PDA

View Full Version : Boolean Subtract Not Subtracting...

xsjwheeler
09-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Any advice on how to avoid this would be greatly appreciated. Model attached. Attempting to subtract hex bolts from the motor mount layer. The subtract is not 'subtracting' from the surface polys (top and bottom), which screws up my STL export for 3D printing. Any ideas?

Sensei
09-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Did you try:
- tripling polygons (if you have n-gons)
- removing 1,2 point polygons
- unify polygons (just in case)
- slightly offset one mesh by tiny amount (I remember it helped me not once).

Ma3rk
09-21-2018, 11:46 PM
What he said:

No need to triple, etc. really. The 2 vert polys will get ya every time.

xsjwheeler
09-22-2018, 04:19 AM
Thank you for the tips. Its working fine now!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the tips, the model works great now, and now i know what to look for moving forward. Thanks also for taking the time to render the images...

erikals
09-22-2018, 07:15 AM
also adding,

try to slice one object or both objects,
sometimes followed by tripling

jwiede
09-22-2018, 05:56 PM
BTW, if your workflow generally involves lots of booleans, you might also want to seriously consider purchasing 3rdPowers' MetaMesh plugin.

erikals
09-23-2018, 04:47 AM
Absolutely, love that plugin for sure!

some Youtube examples >
https://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst/search?query=MetaMesh

jwiede
09-23-2018, 03:02 PM
I will add, though, that if that kind of boolean detail modeling workflow is a common activity, the OP might also want to consider adding either ZBrush/3DCoat, or possibly {3D package that cannot be named in these forums} to help with modeling. The former options contain specific tools to enhance that kind of detailing, albeit in more of a sculpting workflow. The latter has much more advanced and extensive boolean and procedural modeling tools in general, offering flexibility and precision that would be difficult to replicate in LW Modeler even using MetaMesh.

Whether it makes sense to invest in MetaMesh, or other tools/pkgs, all depends on just how common these kinds of tasks are in the user's typical workflow. If an every now and then kind of situation, Modeler might be fine as-is. If a bit more often (but not yet "common"), consider adding MetaMesh. If common/frequent, it's probably worth exploring pkgs with toolsets that specifically focus on and augment such detailing workflows, like the ones I cited (or didn't ;D ) above.