PDA

View Full Version : problem with texturing

triangle
08-29-2018, 09:06 AM
I have a problem with texturing.

I have some planks with holes in them and want to add a wood texture.
If I create a UV texture map (with the little T right at the bottom of the screen)
tried atlas and planar.
The UV creates a chaos of lines and it looks bad....
How can I texture this object right?

unfortunately I don't understand the node system...

(I'm a beginner)

Sensei
08-29-2018, 10:00 AM
1) create empty UV (press 'T' on the bottom right Modeler window, pick up [new], without any initial projection).

2) select some polygons, press Make UV Texture and pick up the same UV map name as already existing from drop-down list. Projection should be adequate to topology of selected polygons. Position, scale, rotate newly created UV map inside of UV space.

3) repeat 2) procedure with different polygons.

ps. Try it on something simpler than your object. e.g. try UV mapping box (dice for playing).
Google for "dice texture" and you will find some textures. Put it to background of UV viewport.
Try mapping each side of dice alone using above procedure. You will have to use Planar projection with various axes and rotations. And position UV vertexes in the right positions (background image as reference).

ps2. Check whether do you have the all points merged, and polygons unified. Merge Points tool, then Unify Polys. Remove 2 point polygons using Polygon Statistics window.

RPSchmidt
08-29-2018, 10:07 AM

If I create a UV texture map (with the little T right at the bottom of the screen)
tried atlas and planar.

(I'm a beginner)

tried atlas and planar.

(I'm a beginner)

This is the way I do it in Lightwave. I'm sure it's not the best way, but it works for me. There are many ways to do it, this is just one.

This also assumes your model is in layer 1.

Start with quad view and set your top left window to UV.

I usually work in parts, especially if the model is complex. To create UV map parts, select the polys of a portion of the model, delete them, and then paste them into layer 2. Continue to remove pieces and paste them into separate layers until you have your model segmented out in a way that makes sense to you and keeps the polys as continuous as possible.

Now, you can use Texture (T) to create a map for each piece in each separate layer using one of the primary UV mapping methods (planar, spherical, cyclindrical, atlas).

When you use T on a single piece in its own layer, you can use the UV method that works best for that section. For example, some pieces may map better using planar along the Z axis, other parts may work better using atlas, etc.

The main thing you need to remember is to use the same name for each map.

So, when you create a map for your first piece, choose T and "new". When the dialogue opens the default map name is "Texture". You can leave it as "Texture" or change it to something different.

When you move to the next layer, select T, and choose "new". When the dialogue comes up, use the same UV map name you just used.

Repeat that for each layer; create a new UV map for each of your pieces, but use the same map name.

Now, delete the model piece in layer 2 and paste it into layer 1. When you do that, you will notice that the UV map for that piece has been added to the UV map for layer 1.

As you delete and paste your individual pieces back into layer 1, their UV mapping will be added to the UV in layer 1. You will need to scale your UV pieces in the UV window as they are added back in, so that all of your pieces fit in the UV area square.

Once all of your pieces are pasted back into layer one, use Merge Points to weld all of your pieces back together again.

Then end result should be your model, back in one piece, with a completed UV map for all of the pieces that fits within the UV area.

Then you can use the image editor of your choice to create your texture using your UV map as a guide.

Hope this helps. Wish I could show you examples, but I don't have access to LW right now.

I'm certain there is a tutorial for this exact process on YouTube or the web somewhere.

MonroePoteet
08-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Be sure to specify the Z axis when creating the Planar texture (UV) map. It looks like you didn't specify that axis on the planar map, so it used X or Y, producing a convoluted UV Map. If that still produces weird mapping for the 3-4 plank model, you might need to specify a different Surface for each of the planks and texture them each separately.

For multi-part wood furniture, I think surfacing the planks separately looks better, since it more accurately represents three (or more) separate real-wood planks and allows more fine-tuning of the specific texture for each plank. For example this "reconstruction" of your heart-drilled box has four UV textures, Plank1 through Plank4, each of which is mapped to a small portion of a Wood paneling image:

142628 Four planks, four UV Textures

142629 Frame 0 render

In Modeler, each of the Plank UV textures is mapped to a small portion of a larger wood paneling image:

142630 Plank 2 part of larger image

and the Principled BSDF material uses a 2D Image Texture to map the image to the UV map and into the color input:

If you use a Standard material for each Plank then you just press the "T" button, specify UV Map for the mapping and the appropriate UV Map, and the Image to be used (MUCH easier, IMO!).

mTp

Tim Parsons
08-29-2018, 11:24 AM
As something as simple as this it almost makes no sense to UV map it when Cubic mapping would work perfectly. If UV's are a must don't overlook ABF UV Unwrap. I do hundreds of wood renderings through out a year and if I need UV's I almost always use ABF Unwrap. (I used to use Modo for my UV creation, but since ABF Unwrap came along I hardly ever touch Modo - for anything else either for that matter. :)) Here lately I've been using Quad Mapper UV and Rectangle UV that is in LWCad - amazing - if you have it.

RPSchmidt
08-29-2018, 11:55 AM
As something as simple as this it almost makes no sense to UV map it when Cubic mapping would work perfectly. If UV's are a must don't overlook ABF UV Unwrap. I do hundreds of wood renderings through out a year and if I need UV's I almost always use ABF Unwrap. (I used to use Modo for my UV creation, but since ABF Unwrap came along I hardly ever touch Modo - for anything else either for that matter. :)) Here lately I've been using Quad Mapper UV and Rectangle UV that is in LWCad - amazing - if you have it.

I was going to talk about ABF UV Unwrap, but I thought my post was already long enough with enough information that may be very new to the OP without throwing that in there.

Plus, ABF UV Unwrap can be a wee bit temperamental and requires a bit more model-subjective finesse.

Tim Parsons
08-29-2018, 12:05 PM
I was going to talk about ABF UV Unwrap, but I thought my post was already long enough with enough information that may be very new to the OP without throwing that in there.

:):):)

Plus, ABF UV Unwrap can be a wee bit temperamental and requires a bit more model-subjective finesse.

That's why I mentioned a simple cubic map doing the trick. :)

jbrookes
09-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Is ABF UV Unwrap part of LightWave or is it a 3rd party plugin?

RPSchmidt
09-07-2018, 12:14 PM
Is ABF UV Unwrap part of LightWave or is it a 3rd party plugin?

It is part of Lightwave.

It has an advantage over the other methods because it allows you to set a seam for the unwrapping by selecting edges.

You can see an example of it in the documentation https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/ABF+Unwrap+UVs

One drawback is that it automatically generates a UV name (Unwrap). If for some reason, you don't like one of the unwraps and you delete that map, even if you are on a separate layer with a separate piece of your model it will delete all of the maps with that name.

I've tried renaming the individual unwraps, but it doesn't seem to take. I'm sure there is a solution for this, or something I'm overlooking but in the meantime I just start my unwraps over again if I run into a problem with a piece.

jeric_synergy
09-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Yeah, that "Unwrap" thing is lame. IMO, it should check and just increment the number, ie "Unwrap", "Unwrap2", etc.

::sigh::

triangle
09-20-2018, 05:29 AM
Thank you all for answering my question!
Sorry for my late response I was away for a little while.

RPSchmidt and MonroePoteet it works but it feels if there must be a faster/simpler manner.

@ Tim Parsons
Can't find Cubic mapping anywhere?! Can you tell me where I can find it?
I'm very interested in this one because it sounds a lot easier than the manners of RPSchmidt and MonroePoteet.

ABF UV Unwrap I didn't know this one...
It sounds very interesting but could't get it to work for this particularly case.

Tim Parsons
09-20-2018, 07:18 AM
@ Tim Parsons
Can't find Cubic mapping anywhere?! Can you tell me where I can find it?

With Cubic (and Planar, Spherical and Cylindrical) mapping you don't do anything to the underlying geometry. It's not a UV mapping procedure. You just select the mapping type (Cubic, Planar, Spherical and Cylindrical) that most closely matches your shape of geometry. The texture panels is where you find these.

triangle
09-21-2018, 06:12 AM
Thanks, I was searching in the wrong place...

RPSchmidt
09-21-2018, 06:48 AM
With Cubic (and Planar, Spherical and Cylindrical) mapping you don't do anything to the underlying geometry. It's not a UV mapping procedure. You just select the mapping type (Cubic, Planar, Spherical and Cylindrical) that most closely matches your shape of geometry. The texture panels is where you find these.

Cubic can be a very good solution for quick texturing, although you get stretching and inconsistencies on objects that are more complex because it is only projecting against the object where the x,y.z intersect. So where the projection hits a more complex part of the model you get stretching.

Also, just in case you aren't aware of it, projection mapping (Cubic, Planar, Spherical, Cylindrical) isn't static*. If you move, scale, stretch, etc. your object in Modeler, the mapping doesn't move so you would probably need to adjust the texture again if you make those types of changes to your model in Modeler.

Sorry if you already knew that, but thought you should be aware.

*Actually, that's not what I meant there. Projection mapping IS static to the world and the rotation / scale / position that you provide... but not static to the model you are using it on. So when you move your model, the texture stays put. Hope that makes more sense.

triangle
09-21-2018, 07:01 AM
Ok, that sounds dangerous. So only use Cubic if you are 100% certain of the location of the part/model.

strange that in 'Create UV texture map' there is no Cubic option available.

jwiede
09-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Ok, that sounds dangerous. So only use Cubic if you are 100% certain of the location of the part/model.

You don't seem to understand -- Cubic Projection is NOT just another form of generating UV texture maps for an object, like ABF Unwrap. It's a way of projecting images onto an object as textures that doesn't require a UV map at all (more accurately, its a parametric way of auto-mapping image textures' texture coordinate space onto the model's coordinate space).

RPSchmidt
09-21-2018, 01:46 PM

Cubic isn't for UV; it's a projection texture. Refer back to Tim Parson's image example of the Texture Editor above.

Tim Parsons
09-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Cubic can be a very good solution for quick texturing, although you get stretching and inconsistencies on objects that are more complex because it is only projecting against the object where the x,y.z intersect. So where the projection hits a more complex part of the model you get stretching.

Also, just in case you aren't aware of it, projection mapping (Cubic, Planar, Spherical, Cylindrical) isn't static*. If you move, scale, stretch, etc. your object in Modeler, the mapping doesn't move so you would probably need to adjust the texture again if you make those types of changes to your model in Modeler.

Sorry if you already knew that, but thought you should be aware.

*Actually, that's not what I meant there. Projection mapping IS static to the world and the rotation / scale / position that you provide... but not static to the model you are using it on. So when you move your model, the texture stays put. Hope that makes more sense.

Yep, I'm well aware of all that. :) I use LW more or less as the original developers conceived it - that is, Modeler is the model shop and Layout is the stage. Therefore I model all my "props" on the 0,0,0 origin as single items and bring everything into my scenes as separate items. I mostly do interiors, so my room is separate as well as all the furniture and decorative pieces are separate models that I bring into Layout and setup my scene. Working this way limits the need for texture mapping that needs to stick to your model in Modeler - AKA, UV mapping. I've seen other users that build the scene in Modeler and then bring the big model into Layout for rendering. I elect to build the scene in Layout. That being said, I UV map a lot of my models - things like sofas and chairs etc. but Triangle's model appeared to be perfect for simple cubic mapping.

RPSchmidt
09-22-2018, 12:02 AM
Yep, I'm well aware of all that. :) I use LW more or less as the original developers conceived it - that is, Modeler is the model shop and Layout is the stage. Therefore I model all my "props" on the 0,0,0 origin as single items and bring everything into my scenes as separate items. I mostly do interiors, so my room is separate as well as all the furniture and decorative pieces are separate models that I bring into Layout and setup my scene. Working this way limits the need for texture mapping that needs to stick to your model in Modeler - AKA, UV mapping. I've seen other users that build the scene in Modeler and then bring the big model into Layout for rendering. I elect to build the scene in Layout. That being said, I UV map a lot of my models - things like sofas and chairs etc. but Triangle's model appeared to be perfect for simple cubic mapping.

Ahh... Sorry, think there has been a misunderstanding... I didn't quote you because I was replying to your post, I quoted you to expand on what you had already written.... adding to the body of information presented for the OP's benefit, so they might know what to expect when / if they use cubic mapping.

It made sense when I was writing it, but reading it I can see how it looks like I was trying to school you :o

I have seen and admired your work (probably posted some props on it here too) and am pretty certain you don't need me to tell you how projection mapping works ;)

P.S. I am replying to you now:)

Tim Parsons
09-24-2018, 06:33 AM
LOL! Thanks for the clarification.

triangle
09-26-2018, 08:38 AM
Ok. Another problem.... ^^
How can I make a material with a gradient without using a jpg.?
I tried: surface editor -> standard material -> t -> layer type on gradient nothing visible
I tried: nodes (see attachement) but I don't see the gradient on the object.

What do I miss?

Tim Parsons
09-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Ok. Another problem.... ^^
How can I make a material with a gradient without using a jpg.?
I tried: surface editor -> standard material -> t -> layer type on gradient nothing visible
I tried: nodes (see attachement) but I don't see the gradient on the object.

What do I miss?

You need an appropriate input parameter to drive it. If you just want that gradient color to transverse that disk add a null object to your scene and then select "(X,Y or Z) Distance to Object" and select the null as your driver. Move your null around and you can position the gradient placement. Be sure and parent the null to the disk if you intend to animate the disk.