PDA

View Full Version : Planning my new PC build 2018

Bernie2Strokes
09-06-2018, 02:41 AM
I'm finally going to build a new PC for my digital media work. My biggest concern is making sure it can handle dual monitors so I can open Modeler and Layout at the same time. Or have one open while I check online tutorials on another. I was more surprised to learn Blackmagic Fusion 9 requires at least 32gb of RAM.

So this is what I've got planned:

1. Motherboard - MSI Z370 SLI Plus
2. CPU - Intel i7-8700K
3. GPU - GTX 1080 (future option to bridge it is open)
4. 32GB of RAM
5. Case - Corsair Panzer Max
6. 1TB Samsung Evo SSD for primary drive
7. 4TB HDD for secondary drive *
8. Corsair Cooling Hydro H110i
9. TP-Link 1300mbps WiFi card

I read the Intel Optane can now support secondary drives that are HDD. So I'm considering that instead of buying a LaCie 4TB D2 external drive

JohnMarchant
09-06-2018, 03:58 AM
I think 32 Gb is the minimum now really. Does this MB support more than one GPU and more than 32Gb memory.

FredyN
09-06-2018, 05:04 AM
I would prefer 2066 socket MB and M.2 disk. 64 GB RAM would be the next step :)

2create
09-06-2018, 05:07 AM
Looks like a nice setup. Motherboard can take 3x GPU's too. Have you chosen a Power Supply? Might be worth checking out: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ if you plan on having multiple GPU's in the future.

Also, maybe get 2x 16GB sticks of ram so you can easily go up to 64GB later.

Bernie2Strokes
09-06-2018, 05:50 AM
The motherboard can go up to 64 gb and I hoping I could keep it to a minimum. But recently I read an editing software (Black Magic Fusion 9) needs at least 32GB to run. Maybe I'll add another 16GB and wait to buy more around December. At the moment I'm keeping the choice of multiple GPUs open because I don't really know how slow the rendering performance will be. I might turn to online rendering farms for large projects first.

Qexit
09-06-2018, 06:30 AM
The motherboard can go up to 64 gb and I hoping I could keep it to a minimum. But recently I read an editing software (Black Magic Fusion 9) needs at least 32GB to run. Maybe I'll add another 16GB and wait to buy more around December. At the moment I'm keeping the choice of multiple GPUs open because I don't really know how slow the rendering performance will be. I might turn to online rendering farms for large projects first.Well, as it happens I downloaded and installed the free version of Fusion 9 yesterday and while I have not tested everything out, it loaded and ran quite happily on my 24GB PC. 32GB may be the recommended minimum but it can definitely run in less. Can anyone post a link to the official system requirements for Fusion 9 as I can't find them on the Black Magic site ?

3D Kiwi
09-06-2018, 07:05 AM
I have used Fusion on my old laptop with only 4 gig of ram. Most apps will run on 4 or 8 gigs of ram but you are limited to what you can do with them. Fusion and after effects can preview longer with more ram.
3D apps can handle bigger scenes.

Had to go overseas a while ago and had to take my 4 gig lappy with me. I was able to edit, comp and do 3d with it, but it was a pain in the backside.

System requirements are on page 6 of the user manual. Just open fusion and click on help, the Manuel should install along with the software.

rustythe1
09-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Looks like a nice setup. Motherboard can take 3x GPU's too. Have you chosen a Power Supply? Might be worth checking out: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ if you plan on having multiple GPU's in the future.

Also, maybe get 2x 16GB sticks of ram so you can easily go up to 64GB later.

its not advisable and not usually possible to then add another 32gb kit, you should always buy the size of kit you want (sell or ditch what is already installed if you want to upgrade) as they should always be from the same batch, otherwise they can be very unstable and for the most probably not run at all.

Qexit
09-06-2018, 10:05 AM
System requirements are on page 6 of the user manual. Just open fusion and click on help, the Manuel should install along with the software.Thanks for the pointer. To set the OPs mind at rest, the Fusion 9 User Manual states the RAM requirements for Windows as:

8GB of memory minimum; 16GB or greater is strongly recommended

Still find it a little odd that these aren't anywhere to be found on the Black Magic Site.

inkpen3d
09-07-2018, 09:18 AM
It's worth have a look at this video: http://www.entagma.com/building-your-own-houdini-workstation/

Despite the title it's equally applicable to LW users.

Bernie2Strokes
09-09-2018, 09:45 PM
I've already bought the Z370 motherboard and GTX 1080. Choosing Intel over Ryzen was more an economic choice because Threadrippers are so expensive here. I know it won't give me the rendering power I want but at least it can handle the activity I do.

Bernie2Strokes
10-06-2018, 02:09 AM
I finally have my new PC operational. I'll still need to download some plugins and other stuff but the speed is a relief after so many years!

Moving on now - can anybody recommend a method for creating snow piles? I was inspired by a recent Unreal Engine simulation of winter. With the holiday coming up I wonder what was the best way to generate snow drifts and even have clumps fall off a roof.

pixym
10-07-2018, 11:21 PM
My previous Work station had "only" 24 GB for Ram. I had never need more and I do Archiviz…