PDA

View Full Version : Motion Blur 2018

vncnt
08-19-2018, 03:38 AM
Running LW2018.0.6 with a Perspective Camera, some Cubes (Primitive Type = Shape/Cube) with Principled BSDF materials.
Blur Length = 50%, Shutter Open = 0%, Shutter Efficiency = 100%, Rolling Shutter = 0%.

Is Motion Blur supposed to blur the Background Image?
The Subframes value doesn't seem to have any influence on the result. Am I missing something?

MonroePoteet
08-19-2018, 07:28 AM
I don't think Motion Blur has ever blurred the background image. My brief tests on LW 11.6.3 and LW 2015.3 do not blur the background image. LW has no data as to how far the background is from the camera (1mm? 100m? 1,000,000m?), so bluring it would be essentially a guess.

You can map the background image to a plane, put the plane at the distance from the camera you consider appropriate, and Motion Blur should blur the image / plane. Of course, the plane will have to be sized correctly so that the edges don't show as the Camera moves.

mTp

vncnt
08-20-2018, 12:11 AM
I thought so. Looks like a 2018 issue then.
I'll prepare a report.

lardbros
08-20-2018, 05:37 AM
What background image are you using?

If it's an HDR in 'Textured Environment' then it DOES motion blur here.
If it's a 'Gradient Backdrop' it blurs here too.

If you're using the 'Compositing Options' Background image, then it definitely won't do motion blur, as the backdrop isn't moving when you move the camera!

vncnt
08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
It's a Background Image.
I think it should not blur.

Tobian
08-21-2018, 09:21 AM
the BG will blur if you use DOF, but it won't blur with motion blur because there's no motion for a background compositing plate.

vncnt
08-21-2018, 10:44 AM
DOF was not enabled, and the Camera moved.
And there was motionblur applied to the BGImage.

Nobody else with this problem?

MonroePoteet
08-21-2018, 04:14 PM
No, I'm not seeing Motion Blur applied to the Backdrop Image under LW2018.0.6, even when the Camera is moving over 30 meters *per frame*.

Camera panel showing Motion Blur enabled, same settings as original post

142548 Camera and Compositing panels, showing Backdrop Image and Motion Blur enabled

142547 Resulting render

Perhaps the resolution of the image you're using for the Backdrop is much too small for the final render size and Mipmap / Pixel Blending are making it *look* blurred? Otherwise, I don't know.

mTp

MSherak
08-22-2018, 11:26 AM
No, I'm not seeing Motion Blur applied to the Backdrop Image under LW2018.0.6, even when the Camera is moving over 30 meters *per frame*.

Camera panel showing Motion Blur enabled, same settings as original post

142548 Camera and Compositing panels, showing Backdrop Image and Motion Blur enabled

142547 Resulting render

Perhaps the resolution of the image you're using for the Backdrop is much too small for the final render size and Mipmap / Pixel Blending are making it *look* blurred? Otherwise, I don't know.

mTp

An image placed in the Background Image input of the Composting tab in the Effects panel is a camera background projection. Therefore the image will not blur with motion blur or DOF since it is stuck to the camera. If the image is placed in the Backdrop tab of the Effects panel using Textured Environment plugin. Then it will be affected by motion blur and DOF since the projection is stuck to the environment and not the camera.