete doesa the same as add edges, works fine till it crosses a discontinuous UV border.

This is taken from the free plugins which seem to be the one which were added to LW, they may have been fixed to work with discontinuous uvs, but I'm betting not..

Capt Lightwave
01-04-2004, 04:08 PM
I can't help but wonder: Will the new IK Boost tool work on object chains too or is it customized for bones only?

cresshead
01-04-2004, 05:37 PM
ik boost for object chains...?

that's a good question..as you'd be usingobject chains for a robot...i remember proton or deuce said at siggraph that bones now had all these abilities built into them..ik,bone dynamics,proky objects etc so it's possible that ik boost may only work on bones...

we'll have to wait for proton to get back most possibly for a reply on this question after macworld which end on the 9th jan 2004

thekho
01-04-2004, 05:51 PM
The Layout demos (ikboost, HardFX, SoftFX and go on) looks very awesome but the modeler demos looks okay not really new.

Will the Edge Tools works with symmerty?

CB_3D
01-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
ik boost for object chains...?

that's a good question..as you'd be usingobject chains for a robot...i remember proton or deuce said at siggraph that bones now had all these abilities built into them..ik,bone dynamics,proky objects etc so it's possible that ik boost may only work on bones...

we'll have to wait for proton to get back most possibly for a reply on this question after macworld which end on the 9th jan 2004

I once rigged a robot with hard parts and used bones...i always felt more comfortable with them than with object chains, donīt ask me why. That was in version 3.5, i think. It can be done with falloff limits or weights. So, if the new ik tools only work with bones, that would be the way to go, no big deal.

toby
01-04-2004, 08:51 PM
isn't that a lot more work plus more processing power?

I'd hope they wouldn't do that to us!

WilliamVaughan
01-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Capt Lightwave
I can't help but wonder: Will the new IK Boost tool work on object chains too or is it customized for bones only?

Works Perfect...I setup my Skullbot with no problems...

Ade
01-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Proton in the next line of videos can u show off Modeler and rendering.

Many of us here arent big animators and have more interest in modeling and rendering for things like architecture and print.. If u cant spare the bandwidth can u put a list up of the modeling advancments, rendering and also as before stated what the "killer" open Gl enhancements are.. Also any progress on the mac speeds and parity sides would suffice.. :)

anieves
01-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by proton

you mean this one?;)
cool! I'm making a robot now but want to rig and animate it in 8.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/images/lw8/ikb_001.jpg

BTW a video of this save pose, load pose etc. would be cool!

Capt Lightwave
01-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by proton

Wonderful!

You know what?
You just made my day, William.....seriously, you did.
Thanks.

evenflcw
01-05-2004, 01:52 PM
I agree. It sounds as if the new IK/bone tools have been thought out and implemented very well. I hope we'll see other areas recieve the same thourough workthrough. I know I wouldn't mind contextual rmb menues and more visual aids right in the viewports for just about everything.

Lord_Ty_Benson
01-05-2004, 06:12 PM
!!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!
!!!
!!
!
PROTON,
When downloading the demos I have noticed now that the ftp site has went down and I cant seem to get connected. I have already downloaded 222 mbs of them on my 56k connection...:(
But I still want to see modellers edge beveling, bridge help and soft FX...
And I dont want to give up now I'm too exited! Btw when should we be expecting the next couple of installments of demos?

Kind Regards, Tyson.
!
!!
!!!
!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!!!

SamuraiSlayer
01-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Lord_Ty_Benson: I have the demo videos from this thread, i can send the ones you don't have on MSN Messenger or AIM...