PDA

View Full Version : Radiosty cache strategy question

robyht
09-27-2018, 04:38 AM
Hi
A little confused as to the best way to render a few scenes.

I have metal platforms in a large hanger, the platforms move backward and forward, bits on them go up and down etc, I have a selection of shots in various positions around the hanger featuring different platforms. I am using simple backdrop only radiosity, Now is it best to have a separate cache file for each shot, leaving it on "preprocess: Automatic", or is it best to use the same cache file for all the shots, as they all are in the same environment ie the hanger?

Any advice would be appreciated

Using LW 11.6 btw.

Thanks

Rob

Axis3d
09-28-2018, 10:11 AM
You would be creating an animated cache file. If the animation of the moving objects from shot to shot is exactly the same, and only the camera is changing position, then, in theory, you should be able to use the same cache file.
But each time the camera changes to a different angle, you may reveal a part of the shot that was not captured in the cache file. So you may need to update the cache file from that new camera position.

peebeearr
10-01-2018, 10:42 PM
Hi
A little confused as to the best way to render a few scenes.

I have metal platforms in a large hanger, the platforms move backward and forward, bits on them go up and down etc, I have a selection of shots in various positions around the hanger featuring different platforms. I am using simple backdrop only radiosity, Now is it best to have a separate cache file for each shot, leaving it on "preprocess: Automatic", or is it best to use the same cache file for all the shots, as they all are in the same environment ie the hanger?

Any advice would be appreciated

Using LW 11.6 btw.

Thanks

Rob

Try this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTbT1PX14YE

robyht
10-02-2018, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the replies
I have tried a variety of ways with the cache, I started by adding all the shots to the same cache but it became huge and still featured splotches, the animated cache worked well, but takes longer to create. So in the end I just used a new cache for each of the shots, it largely works well, although on occasion there are a few flashes on surfaces if the objects move although this did not happen in the majority of the shots. What I did do was to move through the animation and bake a few frames ahead so the cache had more data in the new areas, that seemed to help a bit with the moving platforms, I don't think it would help with more complex animated objects but for the simple movements I was doing it worked well

Thanks for the video Peebeear, is there a translation to english anywhere?