PDA

View Full Version : Installing downloaded update question - HELP PLEASE

impalaboy
08-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Yesterday I was downloading the updates for my TriCaster 8000. I chose "Download Only" as my option. The very slow download was going to take 2 hours 8 minutes. I left the system alone to download.

When I arrived this morning, the download was complete but I can't figure out how to install the already-downloaded updates.

When I go to Update TriCaster, it takes me to the options of "Download and install" or "Download only.

HOW DO I INSTALL THE UPDATES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN DOWNLOADED?

Thanks.

SBowie
08-29-2018, 09:54 AM
One of the downloaded files will be an .exe. Copy all the files to the TC, if necessary, then run that file.

impalaboy
08-29-2018, 09:57 AM
Thank you for your very quick reply!

There are 7 .exe files. Is the one I am looking for the TriCaster Adv.exe?
What do you mean by 'Copy all the files to the TC..."

SBowie
08-29-2018, 10:04 AM
There are 7 .exe files. Is the one I am looking for the TriCaster Adv.exe?Hmmm. I'd have expected there to be one .exe and a bunch of .bin files, but whatever. The answer to your question is yes.

What do you mean by 'Copy all the files to the TC..."If you downloaded the files to another system, move them to the TriCaster. If you downloaded them directly to the TriCaster, no need to do that.

impalaboy
08-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Hooray!
And away we go....

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

impalaboy
08-29-2018, 10:29 AM
Success! :)

JPulera
08-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Hi Terry,

A couple of tips:

1) When using Download Only option, there will be check boxes for what all you want to download. The CONTENT will be the biggest portion, and is dated so you can see if there has been any recent change you might need - most likely, you do not need to download or install that most of the time. Can just download the actual TriCaster Update which is smaller.

2) Once downloaded, COPY to the D: drive for safekeeping - in the event that you might need to do a RESTORE at some point, that completely WIPES the C: drive, and your update files would be gone and you'd need to download again. Not possible in the field! I have, ON JOB SITE, done a RESTORE and immediately followed by UPDATE installed from my D: drive, was a life-saver on that job. Plus, if you download and install a new UPDATE and it is BAD like last Newtek release and breaks your machine, you will have the previous "good" update file available to re-install from hard drive (you of course can delete much older versions from drive as they pile up and you don't need them).

Thanks

Jeff

impalaboy
08-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Hi Terry,

A couple of tips:

1) When using Download Only option, there will be check boxes for what all you want to download. The CONTENT will be the biggest portion, and is dated so you can see if there has been any recent change you might need - most likely, you do not need to download or install that most of the time. Can just download the actual TriCaster Update which is smaller.

2) Once downloaded, COPY to the D: drive for safekeeping - in the event that you might need to do a RESTORE at some point, that completely WIPES the C: drive, and your update files would be gone and you'd need to download again. Not possible in the field! I have, ON JOB SITE, done a RESTORE and immediately followed by UPDATE installed from my D: drive, was a life-saver on that job. Plus, if you download and install a new UPDATE and it is BAD like last Newtek release and breaks your machine, you will have the previous "good" update file available to re-install from hard drive (you of course can delete much older versions from drive as they pile up and you don't need them).

Thanks

Jeff

Great advice, thanks for the info.

SBowie
08-29-2018, 11:13 AM
Great advice, thanks for the info.Agreed. I have to apologize for not being a bit more fulsome in describing this stuff. When you update multiple systems pretty much every day as I do, it kind of becomes something you do without even thinking. That doesn't make it a no-brainer for everyone else, though, and I appreciate the added detail from thoughtful members like Jeff.