PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave particles 2 blender?

prometheus
08-25-2018, 10:08 AM
I would like to try this workflow, but I canīt seem to find anything about it...nor do I get a good start trying for myself with various exports.
So anyone who tried to get lightwave particles in to Blender, and if so what you used?
Questions on why I would like to do that is irrelevant for me.:D

prometheus
08-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Bumping back, I got it going a bit now...I thought dpont had something, I used the dpont motion designer and the particle scan, then saved it out as mdd with the option to save lwo object as well, then loaded the lwo in blender, then in modifier tab use the mesh cashe and loading the mdd file created from the particle scan, so the particles got in there..the basics anyway.
Now I need to verify how useful this could be.

I wanted to try this since (until I have learned blender particles to a decent level) I am way more confident with Lightwave particles and spawning stuff based on collisions, so I may try some of that..including bullet breaking stuff, I have already tried bullet breaking stuff and sending to blender with mdd scanned stuff, and it reacts decently to blender fluid fire and smoke, now I need to try a bit with these particle scans and see what data I can retreive and if they would be useful in someway with blenders fluid fire and smoke.

prometheus
08-25-2018, 01:06 PM
currently I am not getting anywhere in terms of getting going fast with the mdd scanned imported particles ...I am having trouble trying to translate to any readable source for the smoke fire fluids in blender.

I was thinking of a script on Dpontīs page, a pc2,py converter..but itīs refering to a page by Matt Ebb responsable for that cache modifier..and itīs not available there it seems.
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/MDD_Pointer.html

oliverhotz
08-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Its pretty simple.. select the particles in blender.. export them as alembic, and then use ODTools's AlembicParticlesToPFX and you have a .pfx file you can download into lw.

prometheus
08-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Its pretty simple.. select the particles in blender.. export them as alembic, and then use ODTools's AlembicParticlesToPFX and you have a .pfx file you can download into lw.

You got it the wrong way, I want Lightwave particles to blender, not the opposite, if od tools is an option then the workflow need to be just as smooth for exporting lw particles to blender, and they need to be readable as data for the blender smoke flow.
I am using Lightwave 2015 and not 2018

I can get basic particles in to blender with the dpont particle scan and mdd cache, but it doesnīt seem to be readable for any smoke flow container in blender.

oliverhotz
08-25-2018, 03:40 PM
argh.. sorry about that.. totally misread the post... your mdd route, is that actually seen by blender AS a particle system ?

prometheus
08-25-2018, 03:56 PM
argh.. sorry about that.. totally misread the post... your mdd route, is that actually seen by blender AS a particle system ?

No..not that I know of, you get points in there moving as particles, but it canīt be read by blenders own cache particle system, neither have I suceeded to apply particles to that mdd cached file, and neither can I get the mdd file to be recognized within blenders smoke fluids, as opposite to when I import a bullet broken mesh, which in fact can be recognized in blender to add smoke and fire on any mesh, including bullet breaked parts.

dpont had as I mentioned a pc2.py script..(linked to Matt Ebbīs site) that may work, so if that could be used to scan the particles and read as pc2 cache in blender instead of mdd, but the script isnīt there on Ebbīs site.

The reason to why I want to have lightwave particles in there is because I really like blenders smoke and fire( compared to turbulenceFD in lightwave)
( direct fire and smoke opengl, weight paint and emission, and a true shading system unlike turbulenceFD which requires old volumetric system..and a terribly slow multiple scattering method)

Rendering with GPU is prefered..but I still have to get to know blenders particle system a bit more, and then lightwave has good options for breaking stuff with bullet, including the bullet bone dynamics, so getting all of that stuff going to blender is my goal.

the route of getting blender particles in to lightwave with od tools, that will be of interest once I see some other enhancements in Lightwave.

Ztreem
08-25-2018, 06:00 PM
No..not that I know of, you get points in there moving as particles, but it canīt be read by blenders own cache particle system, neither have I suceeded to apply particles to that mdd cached file, and neither can I get the mdd file to be recognized within blenders smoke fluids, as opposite to when I import a bullet broken mesh, which in fact can be recognized in blender to add smoke and fire on any mesh, including bullet

I think you need to apply some geometry to the particles, like a triangle or such. Then export as mdd and then in blender apply particles to those triangles. I saw a youtube video about that before and I posted a link to it in a thread about particles between modo and LW but I can’t find any more...

and then lightwave has good options for breaking stuff with bullet,

You should test the fracture modifier in blender it makes LW feel stiff and old.

prometheus
08-26-2018, 07:40 AM
I think you need to apply some geometry to the particles, like a triangle or such. Then export as mdd and then in blender apply particles to those triangles. I saw a youtube video about that before and I posted a link to it in a thread about particles between modo and LW but I can’t find any more...

Yes, I was also thinking about that, itīs easy to do..but I would rather just have a format ready to go, thatīs why I was looking at a script or something..I did mail Matt Ebb about that pc2.py script which is linked from the dpont page, but no answer yet..to early or his too busy.
Though I question if it would be necessary to add blender particles on top of that geometry, since I already have gotten bullet broken parts in to blender with mdd sucessfully and readable withing the fire and smoke fluids.

You should test the fracture modifier in blender it makes LW feel stiff and old.

I already have...that is if you talk about the fracture build? that is awesome with realtime cracking and parametric as well, and you can add subdiv modifier on top of it as well, great for cracked ruins...that said, the bullet engine in lightwave has itīs use I think, at least till I learn all about dynamics and fracturing in blender, there is also the bullet bone dynamics, together with bullet fracturing I may want to use..and I am not sure there is something equivalent in blender.
Or do you mean the standard fracture modifier in blender? the fracture build however is not part of the standard latest blender release, which sort of screws things up cause I want to use the fluids with the new volumetric principle shaders, and the blender fracture build doesnīt have that.

I need to learn more about particle spawning from collision objects as well as breaking stuff in blender...where I today feel more comfortable with and have more knowledge in Lightwave.

Ztreem
08-26-2018, 09:14 AM
Yes, I mean the fracture modifier in the fracture build. To transfer the bullet breaking from one blender build to another shouldn’t be any harder than to do it from LW. I bought the flip fluids addon and its just great and it works with the fracture modifier and it looks so much better than the native one.

prometheus
08-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Yes, I mean the fracture modifier in the fracture build. To transfer the bullet breaking from one blender build to another shouldn’t be any harder than to do it from LW. I bought the flip fluids addon and its just great and it works with the fracture modifier and it looks so much better than the native one.

May I ask, what did the flip fluid plugin cost with the vat? USD & SEK

Ztreem
08-26-2018, 11:58 AM
May I ask, what did the flip fluid plugin cost with the vat? USD & SEK

They had a sale when I bought it. I think it was $56 and they charged my creditcard 511kr, very good value if you ask me.

prometheus
08-27-2018, 04:33 AM
They had a sale when I bought it. I think it was $56 and they charged my creditcard 511kr, very good value if you ask me.

Pricing sounds ok, but I have to read up on the blender flip fluids first, and then check the current price of course.

I got a message from Matt Ebb who made the pc2.py script, he can not find it anymore..and he was not even sure it worked on particles, so that seem to be a dead end unless someone can locate it and share, with permission from Matt of course.
I may or may not continue to see if I can find a good route of getting lw particles in there, before I give up and resort to learning blender particles all the way.(always challening) .Itīs also a question of wether or not blender particles can do everything lightwave can in terms of particle spawning etc.

prometheus
09-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Still havenīt done research on the flip fluids addon..but soon, anyway..I think I may give up on the getting lw particles 2 blender thingy, just started to go more indepth with the fracture build again, and learning to use the generate smaller shards and the options for smoke and debris, and it is really sweet..automaticly setting up a brush for after breaking the stuff and emitting smoke and or fire with that so that is awesome, need to learn more about the dynamic paint for cracking stuff etc, and further ahead flip fluids since as you said it is working with that.

I need to check though if saving out this blender file and itīs elements with extra shards and dust debri smoke will stay alive once I try it with the 2.79 version with the principled volume materials.

I need to do a proper evaluation concerning turbulenceFD VS blenders fluid fire and smoke, I know that I can get better fire and smoke shading within blender than I think I could with turbulenceFD, and I can also
render it Way faster with cycles...you have to consider investing in octane for lightwave if you would try and match that speed, then you got octane for blender as well and that would of course be a competitor.
there are some initial settings in the domain container for blender that maybe doesnīt match up against turbulenceFD, and the control over detail and simulation speed, but rendering and openGL presentation I feel is better with the blender fluids, and I also got the option to emitt fluids from weigth paint or dynamic paint, nothing of that is available in turbulenceFD.

Though I do suspect turbulenceFD may be a better monster for huge simulations...and blenders fluid may be more difficult to get good quality from, except for increasing the resolution very much.

Ztreem
09-09-2018, 02:38 PM
Just a notice. The flip fluids addon will be on sale 18th September. It’s also said that mantaflow will be in blender 2.8, so then you will have one more option for fluids and smoke. Lino also said that the free version ( one GPU) of Octane 4 will come to Blender. Good times ahead.

prometheus
09-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Just a notice. The flip fluids addon will be on sale 18th September. It’s also said that mantaflow will be in blender 2.8, so then you will have one more option for fluids and smoke. Lino also said that the free version ( one GPU) of Octane 4 will come to Blender. Good times ahead.

Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye on mantaflow and flip fluids and try to do some research as soon as possible.
And yes..I saw Linos demonstration of octane for blender, looking great.

I still think the new volumetrics for clouds is nicer in a way to set up in Lightwave, than trying to do corresponding volumetric volumes in blender (if not using fluids that is)
But ... itīs just that the workflow of
working with volumetrics in Lightwave took a beating and step back in my opinion in regards to how easy it was to set up with the old hv tab, otherwise I feel that the best tool to create any cloud shape I want..that would be in Houdini, so it will be interesting to see how easy it may be to import houdini VDB clouds to blender and see if the renders holds up there, since I do not think the multiple scattering or any advanced scattering is working properly within Lightwave...I want to see if that is the same case with blender as well...if it lacks proper scattering.