PDA

View Full Version : Arrgggg..... this is getting old.

Tim Parsons
08-14-2018, 09:08 AM
LW2018 is great, especially the renderer - BUT- this huge delay when you check an e-mail, surf for a second or whatever and come back to Modeler (or even Layout sometimes) is a killer! There is something wrong! It has to be Hub related because if I run either Layout or Modeler separately without the other it works just fine. I tried not running the Hub and that was a pain too. :)

Kryslin
08-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Need more information...
Operating system, Antivirus, other software running in background...

Things to check - Microsoft's W10 NIC drivers tend to cause lag issues. You may want to update them with a set of drivers from the chipset's manufacturer. (Lag issues will be present elsewhere if this is the case.) Likewise, update video drivers as well.
Run a latency check on your workstation. There's a free app out there for it. It will, at least, let you know if any processes are taking a lot of time.

Tim Parsons
08-14-2018, 11:09 AM
Thanks Kryslin. It's a corporate PC - I pretty much can't do anything with it. :) We are getting new ones in a month or so, so we will see then. My counterpart has a similar PC setup and has had no issues with the delay. For me it's an off and on thing - sometimes it's just fine. Very annoying.

vncnt
08-14-2018, 11:21 AM
Can you compare available memory? Is it swapping between ram and disk?

Tim Parsons
08-14-2018, 11:33 AM
Can you compare available memory? Is it swapping between ram and disk?

We aren't talking about a huge scene or model. :)

PC Specs:

Xeon W3680 @3.33 Ghz
24GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Win7

gar26lw
08-14-2018, 12:16 PM
if you are getting a problem in that scene there is definitely something up

emilc
08-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Do you by any chance have a modal window open in modeler when it's happening? like a complaint that it can't find certain objects/images?

I had extreme delay when switching from Affinity Photo (or browser/anything) to layout of 20-40 seconds before I could use layout. Jumped between the programs a bunch of times with that delay. I got quite annoyed =)

Switched to modeler by chance and saw that it couldn't find an image, closed that window and the delay was instantly gone.

Tim Parsons
08-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Do you by any chance have a modal window open in modeler when it's happening? like a complaint that it can't find certain objects/images?

I had extreme delay when switching from Affinity Photo (or browser/anything) to layout of 20-40 seconds before I could use layout. Jumped between the programs a bunch of times with that delay. I got quite annoyed =)

Switched to modeler by chance and saw that it couldn't find an image, closed that window and the delay was instantly gone.

I am aware of that issue and have had that happen to me on several occasions. But that brings up another point - why are they not syncing up. Many times in Layout I have made changes to a surface, whether it be just normal channel settings or adding an image, saved the object and gone back to Modeler only to loose those settings and the dialog box is up asking for the new image. What's up with that? Content directories are both pointed to the same place so I don't get it. Never had that issue with 11 and 2015.

Tim Parsons
08-16-2018, 02:00 PM
I wonder if there is some evidence here that things can get screwed up with the Hub.

Hub won't shut down because it says Modeler is running. But wait - Modeler is not running!

But wait - my task manager says it is! But where is it? :)

This can't be good! :)

Jarno
08-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Indeed. Do make sure the Hub has picked up the correct and matching version of both Modeler and Layout. Otherwise communications may fail due to differences in protocols and data formats.

---JvdL---

Tim Parsons
08-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Thanks Jarno, I'll keep an eye on it. BTW great job on the shading system in 2018!