PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2018 openVDBnode extent to extent Crazy crashing.

prometheus
09-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Sigh...I do not know why the openVDB node extent sometimes craches lightwave 2018 ..without even bringing up a crash reporter, it just shuts lightwave instantly.

trying out blender sims.

dlvphoto
09-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Sigh...I do not know why the openVDB node extent sometimes craches lightwave 2018 ..without even bringing up a crash reporter, it just shuts lightwave instantly.

trying out blender sims.

What does your memory usage look like before and then during use of the node? I've had the OS kill Layout for memory over-utilization on my laptop (12GB ram, limited swap space) when it tried to allocate more than was physically available.

prometheus
09-06-2018, 01:25 PM
What does your memory usage look like before and then during use of the node? I've had the OS kill Layout for memory over-utilization on my laptop (12GB ram, limited swap space) when it tried to allocate more than was physically available.

Have to take note and check later, itīs not only VDB crashing either, it can happen tweaking just standard gradients in the openvd main panel as well..I am a bit tired of it now, and I am still trying the discovery version..which means every crash means creating it all from scratch again, not sure it is worth it and I may just as well keep it in blender..which almost never crashes, and it also gives better shading control directly with the principled volume shading.

I do use the vpr, and that has often been crashing with other stuff as well, cycles in blender..not so much...so it leans over that I do not find it worth wrestling with these crashing issues I have had with 2015, and now with 2018.

dlvphoto
09-06-2018, 04:28 PM
I'd love to take a look at one of your VDB files that are causing the crash. I have so far found 2018 to be as stable or with the most recent 2018.0.6 patch more stable than I found 2015.3 to be. Both have been very stable with the exception of the memory issue I listed above which is something every OS will do to any misbehaving application.

Scott