PDA

View Full Version : Modifiable Pie Menu ala MODO

pming
08-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Hiya!

A pie menu like MODO. I have increased my comfort and speed in MODO two or three fold since really learning and using how to make custom pie menu's. One of the biggest hang ups for me and LW is it's bloated feature set...seems for every tool there are three others that do the same thing with only a minor difference, and each one seems to have it's own rules for use. Once I find one I like, I'd love to be able to put it into a pie menu so I don't have to go hunting or glance at the keyboard to make sure I'm hitting Ctrl + Shift + U or some other finger-bending horror. There are only so many keys and key combos my left hand can easily get to...being able to hit "Shift + E" and have my own pie menu pop up with all my "edge tools" that I like to use would be MUCH easier than memorizing (and finding/setting) six to eight actual 'hotkeys'.

Unless I'm an idiot and there is some plug-in out there that does this. Anyone?

Kryslin
08-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Origami Digital's OD Pie Menu.
http://www.origamidigital.com/odtoolsOrder.html

Video of it in action:
https://vimeo.com/207712214

RPSchmidt
08-23-2018, 07:52 AM
You could also just use the right-click menu and customize it with the tools you use most often.

I use Quickcut, Bandsaw Pro, Select Loop, Add Edges, etc. a lot, so I just added them to my right-mouse click menu. The default shortcut is kind of wonky (CTRL+SHIFT+RMOUSE) but once I started using it, it really sped up my development.

jeric_synergy
08-26-2018, 06:51 PM
It might be worth reminding users that there are THREE "ctrl+Shift+{MB}" menus, one for each mouse button, all configurable by the user.

Tim Parsons
08-29-2018, 11:34 AM
It might be worth reminding users that there are THREE "ctrl+Shift+{MB}" menus, one for each mouse button, all configurable by the user.

Yeah - I don't get it. Those have been available for years - so what, you move your mouse in an up and down motion and not circular - get a grip. I suppose it might be a tad quicker if it were circular but come on, are people really that fast at modeling to where they need to save milliseconds? :)

jeric_synergy
08-29-2018, 12:22 PM
There are probably (undoubtably) studies contrasting pies versus straight menus performance, and there's all sorts of details: I'm #aflw now, but MANY dropdowns in LW default to the last function you used. For me, that was a good choice, but for others maybe not so much. If a pie defaults to the center, 6-8 choices can be within one twitch away. So, less movement=more faster, and I'm OK with that.

In LW, many many MANY dropdowns are pointless and SEVERELY slow the user (wtf, "ACTIVATE"? So dumb.) but TMK the mouse menus aren't among them. If I'd ever remember to actually use them, they'd probably be for things that I can't memorize the hotkey for. (Interface designers? If there's only 2 choices, don't use a g.d. menu. jfc.)

In the greater scheme of things, pie menus are the gateway to gestural interfaces. They may also be better for stylus (vs mouse) use.

My comment was just a reminder that we DO have a native solution that's similar. Not to take anything away from OD Tools, they are awesome.

Tim Parsons
08-29-2018, 12:34 PM
My comment was just a reminder that we DO have a native solution that's similar.

Yes - exactly. But we do need options for pie menus and other more modern interface conventions.

jeric_synergy
08-29-2018, 12:46 PM
I'd be more excited about in-situ value editing. That'd get us up to 1990.

Tim Parsons
08-29-2018, 01:13 PM
I had to Google that one! :)

jeric_synergy
08-29-2018, 02:15 PM
To be fair, for no good reason, there is SOME in-situ editing. But anywhere an input dialog pops up where you can already SEE the value is archaic.

On a psychological, UI/UX level, it divorces the displayed value from the parameter itself. A fine point perhaps, but IMO, one worth eradicating.

gar26lw
08-29-2018, 11:49 PM
how about undo ? I see that comment trolled up about LW in many places that any new release is talked about.

RPSchmidt
08-30-2018, 07:15 AM
Yes - exactly. But we do need options for pie menus and other more modern interface conventions.

I definitely agree that the UI desperately needs updating. Using the RMB menu has served me well mainly because I hate searching menus for the commands that I use most often.

LWDG needs to invest in a top notch UI designer to give the whole interface a much-needed overhaul and bring it up to 4k standards.

Also, they desperately need to find a way to update the software in place, rather than each update being a completely new install.

Tim Parsons
08-30-2018, 07:31 AM
LWDG needs to invest in a top notch UI designer to give the whole interface a much-needed overhaul and bring it up to 4k standards.

They have. Matt is very capable. His hands have been tied because of the way LW is built. The engineers are slowly refactoring the code so more things can be done in regards to the interface and other much needed areas of software.

Also, they desperately need to find a way to update the software in place, rather than each update being a completely new install.

Yeah that would be nice. :) But I can kind of understand it from a developers point of view, especially when resources are scarce and testing is already stretched.

RPSchmidt
08-30-2018, 09:52 AM
They have. Matt is very capable. His hands have been tied because of the way LW is built. The engineers are slowly refactoring the code so more things can be done in regards to the interface and other much needed areas of software.

Understandable. It certainly would be a massive job; but a clean, contemporary, and intuitive interface would go a long way in bringing in new users.

Yeah that would be nice. :) But I can kind of understand it from a developers point of view, especially when resources are scarce and testing is already stretched.

True. They certainly do have many other things that need work.

Greenlaw
08-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Just putting in my vote for OD Pie Menus. After I got used to having it on my personal gear, I really miss it when I'm running LW at work.

erikals
08-30-2018, 01:56 PM
related > Strokes Plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8uiUnJK8EI

tburbage
08-30-2018, 10:26 PM
Hiya!

A pie menu like MODO. I have increased my comfort and speed in MODO two or three fold since really learning and using how to make custom pie menu's. One of the biggest hang ups for me and LW is it's bloated feature set...seems for every tool there are three others that do the same thing with only a minor difference, and each one seems to have it's own rules for use. Once I find one I like, I'd love to be able to put it into a pie menu so I don't have to go hunting or glance at the keyboard to make sure I'm hitting Ctrl + Shift + U or some other finger-bending horror. There are only so many keys and key combos my left hand can easily get to...being able to hit "Shift + E" and have my own pie menu pop up with all my "edge tools" that I like to use would be MUCH easier than memorizing (and finding/setting) six to eight actual 'hotkeys'.

Unless I'm an idiot and there is some plug-in out there that does this. Anyone?

I think it would be great if users could define any number of custom interfaces and assign then to whatever they want, not just be locked into the 3 Ctrl+Shift menus. I don't care as much about whether that capability is presented as standard menus or a more sophisticated HUD, though the latter would be preferred. I think Oliver's Pie Menu looks great, but I would like a solution that works in Modeler as well.

jeric_synergy
08-31-2018, 06:55 PM
I'm not competent to understand WHY the UI toolkit they've been saddled with is so limited (look how polite I'm being): LSCommander seems to indicate that a great deal of Layout is a sort of "call and response" system, but then there are annoyingly vast bits that do not appear in LSCommander (eg, interactions within the Scene Editor, for one), which IMO was a major g.d. misstep-- EVERYTHING should go that way, then we could easily build scripts by leveraging the clues provided by LSCommander.

Modeler seems to be an entirely different animal. Development been moribund so long something has to be very wrong in the foundations of the UI code.

Tim Parsons
09-01-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm not competent to understand WHY the UI toolkit they've been saddled with is so limited (look how polite I'm being): LSCommander seems to indicate that a great deal of Layout is a sort of "call and response" system, but then there are annoyingly vast bits that do not appear in LSCommander (eg, interactions within the Scene Editor, for one), which IMO was a major g.d. misstep-- EVERYTHING should go that way, then we could easily build scripts by leveraging the clues provided by LSCommander.

Modeler seems to be an entirely different animal. Development been moribund so long something has to be very wrong in the foundations of the UI code.

The whole dual application thing and small team is a development killer.

jeric_synergy
09-01-2018, 01:46 PM
It must be a huge problem: I don't think for one minute they are just sitting on their hands down there. However, I do feel they neglected many easy fixes/LHF that would have served their customers well without consuming too many development resources.

Put another way: I question the priorities they've been working under.

Thank Buddha for the 3rd party developers.

gar26lw
09-01-2018, 08:36 PM
related > Strokes Plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8uiUnJK8EI

very good :)

your talk on the left hand only use is a good illustration of why the pie menu is handy

erikals
09-02-2018, 04:52 AM
thanks, and if you want to optimize further, learn autohotkey :)

jeric_synergy
09-02-2018, 01:51 PM
One thing you can do with autohotkey (AHK) is address certain inconveniences in the UI. My big one was : I almost always use the Menu Editor (surely there's a better way now? It's an old habit.) not so much to edit the menus, but to FIND functions. So, it's my search engine inside LW/LWM.

However, the SEARCH field (a godsend) is not automatically active when you invoke the editor. --It SHOULD be, there's literally zero downside to having it active. (Requested long ago.)-- I find this incredibly aggravating, as it is Yet Another Navigate and Click (YAN&C) that is unnecessary.

BUT, and here's the cool thing: using AHK you can set it up so that AHK automagically mouse-clicks the SEARCH field for you, thereby activating it, so when you invoke the editor it's already in SEARCH MODE.

That's the tiniest iceberg-tip of what AHK can do for you. You can basically make it into a huge macro system for ALL your programs. You can "wedge" it in between hotkeys and the program, and have it execute a series of actions. It is awesome.

Any repetitive action you find irksome should be examined to see if AHK can relieve you of that burden.

erikals
09-02-2018, 04:49 PM
You can basically make it into a huge macro system for ALL your programs.
You can "wedge" it in between hotkeys and the program, and have it execute a series of actions. It is awesome.

:dito: