PDA

View Full Version : The Crew 2 (Videogame), LightWave 2015 and 2018 in use...

Cageman
09-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Hello!

LightWave 2018 (during beta) was used for some of the Narrative Cutscenes in The Crew 2.

https://youtu.be/gPZkjkjXDXQ?t=3m29s

Between 3:27 and 6:42 LW2018 was used for Animatics as well as some final rendering (set extensions etc)
Between 6:42 and 9:56 LW2018 was used for animatics as well as final rendering, except the smoke/water effects. We had to use Redshift with Houdini to render those because of time constraints. That said, LW3DG implemented a feature that we asked for; allow for Volumetrics to cast shadows without being seen by camera. This way we could render the FX with Redshift and render a beauty from LW for compositing.
Between 9:56 and 13:27, the artist used a mix of LW2015 and After Effects to create the look.

Cheers! :)

gar26lw
09-01-2018, 08:27 PM
the 9:56-13:27 LW 2015/after fx combo is awesome. congrats.

rednova
09-03-2018, 06:31 PM
I enjoyed watching the video. Thanks for linking.

Lewis
09-04-2018, 02:57 AM
Good to see this live, great work Cageman, congrats to whole team.

I see some familiar cars, boats, planes in that video ;) ;).

ianr
09-04-2018, 07:21 AM
Hello!

LightWave 2018 (during beta) was used for some of the Narrative Cutscenes in The Crew 2.

https://youtu.be/gPZkjkjXDXQ?t=3m29s

Between 3:27 and 6:42 LW2018 was used for Animatics as well as some final rendering (set extensions etc)
Between 6:42 and 9:56 LW2018 was used for animatics as well as final rendering, except the smoke/water effects. We had to use Redshift with Houdini to render those because of time constraints. That said, LW3DG implemented a feature that we asked for; allow for Volumetrics to cast shadows without being seen by camera. This way we could render the FX with Redshift and render a beauty from LW for compositing.
Between 9:56 and 13:27, the artist used a mix of LW2015 and After Effects to create the look.

Cheers! :)

Lovely Work>>>> spellbinding moves!

For God's Sake>>> CHUCK PUT THIS IN LW NEWLETTER

lardbros
09-04-2018, 09:22 AM
Stunning work (as always!!!). Thanks for sharing the LightWave love, it's great to see so much amazing LightWave work, and clearly so many very talented artists!

Yay!

mummyman
09-04-2018, 09:37 AM
Excellent work, Cageman! Very nice.

Cageman
09-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Good to see this live, great work Cageman, congrats to whole team.

I see some familiar cars, boats, planes in that video ;) ;).

Lewis, it was GREAT to have you as a modeling artist on this job. Sadly, timeconstraints didn't allow for me, or the team to do their best; **** hit the fan and I am not super-happy about the results, to be honest. It turned out OK, but the models you delivered were worth a LOT MORE than what happened. :/

To everyone who needs a freelance Modeling artist regarding Hard Surface Modeling; Lewis IS the thing; very professional, allways on time, and somtimes even ahead of time. I'm very greatfull for your work on this, Lewis, and I would love to involve you again!

All Freestyle shots (where LW 2018 BETA was used for final rendering) were made in about 1 month by myself, Gareth Jensen and Magnus Hagerman using LW + Jonas Borgman (regarding the FX that we couldn't render in LW because of timeconstraints) using Houdini. And, of course a big shout out to Axel Landén (animator) using Motionbuilder (moslty cleaning up my ****** animatic camera-moves :D), and, of course Lewis, who worked with us as a freelance Modeling artist. Last in line were Roberto Mensa who did the compositing and made things look cool, despite the fact t hat nothing did look cool. :D

Cageman
09-04-2018, 07:21 PM
Thank you all for the positive comments! It isn't the greatest work in LW land, but LW allowed us to deliver something that looks OK, with the timeconstraints that did happen.

I just wonder... where could we have moved this, if we actually had the time for proper polish? LOL :D

Lewis
09-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Thanks for nice words Cageman, yes working on this project was very "easy" and professional 'coz you guys knew what you want and explained it well so it was no problems with execution that form my side. I like when i get proper instructions what needs to be modeled so then i can go faster than Deadline without too much questions and chance to misinterpret anything.
I was honored to work on that project, give my best to Patrick, Stefan and Roberto, it was smooth sailing :).

It's already super cool so yeah if you had more time it certainly would be even cooler.

Congrats

Nicolas Jordan
09-05-2018, 10:41 AM
It's nice to see good quality production work being done with LW 2018. It gives me confidence to begin moving my Arch Viz production into 2018 soon!

prometheus
09-05-2018, 11:37 AM
The luminous line art in the end is something I really like, great.
wonder if Lightwave was part of the animation there?

Cageman
09-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Jeees... I must have been tired when posting the initial post... :D I posted it with timestamp in the youtube link. :D... LOL...

If you watch the video from the beginning, there is a series of movies called Freestyle. Those were primarily done in 2D with lots of compositing in Nuke, with some 3D-effects done in Houdini. There is one shot at 2:09 where LW+ZBrush were used by one of the artists to model/rig and animate the arms. The animation was then transfered to Nuke via Alembic, and all the shading happened in Nuke, as far as I can remember.

- - - Updated - - -

The luminous line art in the end is something I really like, great.
wonder if Lightwave was part of the animation there?

Most of the animation was made in Maya and some were simulated in Houdini. I do not know how that specific shot was done, except that it was rendered with LW 2015.3.

Ztreem
09-05-2018, 02:09 PM
Great work! Looks really good.

gar26lw
09-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Most of the animation was made in Maya and some were simulated in Houdini. I do not know how that specific shot was done, except that it was rendered with LW 2015.3.

what was the IO path for the anim from maya to LW?

Cageman
09-06-2018, 08:37 AM
what was the IO path for the anim from maya to LW?

Alembic.

Greenlaw
09-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Hey Cageman,

Long time no see! :D

The reel is fantastic! Congratulations to you and the entire Crew 2 cutscenes team.

gar26lw
09-08-2018, 03:52 AM
Alembic.

any issues with surfacing?

Cageman
09-09-2018, 09:39 AM
any issues with surfacing?

What do you mean?

gar26lw
09-10-2018, 07:48 PM
What do you mean?

ability to surface in Lightwave and have the alembic files updated without trashing the surfaces or not retaining the surfacing info. Last time I tried it I had this problem.

I had one other question (and this is a legitimate one not looking to troll); if all the anim is in maya and you are using Redshift, what was the reason to use alembic & lightwave renderer ? I can see the reason for the 2015 stuff but whats the reason for the 2018 stuff ? Would you not get some resistance for using that pipeline? Is it render nodes? As I say, genuinely interested here.

Cageman
09-11-2018, 10:05 AM
ability to surface in Lightwave and have the alembic files updated without trashing the surfaces or not retaining the surfacing info. Last time I tried it I had this problem.

I had one other question (and this is a legitimate one not looking to troll); if all the anim is in maya and you are using Redshift, what was the reason to use alembic & lightwave renderer ? I can see the reason for the 2015 stuff but whats the reason for the 2018 stuff ? Would you not get some resistance for using that pipeline? Is it render nodes? As I say, genuinely interested here.

We do not use Maya for rendering at all.... it is just for Animation. The Offroad section of movies were rendered with Houdini Mantra, where some FX were rendered with Redshift because of timeconstraints and we only had one lic of Redshift back then. With both Houdini Mantra and LW2018, we have potentially over 300 rendernodes overnight and during weekends. It also boils down to proficiency and what software people can use, be fast with and get the job done as quickly as possible. Since both Houdini and LW supports Principled BSDF there were very similar looks between both LW2018 and Houdini Mantra.

On the question of the Alembic pipe between Maya and LW2015.x, yes... if things were added (objects) it would screw things up, correct. But if only animations were updated, it was not a problem.

gar26lw
09-11-2018, 06:02 PM
On the question of the Alembic pipe between Maya and LW2015.x, yes... if things were added (objects) it would screw things up, correct. But if only animations were updated, it was not a problem.

did you have any workaround to this issue ? Just being that there is a very high probability of changed objects and new items being added. For me, when I used it, that threw a spanner in the works.

Greenlaw
09-11-2018, 06:26 PM
If you're rendering in LightWave, you only need to surface the mesh there; if you're rendering in another 3D program, surface the mesh there.

For animation data coming from other applications, import .mdd or another compatible point cache for animations, or if it's keyframed data data, like mocap, you only need import the animation data via FBX to your rig in LightWave, not the mesh. This affects only the displacement or animation of your meshes, and shouldn't affect the surfaces. For camera data, use FBX.

I move animation and camera data from Maya, Motion Builder, and other 3D apps to LightWave all the time, and only need to setup the LightWave assets once.

Cageman
09-12-2018, 01:32 AM
did you have any workaround to this issue ? Just being that there is a very high probability of changed objects and new items being added. For me, when I used it, that threw a spanner in the works.

Well... in most cases, this didn't happen. Reason? Review-processes. So, before the animator sends the Alembic to the LW artist, there is a director review looking at a playblast from Maya. This minimized the back and forth between packages.

In LW2018, you can save out Surface libraries. So when an Alembic gets updated with new mesh, you re-import it, select all surfaces, load library. This will re-apply all shading on surfaces in the library, and you only have to shade the new objects.

Cageman
09-12-2018, 01:35 AM
Hey Cageman,

Long time no see! :D

The reel is fantastic! Congratulations to you and the entire Crew 2 cutscenes team.

Hello Greenlaw! How are things? Thanks for the kind words! :)

gar26lw
09-12-2018, 01:57 AM
In LW2018, you can save out Surface libraries. So when an Alembic gets updated with new mesh, you re-import it, select all surfaces, load library. This will re-apply all shading on surfaces in the library, and you only have to shade the new objects.

ah sweet, I did not know that. Is that one of your requests?

- - - Updated - - -

If you're rendering in LightWave, you only need to surface the mesh there; if you're rendering in another 3D program, surface the mesh there.

For animation data coming from other applications, import .mdd or another compatible point cache for animations, or if it's keyframed data data, like mocap, you only need import the animation data via FBX to your rig in LightWave, not the mesh. This affects only the displacement or animation of your meshes, and shouldn't affect the surfaces. For camera data, use FBX.

I move animation and camera data from Maya, Motion Builder, and other 3D apps to LightWave all the time, and only need to setup the LightWave assets once.

thanks for that info, good to know :)

Cageman
09-12-2018, 02:10 AM
ah sweet, I did not know that. Is that one of your requests?

Nopes. Appart from lots of bugreports, the only "big" request we asked for was the ability to render Volumetrics (the new type) as Unseen by Camera.