PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2015 and 2018 Gift to Turbosquid?

Airwaves
09-19-2018, 08:17 AM
So I may not be like most of the people on here who make their own models so this may not apply to some of you but I purchase models from turbosquid. Sometimes I have them convert them for me into Lightwave. The last email conversation I had with turbosquid they informed me they only have Lightwave 11 available to them. It does not sound like they will or plan on getting more licenses so I thought that maybe Newtek might be interested in offering them at least one free license of 2015 and 2018 to make it easier to use turbosquid with Lightwave.

This is just an idea that would help Lightwave users that purchase models off turbosquid. What do you guys think?

ernpchan
09-19-2018, 08:23 AM
Seems odd they would not want to make the investment themselves. Aren't they a business?

Axis3d
09-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Yeah, it is a little sad that they will have support for a free program like Blender, but not for a commercial program like Lightwave.

They definitely should be offering Lightwave models in the 2018 format so that all of the surfaces are already set up with the proper Principled BSDF shaders.

The biggest time-suck when downloading a model is converting all of the materials to the new workflow. Turbosquid has this new service/system called StemCell where they say that they want the model purchasing process to be as reliable as buying a stock photo.

Here is a quote from their site:
"Our vision is that buying a 3D model will be as reliable as buying a stock photo - it should just work."

Looks like we'll still be spending time downloading another file format and re-surfacing... ;(

Airwaves
09-20-2018, 12:19 PM
I have talked with turbosquid about the new StemCell. Every time I did talk with them about it the response was vague and I really wish Lightwave would reach out to them. I am guessing they are assuming Lightwave is slowing or people are not using that format anymore. The one lady I talked to a while back said that for StemCell they were working with the software companies but Lightwave was not one of them that she knew of. Sad...

DonJMyers
09-20-2018, 12:46 PM
I don't understand how, in this day and age, we don't really yet have a generic object model everyone agrees upon, like PDF is for docs.

Lightwolf
09-26-2018, 03:54 AM
I don't understand how, in this day and age, we don't really yet have a generic object model everyone agrees upon, like PDF is for docs.

I suspect you mean ODF, right? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

jwiede
09-26-2018, 03:32 PM

Hehe, dang, he beat me to it!

adk
09-26-2018, 04:43 PM

Cheers,
Mike

I suspect you both actually mean POF ? :D:D:D

next_n00b
10-17-2018, 04:53 PM
So I may not be like most of the people on here who make their own models so this may not apply to some of you but I purchase models from turbosquid. Sometimes I have them convert them for me into Lightwave. The last email conversation I had with turbosquid they informed me they only have Lightwave 11 available to them. It does not sound like they will or plan on getting more licenses so I thought that maybe Newtek might be interested in offering them at least one free license of 2015 and 2018 to make it easier to use turbosquid with Lightwave.

This is just an idea that would help Lightwave users that purchase models off turbosquid. What do you guys think?

I wonder how they managed to check my models in the last three years that were created in LW 2015 and LW 2018, if they only have the licensed LightWave 11.

jwiede
10-17-2018, 10:29 PM
I wonder how they managed to check my models in the last three years that were created in LW 2015 and LW 2018, if they only have the licensed LightWave 11.

Are you certain they checked them? Did they report finding anything?

next_n00b
10-18-2018, 02:11 AM
Actually they did report my one and only mistake, an unnamed layer in lwo. Of course I’ve never tried opening a 2015 scene in v11, but if they did and they approve CheckMate certification this way they must be ****. I have detected their weird and unprofessional behaviour in one case (one employee that either has been gone now or at least he doesn’t want to hear from me again). In short, they (he) had trouble opening and checking one of my model, refusing to tell me how I can help him. In the beginning they (he) actually tried to dismiss me without telling me I am dismissed :) And then they came up with the statement that my model is “too detailed for them” (to big in GB RAM). The only info I managed to get then was an info from another employee that they will try to leave Lightwave opening my model through the night :) My computers open this particular model in a minute, btw. A really bizarre situation. So because I am a nice guy I have wrote to this second support employee my thoughts what could be wrong and they finally managed to open and check. At least so they said. Therefore my conclusion with my limited knowledge of their workflow and my imagination is, that they source employees from all around the world (assumption based on their poor English) with inappropriate hardware to check larger models.

For my last model that I published in lw2018 format I got a nice, cooperative CheckMate person with no knowledge of new primitive type in LW. Actually they have approved CheckMatePro model without the wireframe presentation pictures :)

I got feeling that Lightwave is not their strongest area, but it is at least selling better then Blender (while there are much more Blender formats published).

next_n00b
10-18-2018, 03:46 AM

Turbosquid could buy 4 seats ONLY from my LW models sale.