PDA

View Full Version : Can Messiah Studio still be bought (and is it still worth it) ?

TheLexx
09-10-2018, 05:10 AM
The Messiah website (http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/index.html) has been back up for some months now - strange since it previously seemed like the end so comprehensively. I read elsewhere that user accounts are apparently still active. Can anyone confirm that ?

Does anyone know if Messiah can still be bought ? What does it consist of - a dongle to use with downloaded software, or is some other process like activation involved ? Finally, are any of you 'Wavers still using it and is it still as awesome as it was supposed to be "back in the day" ?

:)

3dbr
09-10-2018, 05:30 AM
This is the last film https://youtu.be/yRjs52uReN0 that I've done in Messiah + LW. Next will be only in LW. Hard without support...
Although still believe the Messiah is the best program for animation.

Activation of the arrival of е-mail.
When the Forum was, attempts to buy, but were unsuccessful. Refund was.
Now about attempts by unknown.
*sorry my english

Shloime
09-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Hi,
Activation was by some key file, which had to be on a flashdrive, which served as a dongle. At some point they switched to a yearly payment model, but for some time they didn't charge any money any more.
I do have it installed and functional, but honestly never really used it, although it looks promising for character anims.

raymondtrace
09-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Messiah is still a great tool.

From what I understand from the complete lack of development in recent years, the subscription method is only a sales gimmick. There has probably been no change to how licensing operates within the program. So you could buy a subscription to get the software & license, and then immediately cancel the subscription. I would encourage maintaining a subscription only if pmG demonstrated any real interest in maintaining this tool (hint: it does not).

The software licenses to the volume serial (volume ID) of the drive it is installed to. Recognizing that the web site & support may vanish and you may not be able to update the license with a future hard drive upgrade, your best bet is to install it to a USB portable drive. While the portable USB drive is still healthy, copy the serial number (volume ID) and store it with your Messiah program backups. When you need to move to a new portable USB drive, there are utilities that can assign the old serial number (volume ID) to the new drive.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/volumeid

(you could still update an internal hard drive's serial number but it might conflict with other software that relies on this unique identifier.)

EDIT: If you're a Mac/Linux user, don't bother. Messiah is a Windows app that only runs elsewhere (poorly) via Wine.

Shloime
09-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Update: They just charged me again 40.- $, so they are still alive enough to spend my money.

raymondtrace
09-13-2018, 06:44 AM
What updates have you received as a subscriber? If none, why do you keep giving money?

TheLexx
09-13-2018, 07:22 AM
What updates have you received as a subscriber? If none, why do you keep giving money?In your opinion, would Messiah automatically issue a license after one subscription payment ? For example, the tutorial site Cmivfx still allows the purchase of tutorials yet gives out no products in return, simply swallowing the money.

hrgiger
09-13-2018, 07:23 AM
the subscription you buy with the $40 is auto renewed. So unless you turn it off, it will keep charging you every year. They got me once. Once.

fishhead
09-13-2018, 07:37 AM
they got me, too - once. But paypal was seeing that I got a refund.

raymondtrace
09-13-2018, 08:20 AM
In your opinion, would Messiah automatically issue a license after one subscription payment ? For example, the tutorial site Cmivfx still allows the purchase of tutorials yet gives out no products in return, simply swallowing the money.

hrgiger & fishhead can affirm the process. The software should still work for them, even though they stopped paying.

Even though the developer was never communicative and appears to have given up maintenance, Messiah is still a good value for $65. The only caution I offer is to back up the hard drive's volume ID so that you can ensure perpetual licensing after drive replacements. I would not trust projectmessiah.com to persist to offer license updates after hard drive upgrades.

Even if you attempt to purchase a license now...only to discover their web site is abandoned and they fail to deliver a license, you can still get a refund from Paypal. If I didn't already have a license, I would certainly try it now.

TheLexx
09-13-2018, 05:29 PM
This is the last film https://youtu.be/yRjs52uReN0 that I've done in Messiah + LW. Next will be only in LW. Hard without support...
Although still believe the Messiah is the best program for animation.

Activation of the arrival of е-mail.
When the Forum was, attempts to buy, but were unsuccessful. Refund was.
Now about attempts by unknown.
*sorry my english

A very good effort 3dbr, well done, and thank you for trying hard to explain everything to me when English is not your first language. Greetings to Donbass ! :)

TheLexx
09-13-2018, 05:31 PM
I can now confirm Messiah is indeed still available to buy - or at least I managed to get one anyway. It seemed a bit of a process compared to my usual experiences, but I now have the 32-bit Messiah Studio 6 Pro all licensed and working on a USB stick. I am really happy and tomorrow will try to get the 64-bit version up to speed. Thank you raymondtrace and everyone else here who posted. :)

calilifestyle
09-13-2018, 06:09 PM
I can now confirm Messiah is indeed still available to buy - or at least I managed to get one anyway. It seemed a bit of a process compared to my usual experiences, but I now have the 32-bit Messiah Studio 6 Pro all licensed and working on a USB stick. I am really happy and tomorrow will try to get the 64-bit version up to speed. Thank you raymondtrace and everyone else here who posted. :)

you where able to get a key . Man i can't get them to reset mine for over 2 months

TheLexx
09-14-2018, 01:52 AM
you where able to get a key . Man i can't get them to reset mine for over 2 monthsAs you can guess from this thread I am no expert at all, but when you say "reset" it implies they gave you a license in the first place, in which case you are a legitimate user, so would not the trick suggested by raymondtrace about volume IDs work for you ? :)

raymondtrace
09-14-2018, 06:37 AM
Unfortunately, that trick does not work if you've already tossed an old hard drive or lost it to wear ...without first backing up the volume ID. That's why everybody should back it up now.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5825/Changing-volume-s-serial-number

raymondtrace
09-14-2018, 06:48 AM
I can now confirm Messiah is indeed still available to buy - or at least I managed to get one anyway...

Like LW, there are plugins for Messiah. And just like LW, you may need to go to archive.org to recover them from shuttered websites.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131207234537/http://zoogono.com/plugins.cfm

Setuptab.com was a good resource and you can still see forum discussion through archive.org. However, the video training on setuptab.com was not archived.

You can still find some video training on the YouTubes.

Qexit
09-14-2018, 08:06 AM
My copy of Project Messiah Pro6 is installed on a USB Flash Drive...which appears to still be working fine. However, if all else fails I do have a fallback option :D

and yes that is a Shave and A Haircut dongle sat alongside my old P:M CD and original USB dongle. Not so easy to get Shave back up and working though as my current PC does not possess a parallel port.

The Dommo
09-14-2018, 08:22 AM
Boris Goreta uses Messiah still for every animation project, and he's running latest LW and Octane etc. No problems for him. His work is awesome.

TheLexx
09-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Can't hide my jealousy Qexit. :D Do you have a view on Shave and haircut compared to Sasquatch or FiberFX ?

I get the distinct impression that Messiah is a tiny operation and they may have suffered a bit of a blow with their plans beyond that famous email, ie they were telling the truth at the time but something went wrong. Then they got wise to people cancelling subscriptions in response. Long story short, my speculation is they will not, or are unable to, answer any queries, but when some cash rolls their way the system crackles into life for a couple of minutes and someone presses a few buttons, then goes back to sleep again. If that is true, then it is easily worth buying another license even if there was a previous one - like if I lose the license I just bought, there would be no way I would particularly expect to see it again. Just a speculation though. Incidentally, I never cancelled the subscription (yet) as I found it totally amazing that the "deadware" is in fact still breathing and even the full price of $399 seemed reasonable.

TheLexx
09-14-2018, 09:59 AM
You can still find some video training on the YouTubes.
Thanks. I couldn't help noticing that 3dbr here has 50 of them on his YT channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKyFqLMykrQ&list=PLDBE76F3DB52FA2E3

calilifestyle
09-14-2018, 11:46 AM
As you can guess from this thread I am no expert at all, but when you say "reset" it implies they gave you a license in the first place, in which case you are a legitimate user, so would not the trick suggested by raymondtrace about volume IDs work for you ? :)
Nope not sure when or why but at some point the SSD Volume ID changed i guess.

Julez4001
12-20-2018, 08:03 AM
I bought 2 to 3 license during their $10 and $40 sale years ago plus own 2 license already.
I have sent several emails to get the last 2 activated and never get a response.
I operated mostly out of version 5 as 6 and autorigger has some bugs in it.

Is it worth it? YES. Even by todays standards, its workflow and tools are still better than Lightwave as tehy are designed to work together and not bolted on.
The setup tab still licks ***, graph editor (flatten keys), non-linear animator editor (COMPOSE) works awesomely, sliders, auto rigger, grease pencil, one button silouette.

My workflow is MDD export, Multi MDD loader (love this tool) into LW

TheLexx
12-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Thanks for commenting Julez4001. I found all the training material is now gone. The Joe Cosman dvds are unavailable with Joe seemingly too busy to respond to contact, the John Riggs dvd on...rigging (can you believe that ?) is gone, and the Wegg training materials have gone, though I did eventually manage to get some incomplete Cosman material (I'll buy if anyone else is selling).

They certainly picked their moment to go live with the website again. After hearing some horror stories I still went for it and was amazed when my money didn't simply vanish and they gave me a license, then doubly amazed when I got a second email next day asking if everything went okay ! :dance:

Is your MDD workflow using an extra plugin ? Messiah does seem excellent but my progress is slow.

Julez4001
12-20-2018, 11:32 AM
The Lexx

How can I help you. I still use it constantly.
Just ask questions here and I will answer eventually.

There is no plugin for my workflow, everything is built inside of Messiaha nd LW 2015\2018 that you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBciJuyY1wo&list=PLFBDE94E514375FEA

This is the 3Dworld magazine playlist for 12 videos of Messiah

I have downloaded a lot from the past and thought of making a website just to house my production notes as sometimes I forget or have to find my notebook on
how I did such a thing.

Julez4001
12-20-2018, 11:36 AM
TheLexx ...are you on FaceBook?

TheLexx
12-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Thanks Julez4001. I am not on Facebook, but I'll post any questions here for anyone to chip in. Many thanks for the link.

Julez4001
12-20-2018, 12:30 PM
If you can get on FaceBook, it makes posting images and videos really easy. I can do screen grabs and such mush faster.

Anything you hung up on now?

Julez4001
12-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Messiah 5 online manual by Ulven

http://www.eggswhyzed.com/messiah_docs/?fbclid=IwAR2TGcU8ko2pFrCRU-E3mOWsj3nnv9reZ_NxNTQorCk2vkeAxJ7_8YiGQRA

Julez4001
12-21-2018, 12:40 AM
FAceBook group already have 19 members in less 24 hours...thats encouraging.