PDA

View Full Version : OGL representation of a Spot Light gone?

tburbage
10-01-2018, 09:43 AM
I noticed that in OGL, a Spot light is now just a point in space with cone angle representation vectors drawing out from it.
Didn't this used to have a shuttered sort of theatre light representation?
Screen caps in the docs show what I'm seeing now, and I lit up 2015 and it is the same as now, so if a bug, it has been there a while... No big deal obviously, but just seems inconsistent with the other light type representations.

MonroePoteet
10-01-2018, 11:42 AM
I'm seeing the Camera icon for the Spotlight in both LW11.6 and LW2015.3:

142959 LW11.6

142960 LW2015.3

In LW2018, a "size" was added to allow blurred shadows for the Spotlight, and increasing the size beyond the default of 0 shows an oriented ring for the Spotlight with the Size. For example, at 200mm:

Perhaps LWDG decided the Camera icon obstructed the Size ring and decided to eliminate it.

mTp

Ma3rk
10-01-2018, 12:08 PM
I noticed that in OGL, a Spot light is now just a point in space with cone angle representation vectors drawing out from it.
Didn't this used to have a shuttered sort of theatre light representation?
Screen caps in the docs show what I'm seeing now, and I lit up 2015 and it is the same as now, so if a bug, it has been there a while... No big deal obviously, but just seems inconsistent with the other light type representations.

Ya, most are a bit different now in that they're less cluttered. For the spot you still have the cone angle rays though as you noticed. Try enabling the Affect Volumetrics and the corresponding enables in the Render settings then play around with the different types of lights.

I've been having a blast completely lighting a huge interior model I got from DAZ or such. Imported into Layout as an FBX. There are some instanced items that didn't get re-instanced, but pretty much all the lighting objects, candles, lamps, etc. had geometry where I could make my own via Luxigons & that worked quite well. Other places, I used a smattering of every type there is nearly.

tburbage
10-02-2018, 11:34 PM
I'm seeing the Camera icon for the Spotlight in both LW11.6 and LW2015.3:

142959 LW11.6

142960 LW2015.3

In LW2018, a "size" was added to allow blurred shadows for the Spotlight, and increasing the size beyond the default of 0 shows an oriented ring for the Spotlight with the Size. For example, at 200mm:

Perhaps LWDG decided the Camera icon obstructed the Size ring and decided to eliminate it.

mTp

Yeah, that was what I was missing -- the (Luminaire) Size defaults to 0, or a point in space, so I couldn't see it.

tburbage
10-02-2018, 11:41 PM
had geometry where I could make my own via Luxigons & that worked quite well.

Ah, Luxigons. It was an interesting concept before the days of FBX that you could pre-rig a model with lights already positioned.

BeeVee
10-04-2018, 06:46 AM
You can also enlarge your spots and then you'll see more of a representation in OGL.

B