PDA

View Full Version : LWEXT2018.0.6-64.cfg problem

Andy Webb
08-24-2018, 07:55 AM
I recently started a large job in 2018.0.5, after an intensive day in LW I shut down the machine hoping for an early start the next day.

After booting up the following morning and openning LW, I found I had no plugins at all and my LWEXT2018.0.6-64.cfg file was showing 0 bytes!

After a bit of faffing around I desided to install 2018.0.6, this went fine and I was up and running again.

Unfortunately every morning since then, on boot up, the same thing has happend, LWEXT2018.0.6-64.cfg file shows 0 bytes.

Yesterday (Thursday), was a less frantic day in LW and this morning there has been no problems - could this be a bug that only occurs when resources are low?

Any thoughts as to what could course this?

It has never happened to me before :stumped:

Cheers

OFF
08-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Same thing.

Andy Webb
08-24-2018, 09:49 AM
Same thing.

Well at least I'm not alone :)

Markc
08-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Does this file only exist on PC?
Did a search and found nothing.....:stumped:

There is a Extensions 2018.0.6 file in my Prefs folder, which is zero bytes, but all plugins are there, native and third party (I do have autoscan on).

Photogram
08-27-2018, 08:30 AM
I have a different problem, sometimes Modeler suddenly close when switching to Modeler from the Layout...

Markc
08-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Do you mean Modeler crashes?

adk
08-27-2018, 04:22 PM
I've had all manner of weird install behaviour happened to me on most of the 2018 versions to be honest.
Menu branches greyed out or simply missing, plugins only present in CFG when autoscan was active, even when manually scanning a directory. Next day on restart the CFG is empty of plugins.
Never ever had these types of issues in the past and I've been installing LW since v5.
This is all on win 10 so I'm wondering if there's some overall admin / permission issue for some of us ?

Usually a fresh reinstall seems to work, but it's a bugger to spot to be honest as 98% is fine and 2% broken, and you will only notice if you need something from that 2%.
For example, initial install of 2018.06 had package scene totally missing from the menus ?

Tobian
08-28-2018, 03:36 AM
I've had this bug but not with this build, make sure to send in bug reports to the bug reporter, with steps.

adk
08-28-2018, 04:38 PM
I've had this bug but not with this build, make sure to send in bug reports to the bug reporter, with steps.

I'll try Tobian. It's not an easy thing to reproduce / get any insight into. I think it's something to do with my win 10 install to be honest. Not that it's anything unusual as far as I know.
It's only LW that displays this weird behaviour btw, nothing else seems to be affected.

Tobian
08-29-2018, 12:46 AM
Sometimes flushing your config and reinstalling or killing your virus checker (temporarily) will help. My virus checker did it the last time but I think several cleans and several reboots and it fixed itself. Was very annoying.

adk
11-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Here is what happens when I simply do a clean install on 2018.0.7
I always notice this because RenderQ is never present nor are any modelling tools in layout?
Pretty plain to see if you just toggle through the tabs...

Is this a Win10 issue of some sort as I've never had any problems in my 19+ years of LW installs?
Apart from sending in my machine I don't know how I can submit this to NT?

UPDATE ...

If I zap the configs and restart LW the menu items come back to life.
Restart LW (once hub closes) and they are gone again!

I think LW just isn't writing / saving the configs correctly for some reason ?

Extension Cache-64 file (which is temporary ) has all the plugins listed size is around 400kb
LWEXT2018.0.7-64.CFG (which is the written config file) only has my octane plugin listed and is 40kb

Hence why none of my menus / plugins seem to take?

I install all my LW versions to custom directory ....
C:\NewTek\LightWave_2018.0.7

Configs are all in the standard place as far as I know
C:\Users\Alan\.NewTek\LightWave\2018.0.7

I don't run any antiviral SW apart from the base Win10 included security stuff.

UPDATE 2 ...

Zapped the configs again, restart LW and now everything seems to work as expected

Extension Cache-64 file (which is temporary ) has just a few plugins listed, size is around 5kb
LWEXT2018.0.7-64.CFG (which is the written config file) now seems to have all plugins listed, size is 350kb

So pretty much the inverse to the previous and as expected.

Now the question to NT is why on earth do I need to do this 3 times in order for LW to install correctly ?

Tim Parsons
11-11-2018, 09:34 PM
What does that .cfg file do? I have never backed it up or have cared about it's existence. :)

adk
11-11-2018, 11:12 PM
What does that .cfg file do? I have never backed it up or have cared about it's existence. :)

CFG files are where LW writes all of the preferences as far as I know Tim, including plugin locations.
I guess it's also where menu layouts are stored, as when I wipe the directory everything goes back to original state.
I'm less familiar with the menu layout side of it, but have been mucking about with CFG files since eons ago.

Tim Parsons
11-12-2018, 06:37 AM
CFG files are where LW writes all of the preferences as far as I know Tim, including plugin locations.
I guess it's also where menu layouts are stored, as when I wipe the directory everything goes back to original state.
I'm less familiar with the menu layout side of it, but have been mucking about with CFG files since eons ago.

I'm familiar with LW.cfg and LWM.cfg and thought they set the preferences for pretty much everything except the Hub. For some reason I thought the LWEXT.cfg had something to do with the fonts and text - maybe that's my dyslexia kicking in. :)

Chrusion
11-12-2018, 12:19 PM
I thought the LWEXT.cfg had something to do with the fonts and textNope. EXT is where ALL plugins reside! None whatsoever defined in the layout and modeler configs. Those are for menu, keys, and other program prefs.

Tim Parsons
11-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Nope. EXT is where ALL plugins reside! None whatsoever defined in the layout and modeler configs. Those are for menu, keys, and other program prefs.

Good to know - thanks! I'll start backing it up as well. :)

jwiede
11-12-2018, 03:16 PM
I've had all manner of weird install behaviour happened to me on most of the 2018 versions to be honest.
Menu branches greyed out or simply missing, plugins only present in CFG when autoscan was active, even when manually scanning a directory. Next day on restart the CFG is empty of plugins.

The "missing plugins" issue has been around since sometime in the V9 cycle, and something in LW2018 significantly worsened the magnitude of symptoms (went from occasionally dropping plugins every now and then, to current recurring "whole extension list corruption". There are likely multiple bugs involved, and something introduced in LW2018 seems to have greatly increased the incidence of problems. Plugin autoscan's been misbehaving more in LW2018 than previously, so probably a good place to start instrumentation and checking.

Incidence rate appears a bit higher on Windows than Mac, but does occur with both in LW2018. Unfortunately, the incidence rate is still too random to get a "reliable repro" from customers (at least, without additional instrumentation/checks from Newtek). The impact is frequent enough (and severe enough) to be very disruptive to customers, but a reliable trigger remains elusive. Without some additional checks and instrumentation, the situation is only likely to further worsen. Just expecting customers to continually nuke and regenerate configs is NOT an acceptable workaround.

adk
11-12-2018, 07:08 PM
The "missing plugins" issue has been around since sometime in the V9 cycle, and something in LW2018 significantly worsened the magnitude of symptoms (went from occasionally dropping plugins every now and then, to current recurring "whole extension list corruption". There are likely multiple bugs involved, and something introduced in LW2018 seems to have greatly increased the incidence of problems. Plugin autoscan's been misbehaving more in LW2018 than previously, so probably a good place to start instrumentation and checking.

Incidence rate appears a bit higher on Windows than Mac, but does occur with both in LW2018. Unfortunately, the incidence rate is still too random to get a "reliable repro" from customers (at least, without additional instrumentation/checks from Newtek). The impact is frequent enough (and severe enough) to be very disruptive to customers, but a reliable trigger remains elusive. Without some additional checks and instrumentation, the situation is only likely to further worsen. Just expecting customers to continually nuke and regenerate configs is NOT an acceptable workaround.

Yeah it's a weird one jwiede, and a bugger to track down. Three tries to get a working install means something is definitely not working.
Does anyone else get these weird InfoTags in the LWEXT.CFG

pbaroque20
02-01-2019, 10:38 PM
I get the same issue with LW 2018 and 2019 on Win 10. When the files actually get written correctly I just flag the files as read-only. It can be a pain updating your configs when you get a new plugin or even just a simple color interface change and hope for the best that it'll save right. Yes, even custom interface colors get reset. Very annoying. I tested with firewall and live protection disabled and it still trips up.

adk
02-03-2019, 11:36 PM
Ok , same issue with 2019.0.1 grrrr.
Admin install, admin privileges on all the LW apps.
Uncheck auto detect plugins and scan plugin directory for both Layout and Modeller - configs get updated and are correct size (LWEXT2019.0.1-64.CFG approx 350 bytes).
Restart machine - LWEXT2019.0.1-64.CFG becomes zero bytes?

Come on NT ... someone please figure this out.
It's an ongoing issue that's got me stumped and I don't have a clue how I can help progress this at all ?
Cheers

gar26lw
02-04-2019, 12:17 AM
try having a custom config directory. I always use one.

in the shortcut for lightwave (also install to root on C so no spaces in the file path but you can have c:/program files..) :

C:\LightWave_2019.0.1\bin\Modeler.exe -cI:\LWconfigs\2019.0.1

I: in this case being your drive path or wherever you want the location. best to keep spaces out of the path too.

IN addition to this, set the double click/open flag to be

"C:\LightWave_2019.0.1\bin\Layout.exe" -cI:\LWconfigs\2019.0.1 "%1" for lws files and

"C:\LightWave_2019.0.1\bin\Modeler.exe" -cI:\LWconfigs\2019.0.1 "%1" for lwo's

same thing with config path.

this way when you open a file its always using your custom config.

much better. keeps out of the users folder.

I also place all plugins in a folder outwith of the lightwave install directory.
Same thing - in this case, C:/LightwavePlugins_x64_2019 or some such as I have an x32 and an x64 2015 set and common plugin folder for lscripts etc.

I don't get any of these issues you are getting, so this may help.

Andy Webb
02-04-2019, 02:18 AM
I have had a number of issues over 2018.

The first issues was with OD tools presets would not save. This turned out to be a windows issue, I had upgraded to the free windows 10 from windows 8.

The problem was resolved when I bought a new copy of Windows 10 and did a clean install. My missing plugin issue (start of this thread),
was resolved when I stopped using a custom directory and left my configs to save to C:/user/andy webb/.NewTek/Lightwave/201xx.

However, I just openned 2019.0.1 to check something and half my plugins have gone!!! tried 2018 and similar issue, now why all of a sudden has this happend!!! :(:(:stumped::stumped:

Andy Webb
02-04-2019, 02:57 AM
Just looked at my plugins and they are all there, it's the menus that are empty, if I delete the menus for say OD tools and restart LW,
then reload the menus for OD tools everything is ok.

I'm sure you all adapt your menus but out of interest, do you all start with the default menu or load 2018 menus or the production studio menu?

Cheers

ianr
02-04-2019, 08:58 AM
I have had a number of issues over 2018.

The first issues was with OD tools presets would not save. This turned out to be a windows issue, I had upgraded to the free windows 10 from windows 8.

The problem was resolved when I bought a new copy of Windows 10 and did a clean install. My missing plugin issue (start of this thread),
was resolved when I stopped using a custom directory and left my configs to save to C:/user/andy webb/.NewTek/Lightwave/201xx.

However, I just openned 2019.0.1 to check something and half my plugins have gone!!! tried 2018 and similar issue, now why all of a sudden has this happend!!! :(:(:stumped::stumped:

May I suggest report it collectively to Deuce @LW3dG, along with your spec, I hope its solved soon

adk
02-04-2019, 04:17 PM
try having a custom config directory. I always use one.

in the shortcut for lightwave (also install to root on C so no spaces in the file path but you can have c:/program files..) :

C:\LightWave_2019.0.1\bin\Modeler.exe -cI:\LWconfigs\2019.0.1

I: in this case being your drive path or wherever you want the location. best to keep spaces out of the path too.

IN addition to this, set the double click/open flag to be

"C:\LightWave_2019.0.1\bin\Layout.exe" -cI:\LWconfigs\2019.0.1 "%1" for lws files and

"C:\LightWave_2019.0.1\bin\Modeler.exe" -cI:\LWconfigs\2019.0.1 "%1" for lwo's

same thing with config path.

this way when you open a file its always using your custom config.

much better. keeps out of the users folder.

I also place all plugins in a folder outwith of the lightwave install directory.
Same thing - in this case, C:/LightwavePlugins_x64_2019 or some such as I have an x32 and an x64 2015 set and common plugin folder for lscripts etc.

I don't get any of these issues you are getting, so this may help.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I've been there with custom configs and use them extensively, still get the same issue. Same with external plugins - all in a separate folder so I can transport them easily between versions / builds.

The question still remains and problem persists - first install never ever works for me. A reset / restart basically blanks the configs and items are missing from the interface.
Second / third attempts usually take without doing anything more special than zapping everything in my user directory (c:/users/name/.Newtek/LightWave/2019.0.1) and repeating exactly what I did before.
Start LW, uncheck auto detect plugins, and scan plugin directory for both Layout and Modeller. I don't re-install LW.

So why does this work on second / third go rather than first ... I'd love to know.
I've only experienced this on Win10 and LW 2018 and up. Never ever had this previously on win7 with 2015 & below.

gar26lw
02-05-2019, 12:17 AM
maybe try running LW as admin?

adk
02-05-2019, 02:39 PM
maybe try running LW as admin?

Admin is exactly how I run it gar26lw ... if not then HUB doesn't activate.
I should do a vid on this when the next build comes out.

pbaroque20
02-11-2019, 11:23 AM
I took the custom config folder -c route, as suggested by gar26lw, and it seems to be working just fine. To note I have Lightwave installed on a secondary D: drive/partition and not on the system C: drive. I put the custom configs on the same secondary/partitioned drive as Lightwave.