PDA

View Full Version : LWO2 export with surfaces

Philbert
09-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Is there a way to export from LW 2018 to 2015 and keep the textures? I've tried setting them all to Standard and exporting, but then when loading into 2015 there's an error about Principled BSDF being missing and then all the surface info is gone.

Tim Parsons
09-05-2018, 07:18 PM
It's a loss. Won't work.

Philbert
09-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks. What a shame. You'd think Standard is the same as the old style so it should transfer over.

gar26lw
09-05-2018, 09:46 PM
i was kinda hoping that od tools would do this. maybe there is a way with that? wanted to do this myself too. SO i can edit in 2015 modeller and bring back into 2018

Ma3rk
09-05-2018, 11:06 PM
Actually, one (or a couple maybe) of the tools in OD Tools does exactly that.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the specific one to direct you to a video. You could do a bit of searching on Olivers vimeo page https://vimeo.com/oliverhotz or perhaps someone who's used it can chime in. One of the vids shows taking an object back & forth & retaining the texture info for both with minimal increase to the object size.

gar26lw
09-06-2018, 01:44 AM

Unfortunately, I can't recall the specific one to direct you to a video. You could do a bit of searching on Olivers vimeo page https://vimeo.com/oliverhotz or perhaps someone who's used it can chime in. One of the vids shows taking an object back & forth & retaining the texture info for both with minimal increase to the object size.

yeah i could swear there was but I find it hard to find stuff on Vimeo. Especially with loads of vids in one section

JohnMarchant
09-06-2018, 03:57 AM
What about Olivers save to clipboard or copy and paste between software which is not part of OD Tools i think.

https://heimlich1024.github.io/OD_CopyPasteExternal/

Yes Vimeo is a PITA when you have allot of videos.

omichon
09-06-2018, 05:06 AM

Despite it doesn't convert surfaces between 2018 and 2015, it might be these ones (OD_LoadSave and OD_MaterialSlots):
https://vimeo.com/251319328
https://vimeo.com/251552518

Tim Parsons
09-06-2018, 06:37 AM
SO i can edit in 2015 modeller and bring back into 2018

That makes zero sense unless for some reason you feel the need to run Modeler in 32bit. I can't think of any 32bit plugins that can't be lived without.

Ma3rk
09-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Here's the vid I was thinking of, & no wonder I couldn't find it:

Philbert
09-06-2018, 05:56 PM
So the reason I asked this was that I'm working on a job for a client I asked him if he's upgraded to 2018 yet so that I knew which I should work in. He said he had so I did all the models in 2018. Then he tells me using actually working in 2015 so I would have to convert all the models. Luckily he was going to actually create the surfaces, he just asks me to name them. I figured I would give them each a little color or something just so he could tell them apart. So it's not a big deal that they got lost, as long as the names were still there.

Tim Parsons
09-06-2018, 06:11 PM
Here's the vid I was thinking of, & no wonder I couldn't find it:

Hey that is kinda cool. Stores both file types (LWO2 and LWO3) within the same file or some sort. I'd be curious if image maps went back and forth.

gar26lw
09-06-2018, 07:08 PM
That makes zero sense unless for some reason you feel the need to run Modeler in 32bit. I can't think of any 32bit plugins that can't be lived without.

yep, 32bit for plugins that only work there.

gar26lw
09-06-2018, 07:11 PM
So the reason I asked this was that I'm working on a job for a client I asked him if he's upgraded to 2018 yet so that I knew which I should work in. He said he had so I did all the models in 2018. Then he tells me using actually working in 2015 so I would have to convert all the models. Luckily he was going to actually create the surfaces, he just asks me to name them. I figured I would give them each a little color or something just so he could tell them apart. So it's not a big deal that they got lost, as long as the names were still there.

you could load the lot into one 2018 scene and then use olivers tool to export them all as one object, then export that to 2015 lwo. might save some time if a lot of files.

think thats one for OD tools req; batch conversion of 2015 <-> 2018

oliverhotz
09-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Hey that is kinda cool. Stores both file types (LWO2 and LWO3) within the same file or some sort. I'd be curious if image maps went back and forth.

the entire surface goes in.. image maps, etc makes no difference.

Tim Parsons
09-07-2018, 06:16 PM
yep, 32bit for plugins that only work there.

Which plugs can't you live without. I'm curious.

- - - Updated - - -

the entire surface goes in.. image maps, etc makes no difference.

Cool - you're a magician. :)

gar26lw
09-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Which plugs can't you live without. I'm curious.

- - - Updated - - -

pictrix resize, truweld, kw spread and a few others. with lw 2015.3, i run x32 modeller with hub to x64 layout

there are more but cant live without the pictrix stuff.
i also find 2018 modeller slower; bandglue for example, is awful.
someone messed with it and it’s garbage now.
i find surface picker faster in 2015 too and the surface editor way better.
on a slight tangent, i don’t like the new ui changes to surface editor, removal of edit by scene and missing t butttons in 2018. it’s slower to use.

i wish things would be fixed that are broken and not messed with.

examples - edge rounding, uv editing with discontinuous uvs, multiple bevel tools, things like that. don’t fix wot ain’t broken!

JohnMarchant
09-08-2018, 06:38 AM
I still model in 2015 as there are many plugins that dont seem to work or have been optimised to work in 2018 Modeler. I would love to use only 2018 but i dont see that happening anytime soon.

Tim Parsons
09-08-2018, 05:48 PM
pictrix resize, truweld, kw spread and a few others. with lw 2015.3, i run x32 modeller with hub to x64 layout

there are more but cant live without the pictrix stuff.
i also find 2018 modeller slower; bandglue for example, is awful.
someone messed with it and itís garbage now.
i find surface picker faster in 2015 too and the surface editor way better.
on a slight tangent, i donít like the new ui changes to surface editor, removal of edit by scene and missing t butttons in 2018. itís slower to use.

i wish things would be fixed that are broken and not messed with.

examples - edge rounding, uv editing with discontinuous uvs, multiple bevel tools, things like that. donít fix wot ainít broken!

Interesting list. Yes I suppose pictrix plugs would be invaluable if you don't have LWCad. Yes - a change was made to bandglue for some reason, it now goes into edge mode and then does it's thing. I got out of the habit of using bandglue years ago as I just select my loops and hit delete.

As far as surfacing goes, and this is essentially what the thread is about, 2018 is years ahead of earlier versions of LW. You can still use the "T" buttons if you want, they are there and work like they always have. Going back and forth between 2015 and 2018 seems like a real hassle if you don't have OD Tools and even then I wonder. :)

My renderings have improved 200% with 2018 and I wouldn't dream of going back.

gar26lw
09-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Interesting list. Yes I suppose pictrix plugs would be invaluable if you don't have LWCad. Yes - a change was made to bandglue for some reason, it now goes into edge mode and then does it's thing. I got out of the habit of using bandglue years ago as I just select my loops and hit delete.

As far as surfacing goes, and this is essentially what the thread is about, 2018 is years ahead of earlier versions of LW. You can still use the "T" buttons if you want, they are there and work like they always have. Going back and forth between 2015 and 2018 seems like a real hassle if you don't have OD Tools and even then I wonder. :)

My renderings have improved 200% with 2018 and I wouldn't dream of going back.

it just depends on what you use lw for and how much time is spent in one area.

i think i have just about every plugin for lw now, including lwcad.
looked to get some of the pictrix functionality in lw cad but no luck atm.
t buttons donít exist in principal shader and other places.
i really think the surfacing ux has taken a step back