PDA

View Full Version : Object dissolve

Mats Andersen
08-20-2018, 03:16 AM
Hi

I am trying to dissolve and object pr Y axis.. Is there a way to go about this?

I have a plane with refraction applied to it. But I want the refraction index to drop off from starting at 1.5 at 0 metres until 1.0 at 10 metres.
I did not find a way using nodes to make this work.
So I was thinking just make the howl object vanish towards the top.

Strange that the object dissolve only have time and distance as inputs? and not a texture editor?

hoping for some epic tips from the masters:-)

best regards
Mats

Sensei
08-20-2018, 05:08 AM
Are you using LW 2018 or LW 2015.x?

In LW 2018 there is Clip input in Node Editor.

I used Gradient to clip part of object, basing on Y distance.

It could be set up as follows: Spot Info > World Position and Item Info (e.g. animated Null) > World Position, both to Math > Vector > Distance, then to Gradient input, if you want to have clipping based on position of spot.
Move Null item, and object disappears (but instantly, without smoothly fading away).

Mats Andersen
08-20-2018, 05:44 AM
Are you using LW 2018 or LW 2015.x?

In LW 2018 there is Clip input in Node Editor.

I used Gradient to clip part of object, basing on Y distance.

It could be set up as follows: Spot Info > World Position and Item Info (e.g. animated Null) > World Position, both to Math > Vector > Distance, then to Gradient input, if you want to have clipping based on position of spot.
Move Null item, and object disappears (but instantly, without smoothly fading away).

Thanks! clip just gets a cut edge and not a smooth gradient right? I need a smooth gradient.... im using 2018. I think it was possible with gradient in pre 18 LW?

Mats

Sensei
08-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Thanks! clip just gets a cut edge and not a smooth gradient right? I need a smooth gradient.... im using 2018. I think it was possible with gradient in pre 18 LW?

Take Material Mixer, 1st input BSDF material or whatever material,
2nd input Standard Material, set everything 0%, Transparency 100%, Refraction Index 1.0. Basically invisible material.
Then use output from Gradient as Alpha for mixing.
Mix it with Clipping technique that I showed, so it'll work faster (clipping is always very fast, at least it should )..

MonroePoteet
08-20-2018, 09:32 AM
You could use a Gradient node as input to the Refraction Index of the Principled BSDF Material:

Sample scene / object attached. The 100% transparent surface has a blue border to delimit it, and has a Gradient from 400% Alpha (Refraction of 4.0) down to 100% Alpha in the Y Coordinate 0.0 to 10.0 range. I used 400% to make the reducing refraction really obvious.

If you only want the object to be transparent from top to bottom without variable refraction index, you can just use the Alpha output of the Gradient into the Transparency channel with the Refraction Index set to 1.0 and appropriate Transmittance Distance to avoid a refraction "smudge" when it's 100% transparent.

mTp

Mats Andersen
08-21-2018, 02:08 AM
Coool! thanks guys I will check it!
Mats