PDA

View Full Version : Photo Studio Lights

grafxstudio
09-22-2018, 12:30 PM
I used a modified version of the 4 point lighting scene file that's in the content folder. I'm wondering if anybody else is using this and if you have changed this to photometric lights? if you are using them which ones are you using? Between the ones Kat has given away on Liberty3d and the ones I found online, I'm not sure which ones to use. Also how do you make diffuser, soft boxes, use reflectors or any other lights a photographer would use in a photo studio.
Thanks in advance for any help you could help with.

tischbein3
09-22-2018, 05:36 PM
with textured area lights...before 2018 this was nearly impossible due to high noise. In 2018 you got importance sampling, google for hdr studio lights
I also got a bunch for small money, wich are not calibrated (you need to tweak them in lw and even in photoshop) and I also got
a second set wich I want to publish sometimes.
if you want them I will post a link to them.

Ma3rk
09-23-2018, 01:31 AM
I used a modified version of the 4 point lighting scene file that's in the content folder. I'm wondering if anybody else is using this and if you have changed this to photometric lights? if you are using them which ones are you using? Between the ones Kat has given away on Liberty3d and the ones I found online, I'm not sure which ones to use. Also how do you make diffuser, soft boxes, use reflectors or any other lights a photographer would use in a photo studio.
Thanks in advance for any help you could help with.

I've been doing a lot of scene lighting of recent but a bit more involved than just 4 point. With 2018, it seems like a number of factors just came together that make the process pretty staight forward now.

One of those factors for me was the FBX format. Once I got the correct flavor and options figured out that were compatible, it makes working on different aspects (such as UVing or texture painting) but using other apps then bring that into LW pretty painless.

Another thing that really triggered my renewed interest in ies lights was OD Tools 2018. Oliver gave a copy of his ies library when you bought the tools & his Library over 40,000 lights; a bit unwieldly actually trying to figure out what is suitable just going by thumbnails. What I did is created a very simple scene with a cove cyc and one light with simple animation with keys at significant heights and distances. With the OD IES Presets, I can quickly cycle through a library & see the effect in 3D space & not just a 2D thumb that's sometimes wrong with it's preview plane.

Here's what the setup looks like:

Unfortunately, ies profiles might have a description of color temp, but the light itself doesn't have that value, nor any easy way of saving that as a lighting preset. Again, OD Tools has several nice solutions, a recent one being the addition to the Scene Presets of loading just the lights. Literally two clicks to load it the light with chosen color, intensity, etc.

142871 142872

Lately, I've been able to take a DAZ or Poser model, simply open then export as FBX, then fire up Lightwave. FBX's can be opened in either Modeler or layout & behaves differently & each has advantages. Opened in Layout, animation & rigging are "preserved" although only as FK. With both Poser & DAZ, you get ton of add'l nulls for everything that are annoying as you might imagine. Clean them up or learn to ignore depending what you're needing to do. Instances don't import correctly so some manual work might be needed. Probably a ODTool script that would handle that, but ... All the textures come in as Standard so all will need to be fiddled with &/or converted. Be carefull of just willy-nilly converting if there are textures. Might be a script for that too. Part of later experiments list.

Once in layout, it's pretty easy to selectively edit items as needed. Generally, I reduce tri polys but some items might benefit from anything from retopo work, better UV's, etc. So, I might end up sending just that item generally as a another FBX to something like 3DCoat or RizomUV then sync the updated model back to Layout.

Anyway, here are some samples. All of the lighting is Lightwave from native area lights,ies profiles, and luxigon conversion using help from the existing models geom.

In this last one, it wasn't until I rendered this angle that I noticed the crystal danglies that I need to re-textured. Already changed for the next F9. Part of the fun.

These are still a work in progress, but I can now rapidly do a lot of what-iffing with lights that I could never do easily before.

grafxstudio
09-25-2018, 12:20 PM
How do you make a textured Area Light?

Tim Parsons
09-25-2018, 01:37 PM
How do you make a textured Area Light?

Just slap an image on it. :) In the light properties towards the bottom there is an image dropdown with Area, NGon and Spherical lights. Spotlight has one too. You can also hit the edit nodes button and do about anything you want with a light. This of course if you are using 2018.