PDA

View Full Version : Clean Program output

bbailey
09-05-2018, 04:14 PM
It was my understanding that output #2 on my 855/860 could be set to "clean" allowing me to send program video to the press box at the stadium for use on the stadium's video screen for the fans without showing my sponsor's logo and the score bugs and banners.

This worked in the past when using the program bus and the DSK1 and DSK2. But, I wanted to use the ME to carry my NewBlueFX score graphics with NDI on NET2 while punching cameras on the A bus and setting the transition wipe to go to my preview bus for slow-mo replay. I wanted this so I could leave the score graphics on the ME without having to transition them off before going to a crowd shot or Slo-Mo replay. The PGM transition would wipe over the score graphic perfectly when using that method.

We ran all the tests at the stadium prior to last week's game and everything seemed fine. However, using an ME punched up on the PGM bus with the ME "seeing" the graphic on Net1 or Net2 was showing the graphic on the Output #2 even though I had it set as "Clean".

I had to switch the Net2 graphic to my DSK1. Without changing anything else on the switcher, the graphic was no longer visible to the stadium feed.

So why didn't using the Net2 graphic on the ME work for the "clean" feed on Output2?

SBowie
09-06-2018, 08:17 AM
It's a tiny bit difficult to be certain I am following your workflow, but I have a 32bit source applied in a KEY layer of M/E 1, and if I set an output to M/E 1 with Clean enabled, I get only the background image, not the KEY layer. This is what I expect.

I think, however, you may be expecting Program output with Clean enabled to strip out the KEY layers from an M/E upstream of the main Switcher. This would not work.

bbailey
09-06-2018, 11:53 AM
Let me see if I can show you my set up.

bbailey
09-06-2018, 11:57 AM
When I'm punched up to ME1 on the PGM bus with the Key overlay active to the Net2 showing my MacBook Air running the NewBlueFX Titler Sport Score bug or banner over NDI, I see the output on PGM "Clean" with the graphic.

Lee-AVP
09-06-2018, 11:59 AM
The program output isn't going to strip the graphics out of the ME bus in order to output clean.

When an ME lands on program bus, it's all composed and done.

JPulera
09-06-2018, 12:24 PM
To clarify perhaps, CLEAN only means that the DOWNSTREAM keys (DSKs) are removed from PROGRAM output. Any of the key layers inside an ME are just keyers, not DSKs, big difference as Lee mentioned since those are already baked into the pie earlier in the pipeline.

Thanks

Jeff

SBowie
09-06-2018, 12:36 PM
When I'm punched up to ME1 on the PGM bus with the Key overlay active to the Net2 showing my MacBook Air running the NewBlueFX Titler Sport Score bug or banner over NDI, I see the output on PGM "Clean" with the graphic.Yes, that's as I described (and others have mentioned).

If you want to see clean output from the M/E, you need to assign an output to M/E (Clean), not Program (Clean).

bbailey
09-06-2018, 12:41 PM
So, if I read this correctly, it's as I already determined...anything appearing in the "overlay" bus, which on my Tricaster is Key 1, will go out of PGM even when Program (Clean) is selected for my output #2. This just means that I can't be as "slick" as I'd hoped to be when using my new graphics program with my Scorebot to have dynamic clocks and scores during my "live" games. This would have worked perfectly for me if I weren't handing my PGM output to the stadium's Tricaster for their giant video board. They can't afford to see my game sponsor listed by logo within my scoring graphics.

By moving my NDI feed on Net2 down to my DSK1, I can accomplish the same transition-to-slo-mo replay by punching cameras on the PGM bus and selecting the 3-play on the preview bus. I just have to remember to take the score bug off before I do the transition. Same if I'm going to a shot that's not on the field such as cheerleaders or crowd shots.

Punching cameras on the ME1's A bus and transitioning to my PVW bus for slo-mo or even punching a crowd or cheerleader shot on my PGM bus would have automatically removed the score graphic without my needing to clear it with either my Key1 transition or clearing it from my MacBook's output...much simpler had the overlay been "clean" on PGM 2 output.

bbailey
09-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Yes, that's as I described (and others have mentioned).

If you want to see clean output from the M/E, you need to assign an output to M/E (Clean), not Program (Clean).

I think that would only give the stadium my ME1, correct? They need the PGM feed without graphics. You sent this reply before I finished my response about reading the rest of the thread.

SBowie
09-06-2018, 01:04 PM
I think that would only give the stadium my ME1, correct? They need the PGM feed without graphics.Correct. You would need to remove the key(s) from the M/E upstream of the Program bus for this to work. You can probably handle this a number of different ways, though. You could use Comps to control the visibility of your overlays, and tie it all together with a couple of macros to toggle overlays in the M/E and Switcher together.

bbailey
09-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Correct. You would need to remove the key(s) from the M/E upstream of the Program bus for this to work. You can probably handle this a number of different ways, though. You could use Comps to control the visibility of your overlays, and tie it all together with a couple of macros to toggle overlays in the M/E and Switcher together.

Thanks Steve,

I'll play around with this. Thanks to everyone else too.

Lee-AVP
09-06-2018, 02:25 PM
Build yourself a "Replay" macro to clear the overlays, select the transition you like, select your replay source, and run the transition. Save yourself clicks!

bbailey
09-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Build yourself a "Replay" macro to clear the overlays, select the transition you like, select your replay source, and run the transition. Save yourself clicks!

Thanks Lee.