PDA

View Full Version : New Gerry Anderson pilot reverting back to physical puppets

TheLexx
09-02-2018, 09:34 AM
I saw this clip for a proposed new Gerry Anderson series reverting back to physical puppets, and I thought the rigs looked pretty interesting. I was wondering if anyone felt there were any lessons here for character animation in 3D, not necessarily for realistic animation but for a particular aesthetic....like a turbocharged string puppet style animation in 3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DO-L9syp4

Either way, the kid in me is very glad to see this.

:)

scallahan1
09-02-2018, 11:37 AM
This is so AWESOME! I actually rented the whole Thunderbirds series (DVD) off of Netflix a year or two ago. "Must stay awake...for grandma". Sooo looking forward to this!

Steve

Oldcode
09-02-2018, 01:18 PM
Very cool! :D

shrox
09-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Is it ok that I really don't like the puppets? That's been a point of contention in the past...

paulk
09-03-2018, 07:36 AM
I remember in Thunderbirds the puppets' lower lip would move when they "spoke". That wasn't shown in the above video. How would that happen with rod-activated puppets, or are they going to "Clutch Cargo" dialogue?

Sensei
09-03-2018, 03:34 PM
On the science forum we have a lot of sock puppets. They're detected and banned... ;)

djwaterman
09-04-2018, 04:23 AM
I came across this little documentary recently, where they crowd funded a couple of new episodes of the 60's puppet version, very meticulous recreations based on some audio only episodes that were released on vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eAR-LGk30I

safetyman
09-05-2018, 05:26 AM
I can't get Team America out of my head when I watch old Thunderbirds stuff.

Gungho3D
09-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Is it ok that I really don't like the puppets? That's been a point of contention in the past...
Definitely ok.

Between driving a good story line and the end viewer, when I watched GA's stuff as a kid the puppets and insanely dragged out dramas never got in the way of the sheer enjoyment ...

... nowadays I can't handle re-watching the old TBs series, both the puppets and the story killing off any enjoyment for me (maybe not for others) ... although I did watch through all of the old "Joe 90" series last year, laughed through all the not politically correct stuff. Joe 90 was probably about as high as the quality of puppetry and props and effort ever rose to, I believe it was GA's last such production (i.e. using puppets and props etc)

Edit ------

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I could be completely wrong, but ... I'm wondering who the heck the intended target audience is that this new incarnation of puppetry has in mind. Apart from the novelty factor and potential 5 minute longevity of hype based on that, I can't envisage something creative happening via this medium which is going to kickstart (no pun intended) a successful franchise.

But I would be happy to be proven completely wrong and down the track see something which has worked really well ...

djwaterman
09-07-2018, 03:10 AM
I can't get Team America out of my head when I watch old Thunderbirds stuff.

I think Thunder Birds highest achievement was inspiring the creation of Team America.

The other is inspiring that joke,

Parker, take off my dress.

Yes M'lady.

Take off my bra.

Yes M'lady.

Now take off my panties.

Yes M'lady.

Parker, I never want catch you wearing my clothes again.

Qexit
09-07-2018, 03:16 AM
Definitely ok.

Between driving a good story line and the end viewer, when I watched GA's stuff as a kid the puppets and insanely dragged out dramas never got in the way of the sheer enjoyment ...

... nowadays I can't handle re-watching the old TBs series, both the puppets and the story killing off any enjoyment for me (maybe not for others) ... although I did watch through all of the old "Joe 90" series last year, laughed through all the not politically correct stuff. Joe 90 was probably about as high as the quality of puppetry and props and effort ever rose to, I believe it was GA's last such production (i.e. using puppets and props etc)

Not quite the last original puppet production. That was 'The Secret Service' which featured the voice of Stanley Unwin. It got cancelled very quickly as, I believe, Lew Grade didn't think anyone outside the UK would understand a word of what Stanley Unwin's character was saying especially the USA, which was the main moneyspinner. Also, they did go back to puppets with Terrahawks, though I have been trying to forget that series ever since I first watched it :-)

Gungho3D
09-07-2018, 06:01 AM
Not quite the last original puppet production. That was 'The Secret Service' which featured the voice of Stanley Unwin. It got cancelled very quickly as, I believe, Lew Grade didn't think anyone outside the UK would understand a word of what Stanley Unwin's character was saying especially the USA, which was the main moneyspinner. Also, they did go back to puppets with Terrahawks, though I have been trying to forget that series ever since I first watched it :-)
:) indeed I stand corrected ...