PDA

View Full Version : Master & commander question...

Hervé
12-30-2003, 11:39 PM
I was on CG channel, and a few pictures showing renders, woaw, great...

They said they had used Renderman, best renderer in the world.... Is that true, could LW not render Master & Commander.... even easier... I am stumped.... ha ha;)

Beamtracer
12-31-2003, 12:43 AM
Hey, Hervé, how about a link to the story for those too lazy to go looking for it! ;)
http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=2278

It's interesting that Weta Digital in New Zealand is still getting work about from Lord Of The Rings (along with AsylumFX).

I didn't see any reference to what 3D package they used to model with.

Sastira
12-31-2003, 03:14 AM
I believe that the characters, at least some of them, including Gollum, were modeled with Mirai 1.1.

Here is a link to Bay Raitt's Digital Sculpting Forum, an amazing resource for character creators/animators!

http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/index.php

Beamtracer
12-31-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Sastira
I believe that the characters, at least some of them, including Gollum, were modeled with Mirai 1.1. Hmmm. Russell Crowe is not the prettiest guy around, but he doesn't look like Gollum yet. Maybe in a few years!!! ;)

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0311113/MC-37R.jpg

Come to think of it, there is a slight resemblance with Russell Crowe to Gollum!!!!!

lone
01-06-2004, 07:33 PM
there's a good article on MASTER AND COMMANDER in the new CINEFEX (along with a really long article on some movie about RINGS). there's also a MAKING OF book available. both are good, altho i'm sorry to say i only had a chance to glance thru them, and didn't see what software they used.

archiea
01-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
I was on CG channel, and a few pictures showing renders, woaw, great...

They said they had used Renderman, best renderer in the world.... Is that true, could LW not render Master & Commander.... even easier... I am stumped.... ha ha;)

Yeah.. these dayz everybody has "the best renderer in the world" unless they already have a "world class renderer"....

anyway....

What you get with renderman is the flexibility to create your own shaders from some very talented and savy shader writers....

So imagine the senario: Herve's monster movie gets greenlit and it centers around a tranlucent blob creature that can.. say .. turns into smoke when in danger as a form of camouflage... Se we would probably use SSS from Hikai(SP) or something ans try to do some kind of effect to get it to look like smke.. perhaps with Voxels.. so essentially we'd be working with an existing set of tools and make it work for our needs. Alot of the big studios tend to create some of this stuff from scratch.. and they also tend to have to work from a standpoint of doing tens if not hundreds of shots.. so pipeline issues are a concern.. So while we may mold our story to fit within our tool set, in Hollywood they tend to mold their toolsets to fit the story...

So in the end could LW so what was done in Master and commander... I'm sure to a certain extent.. but you also have to consider the scale that they were working in....

The most inspiring thing about the cinefex article was how the director from M&C saw LOTR and got inspired by Weta's miniature work... So much so that this director, who formerly relied on an entire digital sea for Perfect Storm, decided to get "back" to miniatures for some of his shots...

what inspired me more than Weta's work on Gollum was Weta's work in Minatures.. Simply beautiful.. what a difference it made...