PDA

View Full Version : Chains

wingwalker
12-31-2003, 08:27 AM
Hi... does anyone know how to animate a chain.

I have made ten links and tried various methods IK, FK and motion designer, to animate it... i am inclined to go with MD but get crappy results (ie very little interaction between the links).

I have three layers to the chain:-

Fixed link in Blue...for everything to hang off

and the verical and horizontal links

I have been through the manual and tried all sorts of settings but the links fall through the fixed link on a straight path Y-

Is there something fundamentaly wrong with my setup?

Any advice would be apprecated.

If you need any more info just ask.

Rob T

wingwalker
12-31-2003, 08:30 AM
'

munky
12-31-2003, 12:30 PM
Hello wingwalker and a happy new year

You might want to look at the attached file which just uses parenting and has the links pivot points in roughly the right places (bit of a rush). You have to consider just how each link hangs off the one above it. If you are going to get more complex then you might want to check out Steve Worleys Polk collection which has a displacement plug in called dangle; good for chains etc or perhaps Fi's bezier bend (flay.com)

hope this helps

regards

paul

wingwalker
12-31-2003, 01:08 PM
Hi Paul

Im just looking at the file youve posted...is it just straight keyframes?

Ive downloaded the Beizer bend plugin and will have a look tomorrow.

Happy New Year to all!!!

Thanks Munky

Rob T

munky
12-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Wingwalker you're welcome

Yup it's just keyframes and parenting. Note where the axis have been moved to.
It's not too accurate as I knocked it up for you in a few minutes but it should give you the gist of what I was getting at.

Fi's bezier bend is really good for loads of things.

regards

paul

themaxx
12-31-2003, 06:27 PM
i realize this doesn't help right now, but it looks like [8] is going to have a bang-up solution to this. check out the hard link/cloth video that proton put up. here's a link to the thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15824

wingwalker
12-31-2003, 07:13 PM
thanks maxx

interesting to know...might wait a whie before i go ahead with this part of my project.