PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2

BEDOFDOLLS
12-30-2003, 04:05 PM
Hello again.

Rendering black plastic has been hard for me for ages, final done some i think is ok, i will add more images soon tomorrow.

any commen't or how u approach rendering black plastic, i can do normal coloured plastics but with black it just seems different

BEDOFDOLLS
12-30-2003, 04:06 PM
picture

wingwalker
12-30-2003, 04:17 PM
its looking good...dunno about the black plastic...not something ive tried yet!!

One thing i would say is, I think you could do with some bevels on those edges...they look too sharp as they are. To save you some time, I remember seeing a shader that will bevel edges..and the results looked good. But unfortunatley I cant remember where i saw it...maybe someone on the forum knows. I will try and find the link for you.

Have you tried using HDRI for lighting? It might help with the plastic look!

Other than those points I think it looks great.

Rob T

wingwalker
12-30-2003, 04:31 PM
found it

http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/p_lwp.html

BEDOFDOLLS
12-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Wow looks really good - i will have to give it a try tomorrow, and it will save alot of work.

Thanks again,

Ashley Allen

Axis3d
12-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Try lowering the Diffuse value of the black plastic. This will help keep some of the ambient light from affecting the surface so much. Also, some specular highlights and a little reflectivity to the plastic will help sell it also. Good attention to detail on the object.

nawDsign
12-30-2003, 06:49 PM
is there a mac bevel shader?

Matt
12-30-2003, 08:44 PM
black plastic can give poor results as it has little visual information to give back, especially matte plastic which the Playstation casing has. Highly reflective plastic is always easier because it has nice reflections to help.

The way I normally approach it is to give it a high specularity but low gloss level to give an even spread of light across the surfaces, this helps show the form better, good lighting is the key here, don't rely on global illumination to do everything for you, you'll need some key lighting to bring out the specularity.