PDA

View Full Version : Any Blender 3D heads?

Nakia
12-30-2003, 04:11 PM
ANy Blender 3D heads here? If so are you able to work with LW and Blender together. Import and exporting to each app?

mrunion
12-30-2003, 06:09 PM
I used Blender before LW. I didn't do a whole lot with it. I thought it was excellent. I haven;t used the latest version but they have added the beginnings of raytracing now (v2.31a).

Nakia
12-30-2003, 06:15 PM
I fired up 2.31
Boy did it change over the last releases.
Blender is cool. I look at it as a way to model on other computers with out having to pay for my Seats of LW on every computer I have. So for me finding a good way to use both together is helpful.
Blender makes a good solution on my older SGI boxes I have.
I figure the best way to use both apps together is through composition work of the final renders.

siproductions
12-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Yep I'm an old blender blunderer.:D I learned 3d on that software. It has a special place in my heart. I don't use it much though because it is so hard to get a decent mesh exporter for it to LW. You can open the .DXF files in blender that LW out puts, but you can't send them back into LW. I like it though and I have some of my old blender work on my reel still. I wish that LW and Blender would integrate more. BTW They have a 2.7 version last I saw.

Melvil
12-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Blender was also my first introduction into the 3D world a few years back. It's definately got a special place in my heart(as I wouldn't be here today without it) as well, but like siproductions I don't use it very much now. I've played with it a bit recently with the new releases and love what's happening with it though.

-Dave

Titus
12-31-2003, 12:48 AM
Blenderhead since 1.8. and lightwaver since 5.5.

I'm running my own studio using LW and a Video Toaster 2 but I'll start to colaborate part time with a research lab, they gave me a very expensive SGI machine with no software inside (no more money), my plan is to install Blender for the visualization work, lets see if this works..

Titus
12-31-2003, 12:52 AM
It's hard to leave LW!

WilliamVaughan
12-31-2003, 07:38 AM
Titus...can you share withus your experience of using Vt3 as a LW user? I'd be interested to hear what you have to say...

gjjackson
12-31-2003, 08:18 AM
I started with Blender a few years ago. I was a bit surprised how LW resembled it in some ways. I especially liked the idea of non-icon buttons. It also makes for more efficient code.

Titus
12-31-2003, 10:58 AM
Proton: I haven't upgraded to VT3... yet.

This is the best invesment I made in the last couple of years, I realized first I don't need many features of the VT like the switcher, video stream or CG and it took me a year to install Speed Razor correctly.

I use Aura and LW in a daily basis and urgently need a compositing software like Digital Fusion. Apart from the editing solution, my VT is an excelent tool for dailies.

I tend to be a little naive and some customers have a strange look when I say I work with a VT, then then question: "oh, you have an Amiga?". However, the best clients don't ask for the software/hardware if I can deliver the work on time.

Nakia
12-31-2003, 01:32 PM
Going from blender to LW was an easier move for me than any other App.
To me they seem very simuliar

siproductions
12-31-2003, 05:44 PM
Yeah Nakia , I found it easy as well. I recommend Blender to the people who don't want to shell out $1,200 for a 3D program but still want to learn. I mean you can't beat the price.:D

Nakia
12-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Once you open your mind up to Blender, it makes you aware how modeling works.
The only other program that made me relly look hard (besides LW) at 3D was povray and the Renderman Compliant renders.
Alot of people shoot blender down before they really give it a chance.
For a free program it offers alot. It put to use my Sun and SGI machines.

siproductions
01-01-2004, 07:49 AM
It really helped me out to learn how to use the IPO curves in blender. Everything transferred so easily to LW in that respect. What would we do without a curve editor?

Yeah Blender is funny, because it's so powerful and most people don't even see it. I mean it even has it's own little video editor in it. I think that it's a little intimidating for a beginner, however that is changing with the new versions and tutorials that are out.

scorpius
01-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by siproductions
Yep I'm an old blender blunderer.:D I learned 3d on that software. It has a special place in my heart. I don't use it much though because it is so hard to get a decent mesh exporter for it to LW. ... I wish that LW and Blender would integrate more.

Then you haven't seen my Import/Export suite. It works directly with LWO files. See my recent post (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15955) for a good example.

It's also good to see some blender users here. Nakia, I'm also from NJ. Why does that name sound familiar?

Nakia
01-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Hmm I post on the www.elysiun.com site also.
I use your Import/Export Suite on my SGI box. Does it work with the latest release of Blender? Its by far the best.
I'm from the Union County area. Not too many Nakias around also.

Nakia
01-04-2004, 01:38 PM
I will have to use the 2.25 version of blender. Also I never used Blender on Windows with Windows version of Python. I will be very thankful if you can fill me in on how to set up python and windows to use with blender. I used Blender only on (Linux, SGI and OS X).
Working with the two Apps (LW and Blender) is something that I will love to get involved with big time.

Nakia
01-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Got it to work! alot I have to get used to.
What will better to use LW files from LW 5.6 or 7.5c? it works with 7.5c but I have a SGI box with LW5.6 and Blender (and Good OL BMRT) also. Seem like the Blender 2.23 on SGI is more stable then on my Windows XP box.
If you have any more good scripts to make Blender and LW work together Let me know I will love to try them out.

scorpius
01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
My scripts are written for 2.23, but they should work with little modification for 2.31a. Glad you got it working.

The LW module exports to 6.0 to 7.5 format only. I have an old one for 5.6 somewhere. Also note that UV coords are not dealt with at the moment. But vertex colors are.

Anyway it reads LWO files from any version of LW, including future versions (provided the PNTS and POLS chunks don't change).

I also have a LWO expoter for Wings3D with support for UV and vertex colors.

Nakia
01-04-2004, 04:53 PM
If you ever created a 2.31a script I will love to get it. I'm not much of a prorammer as of now (Learning VB.NET in college).

Did you create a blender .RIB exporter for BMRT and Entropy or any of the other Renderman renderers? Going from LW to Blender might work out good for some Renderman renders. Not to much Renderman options for LW out there.

Thanks for such a good script to link Blender and LW (Along with other apps) together!!

scorpius
01-05-2004, 01:26 PM
I'll eventually get all my scripts working for 2.31a. Others have written rib exporters and there is (or was) an unofficial blender compile that exports to rib directly.

Hey, I could probably write an Lscript to export to rib from within LW, but I'm not sure if it is possible with LW's API. Besides I don't really know the lscript langauage or if it is enabled in the demo/discovery edition.

Nakia
01-05-2004, 02:32 PM
There is an Version of blender "Tuhopuu2" that directly work with RIB files and render using 3Delight. I forgot about Blenderman plugin also.

Lightman ribs files from 7.5 works real good after a slight mod to .rib file on my SGI box using 3Delight. But it cost $$. The Demo version works well. I will pull my LW Dongle on my LW and it crashes when I go to export it.
http://www.td-grafik.de/softw/lightman.php

Heres a Free one that seems to work with Discovery Edition (I pulled the Dongel plug) but no Shader support. It render good on my SGI box but just all grey :-). And it for both Mac OS X and Intel.
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1570

I guess you can make plugins and have them work in Discovery Edition. But not sure if you can write them. do the Discovery Edition have the Lscript directory in the install directory?

This is a site with Renderman Shaders ported to LW
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/shades/welcome.html

wavk
01-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Hi Nakia,

I exported a couple of scenes from Blender to Lightwave by exporting wrl or dxf (can't remember which one works best) from blender and converting it to obj with accutrans. Obj imports good in LightWave. It needs some post work to get the mesh clean again, but it works quite well. Tricksy thing it remains, exporting objects to other software.

My advice is to not use a renderman renderer. They all suck bigtime and almost all of them are discontinued. The 3Delight site hasn't been updated for quite some time, promising a release a long time ago. BMRT was discontinued, 3dVirtuaLight seems discontinued as well.

YafRay is the next big thing. It's development is very fast and at the moment the cvs version of Blender contains a beta yafray rendering integration. YafRay is way better than all free renderman renderers out there.

The most imporant reason I switched to LightWave was because of Blender's internal renderer, but that is changing rapidly. And it's just too much work using an external renderer, I tried that for a long time, but with such tight deadlines, it really gets on your nerves. If LightWave isn't going to update it's renderer, I'm off again:)

Have fun,

Wybren van Keulen
Funny Farm

Nakia
01-06-2004, 08:18 AM
I played around with yafray and I agree its making itself a good name. Yafray export from LW maight be a good thing to have. Its files written in XML which should not be too hard to make a plugin for LW for.
If LW had better support for other renderers it will be a lot better.
The Shaders that Renderman has is what makes it so attractive. But it still seem to be Movie Industry Standard, it put out good quality at the large screen level.
Blender and LW will be the perfect partners for smaller shops with multiple computers but few seats of LW and the rest running Blender. Blender is good on Laptops.