PDA

View Full Version : Tens of Thousands!

aniboy2000
12-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Well, not necessarily that many, but I'm trying to figure out how to make an army of several thousand lo-res people 1) stand in one place and wave their arms like they're cheering, 2)run in one direction, and 3) make a dog-pile like the Agent Smiths in the Matrix 2 (fewer people in this scene).
I considered doing this in Poser, but I discovered that Poser doesn't let you easily clone figures or pose multiple figures at once, and I have no experience programming in PoserPython, so this would be a nightmare for anything over 15 figures.
How would I attempt to do this in Lightwave 7?
Are there any tutorials on this sort of stuff?
I don't need crowd simulation AI - just a bit of randomization. I know there's a tutorial on making a flock of birds, but is there any way to translate this to bipeds - who are standing still in one of the scenes?
Please reply.

(Also, is there any chance of getting this forum to not make me have to sign in every time I try to do anything?)

Axis3d
12-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Depending on the camera angle you are using on the crowd of cheering people, you could render a single person cheering with an alpha channel. Then, you can use an emitter with Hypervoxels. Using sprite clip animations (which would be the animation cycle of the person cheering) attached to the many particles, the size and dispersion of the crowd can be easily controlled between the Emitter and Hypervoxel interfaces. Also, if you render out a few more different characters cheering, you can apply all of these clip animations to the particles and they will be randomly distributed.

You could probably use the same technique with the crowd running also. If you use the particles emitting and flowing across a landscape or a flat plane, you can attach an image sequence of running characters to the particles.

I think the "dog-pile" of people might be more difficult to achieve using this technique.

Using this technique really depends on how close the camera will be to the action since all of these people are really just flat sprites.

prospector
12-30-2003, 11:53 PM
I think there is a plugin on Flay that does exactly what you want to do.
Not 100% sure but I seem to remember it is called 'instancing'?
or HD Instance.

Yep was on Flay

here's page
http://www.happy-digital.com/instance.asp