PDA

View Full Version : recursive / nested instancing in LW 2018?

3dworks
10-03-2018, 05:31 AM
how can i achieve recursive instancing in LW 2018? in LW 2015 it was possible in a way using DP instancer - which had a 'including instances' checkbox in it's instancer setup dialog - , which is not supported anymore. i would like to use a hidden placement polygon inside a furniture piece (a chair) to position sitting people. the chair with instance should then being instanced as well. of course i could use one polygon to place chair and sitting person together, but i would like to have a better workflow and flexibility by independently assigning random sitting people to individual pieces of furniture, then instancing these in my scene. also this way i could use poygon placement for the nested instances combide with surface placement for the main one.

any trick to do this in LW 2018? any way to get DP instancer to work in LW 2018? any updates planned?

EDIT: i forgot to specify that i am rendering in octane, so LW native volumetric solutions are not going to work.

jwiede
10-18-2018, 06:41 PM
I believe the answer is: It isn't unless/until a LW2018-compatible DP Instancer is released (by DP, NT, whomever).

AFAIK, DP Instancer was the sole native solution on LW that supported recursive instancing.

3dworks
10-19-2018, 03:23 AM
I believe the answer is: It isn't unless/until a LW2018-compatible DP Instancer is released (by DP, NT, whomever).

AFAIK, DP Instancer was the sole native solution on LW that supported recursive instancing.

so maybe this would be on the whish list for LW 2019! let's hope NT is listening! ;-)

gar26lw
10-19-2018, 08:09 AM
use 2015