PDA

View Full Version : MXF Export Fails 100% of the time.

JimPMCM
08-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Our Tricaster 8000 export process hangs at 99% complete exporting a recording done on the Tricaster 100% of the time. Other formats export but not MXF. The 8000 doesn't hang, the export function never completes and we have to exit the tricaster session to cancel the export. We are using 720p to record. We have contacted NewTek multiple times and at first they admitted it was a bug but now they claim its not. We have factory reset the Tricaster 3 times and created new sessions and it has never exported a MXF file. Our Harmonic media center only plays MXF so we have to export in M4V and then convert the M4V to MXF with a different app. We have spent hours/days/weeks with Tricaster support who now says they can no longer reproduce our export hang and they have no idea what is wrong even though it is 100% reproducible on our system.

Does anyone else hang exporting in MXF at 720p? Or is it as Newtek claims "Just us"?

EDIT: I should re-state .... this is a 720p issue. 1080i seems to work fine.

Zane Condren
08-28-2018, 10:27 AM
What codec are you choosing when you setup the trancode preset? I just tried this here using XDCam HD and exported a clip as an MXF from a 720p session without issue. Are you exporting the clips to a local media drive or a network share?

JimPMCM
08-28-2018, 10:40 AM
We are using IMX50-D10 codec but I have tried the default XDCam too. We are exporting to the local media drive. It must be a recording from the Tricaster. Exporting foreign imported media to MXF seems to work. Its just the recordings from the Tricaster that fail 100% of the time. The scroll bar in the export goes 99% of the way across the export line and stops. It will stay there forever or until we exit the session.

Zane Condren
08-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Please PM me the support case number and I will make sure we have all the information we need to reproduce this in-house.

JimPMCM
08-28-2018, 11:57 AM
Zane,

While I appreciate the help and I will send you the case number(s) in a PM, this has been going on for months and I have lost all confidence in NewTek. At first we were told this was a bug and would be fixed asap, then we were told its only our system and they do not know why, and then we were ignored. The ignored method seems to be the NewTek support departments go-to for things they cant figure out. Maybe if they ignore our problem we will just go away? Well they are right we will probably go away from NewTek.

The case(s) contain all the information to reproduce it. In fact one NewTek support engineer did reproduce it. That is when we were told it was a bug fix.

However, my goal in posting to the forum is to find out from real world users if I am fighting a Bug or a mystery problem. As I mentioned we factory reset the system 3 times and created a new 720p session. No session restores were done, but it still fails to export. This sounds like a straight forward bug to me, but NewTek support says "Not a bug, its just us". So having NewTek support repro the issue again and then ignore us again isn't my goal. Finding out if others have the same problem is my goal.

JimPMCM
09-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Zane,

Just wanted to update you. As I expected, I have heard "NOTHING" from NewTek support. We continue to have the problem 100% of the time.

I ask the community again.... Can anyone successfully export a recording done on the Tricaster 8000 to mxf from a 720p session? I know 1080i works and I believe the mini works too. Its just a recording from the 8000 in 720p that hangs during the export.

SBowie
09-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Not to speak for Zane (who is probably on his way to IBC), but just to let you know - he opened a Fogbugz case (#96485) based on your report; QA reproduced the issue, and it is in the queue for attention by the developers.

JimPMCM
09-21-2018, 08:41 AM
I received a new version of Tricaster Advanced software yesterday from support. Exporting MXF recordings "STILL" doesn't work! Is there any information on the Fogbugz case (#96485)?

Zane Condren
09-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Hi Jim,

Sorry we were mistaken that is was fixed for TriCaster 8000. We have confirmed we fixed it today. Customer Support will be in touch.

JimPMCM
11-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Ok so another 45 days have past and NO one has contacted me and our Tricaster is still broken. So we are now past 1 year without a fix.

SBowie
11-01-2018, 10:24 AM
I can't speak for Customer Support, but they may have taken a step back when Zane opened the Fogbugz case. Looking at the latter, I see it marked as tested and resolved when he said it was, but we've not had a build release since then (it's possible there are other outstanding issues that need to be fixed first, not sure).

In the normal course of affairs, QA might have reached out to you to see whether you'd like to try the beta, but in this case - since Zane opened the case - they don't have your contact details. Reading this thread, I'd assume that CS probably does, but QA wouldn't know that from the case notes that they can see.

So, all of this is an explanation, not really an excuse - and while I can add my apology, to move the thing forward I have to suggest that you drop a line to [email protected], mention that you are the customer referred to in case 96485, and ask whether a release is impending, or if perhaps it might be possible to gain access to a beta to confirm the fix.

JimPMCM
02-12-2019, 08:52 AM
So I have to thank NewTek for fixing the MXF Export bug after we waited more than a year for the fix. And then PROMPTLY REMOVING MXF EXPORT COMPLETELY IN THE NEXT RELEASE (AE3). So the Tricaster is again no longer compatible with Harmonic Media centers. My only assumption is NewTek feels their market is YouTuber's and has decided to dump the broadcast market. Good luck with your new marketing path NewTek. Anyone want to buy a gently used Tricaster 8000?

SBowie
02-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Truly sorry, MXF was recently broken again. The new case (98546) was opened on February 6th, and is not yet resolved.

JimPMCM
02-14-2019, 12:07 PM
Broken? The option is gone from the menu!

SBowie
02-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Yes. That's how it got broken ... though there's probably more to it, too. Call it "absent" if it matters, though ... borked, cassť, awol.

webslave
02-14-2019, 05:03 PM
My only assumption is NewTek feels their market is YouTuber's and has decided to dump the broadcast market.

I'll admit, I've been wondering for a while, and since looking at AE3...

Zane Condren
02-14-2019, 07:18 PM
Considering AE3 is bringing our XD line of TriCasters to a closer feature parity with our higher end systems that in use by some of the largest broadcast networks in the world you would be mistaken.

webslave
02-17-2019, 04:01 PM
It seems like much of AE3 is actually about making the unit "more accessible" to novices.

Honestly, the best possible thing that could be done for the broadcast market is an obsessive focus for a while on stability and predictability. It kills me to have expensive Tricasters sitting on the shelf in the warehouse that I can't send out on gigs that they are appropriately sized for because the event is too important to risk it. I'm far from the only one - even a simple scan over Reddit tells me that. It's like some Tricasters are haunted and some are flawless. I've got one in my collection (it's a Mini, would you believe it??) that is flawless, whereas the rest all have varying levels of instability or unpredictability. Some of the ones we have specced for installs have been perfect, whereas others have not.

Surely other people know all too well that if you mention you have a Tricaster or will be using one that someone's going to immediately tell you their Tricaster horror story and tell you that's why they don't trust them on gigs?

Tricasters can do a few cool tricks that even much more expensive stuff can't do. But those cool tricks are niche tricks, which is probably why the more expensive stuff doesn't focus on it - and certainly it's not enough to excuse it failing in-show.