PDA

View Full Version : UV map tutorial?

Commander_Chaos
08-31-2018, 08:30 AM
I'm trying to make a bump map for this shape and I'm guessing the proper way to do it is with a UV map. I've never done one successfully and the tutorials I've found are confusing. Anyone know of a video that will help?

Commander_Chaos
09-01-2018, 07:58 AM
No replies? Sad trombone for me. No matter, unlike most other problems I figured this one out on my own. :)

Oldcode
09-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Try this...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lightwave+uv+mapping+tutorial

MonroePoteet
09-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Well, I'm certainly no UV expert, but for this type of convoluted geometry I would try to UV map the geometry BEFORE doing the bends, folds, twists, etc.

It really depends on what type of Bump map you're trying to create. If the physical object is (for example) a piece of cloth / plastic with a well-defined pattern on it and this real-world object is then folded / bent / distorted into the shape you showed, I would expect trying to get the un-distorted image / bump to conform to the convolutions to be very difficult.

On the other hand, if you just want a fairly homogeneous texture like weave for the Bump, you *may* be able to get away with one or more of the 3D textures. Again, on the sharp folds / bends, a procedural texture may show some ugly seams.

If you found a solution, you might consider posting what you discovered to help others in the forum.

mTp

jeric_synergy
09-01-2018, 11:41 AM
You figured it out on your own?? HOW DID YOU DO IT???

+++++++++++++
(I had typed a bunch of gibberish before I saw you figured it out, it went like this....)

It would certainly be easier to start when it is flat, if it were ever flat (it might be a parametric surface).

In another UV thread we mention Ken Nign's weight mapping Lscripts (free). Download them all.

(EDIT: take this next bit w/a grain of salt: I may have it backwards): #aflw If you are new to UV'ing, one piece of the puzzle you might be missing is the existence of "WEIGHT TO UV", which places a vertex in UV space according to..... wait, that can't be right: I was going to say "according to its weight", but weight is a singular value, and UV mapping is, as suggested by "UV", two values. --Yeah, I got it wrong: there IS a "UV to Weight", which assigns weights according to U or V location.

It might be possible, by clever use of two different weight maps, to easily map such a convoluted surface, especially if WEIGHTOUTWARD.LSC respects existing selections: you could select one edge, apply WEIGHTOUTWARD (?), select another edge, apply WEIGHTOUTWARD for a 2nd map, and use them as U and V (or V and U) as appropriate -- and ? then? merge? the UV maps???

Tim Parsons
09-01-2018, 11:43 AM
ABF Unwrap might do the trick. Please attach the model so I can play.

jeric_synergy
09-01-2018, 12:37 PM
And the other thing is to buy 3D Coat, which is fantastic, and a bargain.

I'm #aflw currently, but I'd be interested in this also.

Commander_Chaos
09-01-2018, 02:57 PM

ABF unwrap is how I did it. I almost fainted when it actually worked. This was after I did a very basic tutorial and experimented until I could (mostly) grasp the relationship between the UV map and the physical model.

jeric_synergy
09-01-2018, 07:22 PM
ABF unwrap is how I did it. I almost fainted when it actually worked. This was after I did a very basic tutorial and experimented until I could (mostly) grasp the relationship between the UV map and the physical model.

ABF almost feels like cheating. ;)

It took me a lonnnnng time to get how UV works (not that I use it much at all). You still might want to look at 3d-Coat, because rumor has it the UV and retopo tools are top-notch.

I've seen some hard-surface models out of it that blow my mind, considering it's billed as a sculpting program.

jeric_synergy
09-01-2018, 07:51 PM
Just to be complete:
Using Ken Nign's WEIGHTOUTWARD, it is possible to, e.g. select one edge of a contiguous mesh and weight outward, like this simplistic illustration:

So, that's good. How about something more complex?

So, if there were a way to combine U and V maps (use U from one, and V from another for the same vertex indice) you could get, I think, a very regular UV map. It's not taking into account polygon area, so it wouldn't be like ABF, but it'd be....interesting.

ALSO: in the first pic, note that Ken Nign was clever enough to include a NEW UV MAP option, rather than making the user remember to create one before using the tool. Huh. Imagine that.

Tim Parsons
09-01-2018, 08:40 PM
ABF almost feels like cheating. ;)

It works super reliably for me. I don't open other packages to create UV's anymore. (My UV's are simple for the most part) ;)

jeric_synergy
09-01-2018, 09:44 PM
Oh, yeah: it's one of the best things in LWM. For people w/advanced needs it may not be all that and a bag of chips (so I hear), but to me it seems great.