PDA

View Full Version : Rednova's comic books thread

rednova
09-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Hi:

I decided to start a new thread on comic books.
I have a big collection of comics, I started reading 2 years ago and I only got half way thru.
Is possible it will take me 1 to 2 years to finish all.
I love all houses the same, Dc, marvel and dark horse, I love all well.
My number one favorite is the first volume of the original Doctor Strange created by
Stan Lee. I love that one the best.
Do you like comic books ? Which one is your favorite ?

erikals
09-08-2018, 10:33 AM
Spider-Man

the one and only

bazsa73
09-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Phantom

Stevenetpa
09-21-2018, 05:53 AM
Batman, all the way! :)

wesleycorgi
09-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Marvel and DC Frank MIller: Daredevil, Wolverine, and Dark Night Batman. Claremont/Byrne X-Men. Neal Adams Green Lantern and Green Arrow. Sienkewicz New Mutants. Paul Smith X-Men and Doctor Strange. Simonson Thor.

Qexit
09-29-2018, 04:17 AM
I have always preferred the true classics :D

Kryslin
09-29-2018, 09:13 AM
I've got a fair amount of Manga sitting around. Currently, Arppegio of Blue Steel (The CGI ships in the anime are awesome), and Mobile Suit Gundam : Thunderbolt are what I'm reading.

Used to be a Marvel reader, until I got tired of the Summer marketing push in the 90's. Still not a terribly huge fan of Marvel. Prefer DC's animated universe to the cinematic one. Always been a fan of Anime, Manga, and video games.

Qexit
09-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Just for the record, I have nine other issues of 'Boy's Own Paper' in my collection. They are great examples of late Victorian boy's comics and are in pretty good condition considering that were printed in 1896 :)

While I know this thread is going to focus on mainly Marvel and DC comics, my own interest lies in the comics I read when I was growing up back in the 1960s. Sadly, I only have one issue of one of the best comics around during that period: TV21. It featured comic strips based on the Gerry Anderson puppet series along with a back page strip of the Daleks from Doctor Who. The stories and artwork for the Thunderbirds, Stingray, Fireball XL5 and later on Captain Scarlet were quite amazing. Much better than the original TV series. I really wish I could have held on to some of those issues. The best I can manage is to track down some of the hardback annual that were released, to add to the couple of orignals I still have.

Don't get me wrong, I did read and collect Marvel and DC later in life and still have around 1400 comics from those stored away safely too but the UK titles I read when I was very young will always hold the strongest memories for me :)

rednova
12-27-2018, 06:39 PM
I just finished reading the 'files of the shadow'. It was originally printed many years ago (15 or much, much more, I cannot remember)
and this was a reprinted edition with 5 stories. I enjoyed reading it immensely. I love the shadow !!!

Dexter2999
12-29-2018, 03:28 PM
Started with Harvey Comics when I was bout five, Richie Rich, Casper the Ghost, Hot Stuff, Lotta...
Couple of years later moved to DC for Superman and Batman.
Around 13 moved into Marvel, for the more complex/flawed heroes.
At 20 pretty much stopped the regular prints and switched to graphic novels. The DC graphic novels in particular were nice in that they brought a more fleshed out character aspect. The writing and art work tend to be on another level as well.

Shabazzy
02-18-2019, 08:15 AM
I used to be a Marvel fan through and through (no D.C. for me!). I cut my teeth on Spider-man back in the 70s and was an instant uber fan, then I got introduced to the X-Men in the late 80s and wondered where "Where have you been all my life?".

Then Marvel's 90s "exploit the readers and milk them for all their worth" campaign kicked in and I said enough of this. It's not worth the money and logged off from comics for about twenty years.

In the 2010s I decided to revisit the world of comics to see what the market was like and discovered the whole universe had gone full on SJW and I thought to myself, there is not a hope in hell that I would give Marvel, DC or any publisher who promotes that "Emperor's New Clothes" mentality any of my money. So now, I have more of an interest in the indies and webcomics that now seem to be on the rise and find that some of them are very, very good.

Personal fav: Girls by The Luna Brothers - published by Image Comics.