PDA

View Full Version : Drag and drop

Andy Webb
09-28-2018, 06:29 AM
I checked this out in LW help:

"Dragging and Dropping

Many files can be loaded simply by dragging and dropping them onto LightWave's interface, including scene files, objects, images and animations."

But this doesn't seem to work, does anyone have this working?

Cheers

mummyman
09-28-2018, 06:57 AM
In 2015 scenes, images and objects work for me. I haven't been able to try in 2018 yet.

Andy Webb
09-28-2018, 07:09 AM
I don't seem to have this working in 2015 either :(

mummyman
09-28-2018, 07:12 AM
Odd! I'm in Win 10. Doubt that matters. Sorry, I don't have any other way to test it to get it to not work. Unless it has something to do with upon install, I remember messages about LWS and objects. But I can't remember what it asks about them. Almost like a "always open with this program" type thing. Not sure.

Oh.. just noticed you have WIN 10 too... my bad

MonroePoteet
09-28-2018, 07:43 AM
This works for me in both LW2015 and LW2018 on Windows 7, at least for Objects and Scenes. A caveat about LW2015: drag-n-dropping a Scene onto Layout invokes the Load Scene functionality, throwing away anything in Layout loaded previously and doesn't pop up a "Save Scene". LW2018 pops up the standard panel providing an option to "Save and Load" or just "Load".

mTp

Kryslin
09-28-2018, 08:11 AM
Also, Win10 has issues (as in, it won't allow it) dragging and dropping into apps with differing privileges (elevated, run as admin vs. non-elevated privileges). I've never used the drag -n- drop in Lightwave, but I ran into this with some forum software.

prometheus
09-29-2018, 07:56 AM
works for me with 2018 and windows 10, dragging lwo objects from file browser to modeler, and also to layout, also works to drag images on to image editor as well.

Andy Webb
09-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Found the problem, I was running LW taskbar icons as administrator but the exe files were not set to run as administrator...

jeric_synergy
09-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Found the problem, I was running LW taskbar icons as administrator but the exe files were not set to run as administrator...

I don't even know how to tell if my taskbar icons are automatically adminstrator (since I am, you'd think, but often get alert dialogs)....

I bet this is a common problem, and as such should be added to the dox if it's not already in there. Same with Mac equivalents.

jwiede
10-02-2018, 01:31 PM
It's as if an error dialog ran over all of the LW devs' dogs when they were kids.

Kryslin
10-02-2018, 05:14 PM
I don't even know how to tell if my taskbar icons are automatically adminstrator (since I am, you'd think, but often get alert dialogs)....

I bet this is a common problem, and as such should be added to the dox if it's not already in there. Same with Mac equivalents.

Usually, desktop and taskbar icons (which are shortcuts) that are set to run as admin have a little shield icon in the lower right corner (Mine are blue and gold).

This is an OS security feature for Windows (10 for sure, I don't have running 7 & 8 machines anymore). Mention of it in the docs as a possible reason why Drag and Drop won't work should be included for troubleshooting purposes. However, it's not a Lightwave only thing. I'm not familiar with MacOS, so I can't say anything about what Macs do or don't do in this regard.

jeric_synergy
10-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Usually, desktop and taskbar icons (which are shortcuts) that are set to run as admin have a little shield icon in the lower right corner (Mine are blue and gold).

This is an OS security feature for Windows (10 for sure, I don't have running 7 & 8 machines anymore). Mention of it in the docs as a possible reason why Drag and Drop won't work should be included for troubleshooting purposes. However, it's not a Lightwave only thing. I'm not familiar with MacOS, so I can't say anything about what Macs do or don't do in this regard.

Huh. NONE of my Taskbar nor Start menu icons have the little blue shield, which I think I've seen before, maybe on folders?? (W10).

Andy Webb
10-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Well to add to the fun of this, with run as administrator OFF drag and drop works but I've now noticed the CFG files are not saved after exiting LW. With run as administrator ON the CFG files are saved but drag and drop doesn't work.

The reason for the CFG files not being saved when run as administrator is OFF, is because LW is seen as not having the correct privileges to write to the C drive :((

raymondtrace
10-04-2018, 11:54 AM
The default location for CFG files is in your own user space so it should not matter if you are running as admin or not. There may be deeper system issue here.

jwiede
10-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Well to add to the fun of this, with run as administrator OFF drag and drop works but I've now noticed the CFG files are not saved after exiting LW. With run as administrator ON the CFG files are saved but drag and drop doesn't work.

The reason for the CFG files not being saved when run as administrator is OFF, is because LW is seen as not having the correct privileges to write to the C drive :((

Are you directing LW to put your config files in a custom location, or are they in the default location? If the default, they should be user-accessible in Windows regardless.

(edit) Forum-instigated double post removed. Grr.

Andy Webb
10-05-2018, 04:18 AM
Yes they are not in the default location, I use the -c switch.

Andy Webb
10-05-2018, 04:47 AM
Just moved the CFG files into my user directory and removed "run as administrator" and it now all works fine.

So the -c switch is effectively redundant now! It would have been more than useful to know, I've been using that for years, it's been a force of habit I suppose...

raymondtrace
10-05-2018, 06:35 AM
You can still use a custom directory. You just need to choose a directory that is not protected by Windows OS. For example, you should not use the -c switch to place these config files in the "C:\Program Files\Newtek\Lightwave" folder. Windows OS protects user data from being written to the Program Files directory.

Andy Webb
10-05-2018, 06:55 AM
You can still use a custom directory. You just need to choose a directory that is not protected by Windows OS. For example, you should not use the -c switch to place these config files in the "C:\Program Files\Newtek\Lightwave" folder. Windows OS protects user data from being written to the Program Files directory.

Unfortunately that is what I was doing :(

raymondtrace
10-05-2018, 08:25 AM
You can still keep your config files with your Lightwave program. You just need to install (or move) Lightwave to someplace other than the protected "Program Files" location (ex: "C:\LW\version[x]"). Lightwave is very portable.

I run mine mostly from a USB thumbdrive. My shortcut target looks like this:
J:\PortableApps\LightWave2018.0.6\bin\Layout.exe -c"J:\PortableApps\LightWave2018.0.6\Configs"

Of course, if you choose to move the LW installation, be sure to run a text find/replace on the old/new paths in your configs.