PDA

View Full Version : Baking Animation Question

dalecampbelljr
08-14-2018, 05:17 PM
Lightwave 3D 2018.0.6
Sorry, but I have never done this, so I wanted to start here....
I have a scene with timeline animation, motion mixer animation and lipsync from Papagayo
how do I bake everything and in what order?

I tried baking the Motion Mixer animation first, but that deleted my timeline animation? Any help would be appreciated.

Greenlaw
08-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Here are some ideas but, first, what's the purpose of your baking?

Typically, 'baking' is done as a point cache, like MDD. The purpose it to ensure accurate rendering on a farm or if you intend to move the animation to other programs. In some cases, this can also speed things up by removing heavy calculations. If that's your situation, use MD Multi-Baker.

If you're baking keyframes, it can get a little more complicated if the keyframes are tucked away all over the place (i.e., not just items but envelopes.) If it's a very complex scene, baking every keyframe might possibly bog down your system too. That said, there are reasons to do this but just be sure it's what you really need.

Anyway, natively, you can bake keys using MotionBaker in the Motion Panel, and/or Bake Selected Curves in Graph Editor. There are some third-party plugins too--I used one by Mental Fish a few years ago, but I'm not sure it still works. Maybe other users here can confirm or suggest another.

You can also export to FBX and enable Bake Motion Envelopes, and then re-import the scene. I think FBX will bake the most commonly animated parts, but you might lose surfacing info, so when you re-import you'll want to use Merge Only Motion Envelopes to transfer the baked keyframes to an existing (i.e., fully shaded) scene.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure other users here can share more techniques I haven't thought of or am not aware of.

Hope this helps.