PDA

View Full Version : weight shade creation

Commander_Chaos
08-22-2018, 05:17 PM
I followed the spring tutorial made for me in another thread (Thanks again Tim Parsons) but now I've come to another issue. I don't understand how to make a gradated weight map on existing polys. I want to make a weight map that gradates along the length of the rather odd form I've created. Feel free to direct me toward an exiting tutorial. Below is a frame from the tutorial Tim made and then a shot of the brake caliper spring I'm working on.

Kryslin
08-22-2018, 06:49 PM
You could do it with blur weights. Set a few loops to 100%, set the balance to 0%, and blur it until the weights are blurred across the entire object. Might take a few tries to get right. There is also a script called "Weight Outwards" (I don't have a link handy) that should to the job, too.

MonroePoteet
08-22-2018, 11:00 PM
If the brake caliper spring was created with Rail Extrude (as it appears), you might reconstruct it but specify the Make UVs on the Rail Extrude panel. Note that to use Make UVs you need to already have a Texture Map created / selected in the lower right selector:

Then, use UV to Weights to convert to the gradated weight map:

142558 UV to Weight Map

142559 Result

If you don't have the original rail / curve used to create the spring, you could recreated it by selecting two adjacent edges along a longitudinal edge at one end (i.e. down the length), use right-arrow to extend the selection down the length, copy-n-paste to a new layer, center the curve on the spring, and use Rail Extrude with a foreground polygon to extrude with Make UVs as above.

mTp

P.S. there's an old plugin you can search for called UV Creeper, but it keeps vanishing from the author's website (pictrix.jp), and may not have been intended for general distribution. There's a thread with several versions of it, erikals made a tutorial on it (of COURSE erikals made a tutorial on it! :) :) ) and it's a little trickier to use than the Rail Extrude with Make UVs.

jeric_synergy
08-23-2018, 12:21 AM
Yeah, that workflow of "you must have a UV map ALREADY created" is moronic.

Add it to the list of dumbassery that needs to be addressed. "Someday".

For the OP: in the plugin database search on "Ken Nign"- he graciously created several scripts that do all sorts of useful weight map related functions, as Monroe Poteet pointed out above. For sanity preservation they are a must-have, and they are free. :bowdown:

MonroePoteet
08-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Well, if you press the greyed-out Make UVs options in the Rail Extrude panel, it gives you a nice little message saying they're only valid if a UVMap is selected. I didn't find it overly cumbersome to cancel the Rail Extrude, press the "T" button in the lower right corner, select <new>, type in a name (that I'd have to do even if the Rail Extrude panel accepted it directly), and re-invoke the Rail Extrude (I just timed it all at about 11 seconds, most of which was typing in the name). Calling LWDG "moronic" and the very slight inconvience "dumbassery" seems excessive to me.

And I certainly wish you wouldn't convert my attempts to help other LW users into attacks on LWDG. If you really think it's so important that it needs to be "fixed" (I don't), then submit a feature request, it'll be added to the list, and they may implement it at some point. LWDG *may* have one or two other things they're working on with higher priority though!

Thanks,
mTp

Tim Parsons
08-23-2018, 07:47 PM
P.S. there's an old plugin you can search for called UV Creeper, but it keeps vanishing from the author's website (pictrix.jp), and may not have been intended for general distribution. There's a thread with several versions of it, erikals made a tutorial on it (of COURSE erikals made a tutorial on it! :) :) ) and it's a little trickier to use than the Rail Extrude with Make UVs.

Dodgy posted it here: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152824-UV-Creeper-is-gone-can-someone-post -- I use it all the time.

jeric_synergy
08-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Monroe, I probably made that request twenty years ago, and regularly since then, because I feel it's Yet Another Dumb Speedbump in the LW workflow.

Perhaps you weren't around when they added "<Load Image>" to the Image name dropdown, or (#aflw) "New Morph/Map" or whatever it is to that menu, but those TINY changes made a big difference in MY experience, because it removed a silly speedbump that took me out of creation mode. Why they didn't extend that practice to everything where a user might run into a "hey, that doesn't exist yet" or "perhaps you'd like to load something else rather than STOP and call up that editor" situation, is a mystery to me.

raw-m
08-24-2018, 12:08 AM
Weight Outwards will do this, great script:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/weight-outward/

jeric_synergy
08-28-2018, 07:38 PM
Weight Outwards will do this, great script:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/weight-outward/

Doubled to underline that EVERY Ken Nign script is worthwhile, especially the weight map related ones. For weighting arbitrary, convoluted geometry, like an octopus in a seizure, they are priceless.*

(* "invaluable" just seems wrong.)

jwiede
09-01-2018, 09:35 PM
For weighting arbitrary, convoluted geometry, like an octopus in a seizure, they are priceless.*

(* "invaluable" just seems wrong.)

Appraising lots of seizure-impaired octopi lately, eh? :devil:

jeric_synergy
09-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Hentai contract.

(I wish.)