PDA

View Full Version : Modeler hang

Tim Parsons
08-30-2018, 11:43 AM
There has been some reports of Modeler hanging up when leaving the app and coming back and I as well have experienced this on occasion. Today I experienced something else and I think it's related. (Hub running) I was in Modeler and sent an object to Layout. - All good. While in Layout I determined I needed to change the name of the object, so I went back into Modeler (Not sure why I just didn't do it in Layout :), but I didn't.) So back in Modeler I saved my object out with a different name. All is good. But then I went back into Save model so I could just delete the old model from my system - instant hang! Had to use the Task Manager to kill it. Something isn't right. :(

MonroePoteet
08-31-2018, 11:54 AM
Performing these same steps in LW2018.0.6 doesn't hang Modeler for me: the name of the Object file is changed, and the new name is reflected in Layout.

mTp

Tim Parsons
08-31-2018, 03:17 PM
Yeah if it was repeatable it could be fixed. :)

Here, I think is a related issue. No hang but surely a Hub issue. Yes? :screwy:

https://youtu.be/WIMt2aOWqxI

MonroePoteet
09-01-2018, 09:55 AM
Yes, definitely looks like a Hub issue to me. Weird. Did you derive the four-drawer object from the three-drawer object (i.e. copy-n-paste the three-drawer object then stretch the frame and copy another drawer)? If so, I wonder if there's some sort of stale pointer / file name in the Hub. Does it happen if you restart the Hub?

mTp

Tim Parsons
09-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Yes - I derived the 4 from the 3. I restarted layout and modeler and then of course it works fine. I've never had issues like this with 2015 and earlier. :(

jwiede
09-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Yes - I derived the 4 from the 3. I restarted layout and modeler and then of course it works fine. I've never had issues like this with 2015 and earlier. :(

Yeah, hate to say it, but I'm really close to abandoning the hub in 2018. I really wish they hadn't tied the "Layout Viewport" feature to the hub running, as there's dang good reason so many of us chose to run with the hub disabled. Despite all the fixes done, the Hub is still a significant cause of instability and problems.

Even worse, they took away the "easy" way to disable the hub for Mac users -- now, renaming the hub causes Layout and Modeler to just crash-to-desktop. Considering the Hub has always been and is less stable on Mac than Windows, having the simple/easy way to disable it on Mac was quite valuable. Now the process to disable it requires using special launch scripts, etc. also making disabling the hub much more of a hassle on Mac than Windows.

Ugh. Bugs filed but no responses.

Tim Parsons
09-02-2018, 05:32 PM
No responses to the bugs is because there is no reliable way to recreate them. Like my 4 drawer and 3 drawer chest thing - can't replicate that. My issues seem to come and go. The "Layout Viewport" is a big feature IMO and I have already put it to use in 2 large projects. I love it! But let's consolidate the two apps so we can stop having this discussion. :) Don't see it happening, so I hope they come up with a better way of making Modeler and Layout talk to each other.

mattc
09-02-2018, 07:15 PM
tim,

I've seen this happening and I've got some horrible delays/hangs occurring in Modeler 2018.0.6. It's a matter of finding something repeatable.

jwiede
09-02-2018, 09:22 PM
No responses to the bugs is because there is no reliable way to recreate them.

Actually, the "renaming Hub on Mac causes LW crash-to-desktop at launch" is 100% reliably reproducible.

I've also heard the justification for why they changed the means of disabling the Hub on Mac, but it's pretty specious. They really need to change it back to the old "renamed Hub is disabled". Not only is the current script- and alias-based approach much more complicated and error-prone, but also requires more work to maintain across updates (moving the scripts, editing them to change their targets, etc.). We'll see what happens.