PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro?

Commander_Chaos
08-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Thinking about a MacBook pro. Anyone else here running Lightwave on one?

Marander
08-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Thinking about a MacBook pro. Anyone else here running Lightwave on one?

I use a MacBook Pro 15" with Touchbar (but not for 3D). However there is no issue running LW or other 3D app on it. LW Modeler and Layout run just fine, there is no navigation issue with the trackpad and the OpenGL display works good.

It's a great machine, very light and slim, very high SSD performance, good battery life, a great display and brilliant speakers.

However for rendering or other content creation apps, it can be about 1/3 slower than Windows laptops with similar specs (mainly due to its slim design and cpu throttling at high cpu utilization). Also note that you don't really want to render animations or large stills on an ultra mobile laptop.

Therefore I use the Mac for my day job (using virtualization and development apps for example) and a Dell XPS 15 and XPS 13 for mobile 3D design (but do the main rendering on Win workstations). If you don't mind using Win you should consider the Dell XPS 15, which has a NVidia GPU instead of the Radeon in the Mac as well as the brilliant 4k touch display. Also note that some tools or plugins are only available for Win. Overall the MacBook Pro is a robust and versatile machine and MacOS is great to use of course.

JohnMarchant
08-26-2018, 05:24 PM
I have a Dell XPS 15 and apart from the camera position its a fantastic laptop. I have the maxed out one with 32 GD, 1TB SSD and 4K Screen.

Commander_Chaos
08-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm trying to transition into doing freelance illustration full time and I'd like to have a machine that I can carry around with me. I sit at a desk for 8-9 hours daily and I want some flexibility for my environment plus the ability to do onsite work.

I've never used a PC for anything significant, although it's not out of the question. My understanding is that the MacBook isn't expandable beyond the factory configuration.

JohnMarchant
08-28-2018, 11:59 AM
Well to be fair the Macbook offers less expandability than an equivilant PC Laptop, but its not impossible, just harder and more expensive. I did the same thing as you about a year ago. I even wanted to dabble my toe in the Macbook world but could not justify it. Yes i had the money and could have had a top of the range MBP but at nearly twice the price of my Dell XPS and a lower spec. Im not even sure a MBP comes with 32 GB memory, 4K Touch Screen and 1TB SSD.

Ultimately it came down to price, so i got the Dell and 2 x 1080 cards for the desktop.

Commander_Chaos
09-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Well to be fair the Macbook offers less expandability than an equivilant PC Laptop, but its not impossible, just harder and more expensive. I did the same thing as you about a year ago. I even wanted to dabble my toe in the Macbook world but could not justify it. Yes i had the money and could have had a top of the range MBP but at nearly twice the price of my Dell XPS and a lower spec. Im not even sure a MBP comes with 32 GB memory, 4K Touch Screen and 1TB SSD.

Ultimately it came down to price, so i got the Dell and 2 x 1080 cards for the desktop.

Roughly how much did that cost?

JohnMarchant
09-02-2018, 04:29 AM
My Dell XPS cost 1600, thats XPS 15, 32Gb Memory, 4K Touch Screen, 1TB SSD, GTX 1050 4GB.

This was brought 1 year ago. At the time, MBP did not come with 32 GB or equivalent Graphics card and SSD. All together a top of the range MBP came in at nearly 3000.