PDA

View Full Version : White edge with alpha & not loading LW 2015 scene into LW 2018

sk810
08-23-2018, 09:34 AM
I did a particle transition animation of the pills. I rendered as PNG32 and EXR with buffers originally and brought that into BM Fusion to tweak and add motion blur. I was getting a white edge around the pills. So I tried just rendering a still from LW with motion blur just to check if that was my issue, but it does the same thing. The scene is using radiostiy with the gradient background which is what I think is causing it, but not sure how to resolve it.

My other issue is that the scene is from LW 2015 and I would like to load it into LW 2018, but when I do the particles don't work.

With alpha composited over black showing the white edge around everything.

Without alpha on original Background

Axis3d
08-23-2018, 10:06 AM
I usually render the animation out with a black background. This way they premultiply correctly when in a compositing program.

In LW 2018, go to Backdrop > Compositing Tab, and check "Use Background Color", which will default to black. Now your edges won't be anti-aliased or blurred to reveal a white background.

Axis3d
08-23-2018, 10:11 AM
I did a particle transition animation of the pills. I rendered as PNG32 and EXR with buffers originally and brought that into BM Fusion to tweak and add motion blur. I was getting a white edge around the pills. So I tried just rendering a still from LW with motion blur just to check if that was my issue, but it does the same thing. The scene is using radiostiy with the gradient background which is what I think is causing it, but not sure how to resolve it.

My other issue is that the scene is from LW 2015 and I would like to load it into LW 2018, but when I do the particles don't work.

With alpha composited over black showing the white edge around everything.

Without alpha on original Background

When you say "the particles don't work", maybe you just need to calculate the particles again - Modify > IKB Calculate.

Hopefully, your particle settings were not lost when the scene was imported into LW2018. If that was happening, then open the scene in LW2015, and save the particle FX settings to a file. Then load them back into the new particle FX when you have it open in LW2018.

sk810
08-23-2018, 12:05 PM
I usually render the animation out with a black background. This way they premultiply correctly when in a compositing program.

In LW 2018, go to Backdrop > Compositing Tab, and check "Use Background Color", which will default to black. Now your edges won't be anti-aliased or blurred to reveal a white background.

This is exactly what I needed. That fixed it:dance:. Thanks so much! I've been trying to get back into Lightwave after using it on an off for the last few years and haven't used it daily since early 2000's. There's so much to remember :D.

sk810
08-23-2018, 12:12 PM
When you say "the particles don't work", maybe you just need to calculate the particles again - Modify > IKB Calculate.

Hopefully, your particle settings were not lost when the scene was imported into LW2018. If that was happening, then open the scene in LW2015, and save the particle FX settings to a file. Then load them back into the new particle FX when you have it open in LW2018.

I did try the export PFX file and reimport into 2018. I just tried the "IKB Calculate" and it says "PFX (No calculable dynamics enabled...)" error at the bottom. The emitter is "Checked" on under it's properties FX tab. I may just be forgetting how the particles work since it's been over a year since i've used particles and this project.

sk810
08-23-2018, 10:22 PM
I ended up just adding a new emitter and manualy visually coping the settings from LW 2015 and LW 2018 and now I'm good to go.

Axis3d
08-24-2018, 09:40 AM
I ended up just adding a new emitter and manualy visually coping the settings from LW 2015 and LW 2018 and now I'm good to go.

Glad it worked out. It may have also worked if you added a new emitter and then loaded the PFX file back into the new emitter, and then hit Calculate? If that's what you described above, then never mind.

sk810
09-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Glad it worked out. It may have also worked if you added a new emitter and then loaded the PFX file back into the new emitter, and then hit Calculate? If that's what you described above, then never mind.
I tried adding a new emitter and loading the PFX and it didn't work, so I had to re-do all the particle settings manually.

It was all for nothing though, becuase once I rendered to EXR, the vector channel wouldn't render. I just went back to the 2015 project and rendered it. Seems the new buffer export doesn't work correctly for vector blur with instaces or something. I guess if the old buffer plugin was still in 2018, I could have possibly used it instead of the built in. Still, Newtek needs to fix this issue:newtek::oye:.

Axis3d
09-14-2018, 07:09 PM
I tried adding a new emitter and loading the PFX and it didn't work, so I had to re-do all the particle settings manually.

It was all for nothing though, becuase once I rendered to EXR, the vector channel wouldn't render. I just went back to the 2015 project and rendered it. Seems the new buffer export doesn't work correctly for vector blur with instaces or something. I guess if the old buffer plugin was still in 2018, I could have possibly used it instead of the built in. Still, Newtek needs to fix this issue:newtek::oye:.

Not sure if you use the OD tools plugins or not, but I think one of the plugins takes the instances objects and replaces them with the actual geometry objects. This way the motion vectors should work when rendering. Of course, if your scene has too many objects, it may be prohibitive.

jwiede
09-21-2018, 11:42 AM

Did you file a bug on the issue?

sk810
09-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Did you file a bug on the issue?
Is this where you file? https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/

sk810
09-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Is this where you file? https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/

I submitted the bug through that report page in my account.

BeeVee
09-23-2018, 07:05 AM
You can also submit bug (or Feature Request) inside LightWave - go to the Help menu and choose :)

B