PDA

View Full Version : Content Directory

GregMalick
12-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Any ideas on why (in Modeler) when my Content directory is set to C:\Lightwave\Objects\ and I use Load Object, it displays C:\Documents & Settings\Default\Local Settings\Temp\

Actually I can set the content directory to anything and it always looks in C:\Documents & Settings\Default\Local Settings\Temp\

This is LW 7.5c on Windows XP Pro.

Any help is appreciated. :confused:

GregMalick
12-31-2003, 01:37 AM
I discovered it always reverts back to the last directory I opened an object from.

But that happens when I use the default File Dialog (Windows)....

When I use VBFileRequester it goes to that stupid TEMP directory...

Is something hosed in my system... I just upgraded from 7.5 to 7.5c (probably a stupid thing to do) :o

p.s. reinstalling/repairing 7.5c doesn't seem to fix it.

Simon
12-31-2003, 04:03 AM
Hi,

You shouldn't set the content directory to:

C:\Lightwave\Objects\

because it's looking in that folder for other folders called scenes, images, & objects

you should set it to:

C:\Lightwave\

Simon.

GregMalick
12-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Aloha Simon,
You're absolutely right! Thank you for the help.

How about another easy question?

On 1.8 of The Manual, the Load Object snapshot shows images for tga files when using the "Show Icons" option. lwo files don't seem to display a "preview" icon in modeler. Is that just the way it is or do I have a problem?

Greg

Simon
01-01-2004, 05:23 AM
Hi - You mean on 3.8 (I'm looking at the version 7 manual) the VBFileRequester thingy? Well I usually use the normal windows requester but yes my lwo's have a question mark if that's what you mean. Only the images have a preview picture so I think that's how it's meant to work, unless someone else knows otherwise!

Simon.

GregMalick
01-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi Simon,

Yes, I meant 3.8. I'll assume that it won't display lwo's - which is a shame since 3D Browser Pro will (I'm sure others will too). NT should incorporate this feature into their file browser (even as an browser option). That would be a helpful improvement in a future version.

Thanks for the help.

Hurben
05-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Is this feature available in version 8?

Loading objects that are really generic shapes is tricky without this feature.. I have folders full of objects with the weirdest names, if only I could see them as I am selecting them.

Even if it could take a screenshot of the perspective view and use that as a thumbnail in the file requester, it would make me happy.

mkiii
05-04-2004, 06:32 AM
I may have dreamt it, but I thought I saw a free 3d viewer on the bonus CD that comes with LW8... I don't have 8 here at work yet, so I can't confirm this.

otherwise, Deep Exploration from www.righthemisphere.com (download the fully working demo) does a good job of loading LW objects & scene files.

Hurben
05-06-2004, 02:46 AM
Deep Exploration from www.righthemisphere.com (download the fully working demo) does a good job of loading LW objects & scene files.

Do you mean you can load objects into Lightwave with Deep Exploration?? I don't know about that.

Wade
05-06-2004, 06:07 AM
http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/index.htm

3D browser - Great stuff and basic stuff = free.

:D

GregMalick
05-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Yeah, but you can't use 3D browser within LW. At least I don't know how. Please explain if you have figured out how to use it as a replacement file picker when you "Load Object into Scene" :)

bloontz
05-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Hurlyworks has had a demo vid of a plug he's developing called load this on his site for ages- http://www.hurleyworks.com/. I don't know if he's still working on it but it would be great to have.

Deep exploration demo will allow you to preview objects and open them in modeller by double clicking the thumbnail if you set it up that way. It always opens a new instace of modeller though (at least on my setup) which limits it a bit. Anyone know of a way to have it load into an already running instance? Is there a setting in windows for that?

Hurben
05-06-2004, 01:26 PM
omg! bloontz .. that 'LoadThis' @ hurleyworks is so much more than I was even looking for.. the search functions are so cool..

I hope this gets released soon.. does anyone know any more about this handy little tool?

Maybe Newtek would be interested.. ;)