PDA

View Full Version : William Vaughan and old Lightwave tutorials Updates on his youtube site

prometheus
08-13-2018, 11:52 AM
It seems William Vaughan has started to fill his youtube account with older Lightwave tutorials, that may have been located elsewhere...so it may be easier to find his stuff.
Still a Goldmine and many tutorials are valid still.. with some few exceptions, check it here...

https://www.youtube.com/user/TofuTheVeganZombie/videos

TheLexx
08-13-2018, 12:15 PM
That's great, thanks. It's a pity the circumstances William left these forums, when he was being infectiously enthisastic about Modo, but it was during the silence between LW releases, so seemed a bit stark at the time and made people (inc. me) a bit nervous. His Topology Workbook (https://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Points-Topology-Workbook-01/dp/1987728610/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534183772&sr=8-1&keywords=william+vaughan+topology) is applicable to Lightwave, and his Vaughan In 60 Seconds just hit 500 tutorials. Whatever he's drinking, I want some. :)

erikals
08-13-2018, 12:55 PM
he uploaded 210 LW videos in one day, not bad...   :)

TheLexx
08-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Does anyone know how many LW ones he did in total ?

prometheus
08-13-2018, 01:37 PM

William:D

- - - Updated - - -

he uploaded 210 LW videos in one day, not bad...   :)

Indeed, a great effort.

erikals
08-13-2018, 02:30 PM
around 270 i think

https://i.imgur.com/w7295Cw.gif

TheLexx
08-13-2018, 02:57 PM
And maybe that's how The Walking Dead finally ends - the zombies all turn vegan.... :D

erikals
08-13-2018, 03:43 PM
all for it  :)  that show needs a new recipe these days.

hrgiger
08-13-2018, 03:56 PM
He just did his 500th for Modo.
And by the way, the last time William posted here, he was posting one of his tutorials on how to make the Modo item list work like LW layers in modeler for those that wanted something familiar. He was turned off by some of the responses and pretty much hasn't looked back.

erikals
08-13-2018, 04:45 PM
if LightWave was better than Modo in many areas, would i advertise it on the Modo forums? Probably not.

Modo / LightWave are too similar for the competition (NewTek/users) to accept it.
Blender is heading the same route, it won't be long before NewTek strikes harder down on the B word here. (actually, they already started)

but yeah, that thread could have been more professional.

if your hot girlfriend starts to dance with your brother, beware of consequence.

TheLexx
08-13-2018, 04:53 PM
I thought it was more a case of dancing with your brother while the hot girlfriend was looking on ...... or something like that. :D

erikals
08-13-2018, 05:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/egiqJuD.png

it can't possibly work...

...or...

hrgiger
08-13-2018, 05:51 PM
if LightWave was better than Modo in many areas, would i advertise it on the Modo forums? Probably not.

Well that's not what he did. If you look at PixelFondue and do a search, you'll see William has several videos and resource files for LightWave(I have a few on there as well). And when he has made one, he has shared it with LightWave users(or asked me to share it since he's not on the LW facebook groups like I am). His video on the Modo item list was intended for people who use both Modo and LW.

Oldcode
08-13-2018, 06:04 PM
Nice! Thanks for letting us know. I've learned a lot from him. :D

erikals
08-13-2018, 06:15 PM
the "law" of what will be accepted will always be relative.
some will say it went too far, others will say, not even close.

if a discussion goes nowhere, people will have to agree to disagree, or keep on disagreeing 4ever.

note though,
in that last thread, i was actually the thread starter, speaking warmly about Polystein Kit - (modo)
(should've posted that thread under Feature Requests, but alas)

and adding, i'm All for Feature Requests, even if it is a Modo Feature.

TheLexx
08-13-2018, 06:29 PM
His video on the Modo item list was intended for people who use both Modo and LW.I think it was just a case of unfortunate timing, since there was no Lightwave (known to be forthcoming at the time). Not Proton's fault, but the unintentional subtext became "Well since there's no Lightwave, come over to Modo". Tense time with all sorts of colourful threads flying around. But the purpose of this thread is pretty much to appreciate what Proton has just done for Lightwave users on Youtube, which shows great character on his part in the aftermath. :)

Link to Lightwave on Pixelfondue (https://www.pixelfondue.com/search?q=lightwave).
Darn it, a link to Pixelfondue homepage (https://www.pixelfondue.com/).
So any and all potential arguments settled I hope.

:)

gar26lw
08-13-2018, 09:58 PM
https://i.imgur.com/egiqJuD.png

it can't possibly work...

...or...

lw and modo together. works well

Wickedpup
08-14-2018, 02:01 AM
He just did his 500th for Modo.
And by the way, the last time William posted here, he was posting one of his tutorials on how to make the Modo item list work like LW layers in modeler for those that wanted something familiar. He was turned off by some of the responses and pretty much hasn't looked back.
Yeah, even a generous guy like William has his limits and labelling him some sort of traitor/backstabber was way out of line....

TheLexx
08-14-2018, 02:37 AM
Yeah, even a generous guy like William has his limits and labelling him some sort of traitor/backstabber was way out of line....

But did anyone say that ? Is this going from the original post to a license to beat LW a 2nd time round....or is it the 57th time round, I lost count ?

gar26lw
08-14-2018, 02:40 AM
Well that's not what he did. If you look at PixelFondue and do a search, you'll see William has several videos and resource files for LightWave(I have a few on there as well). And when he has made one, he has shared it with LightWave users(or asked me to share it since he's not on the LW facebook groups like I am). His video on the Modo item list was intended for people who use both Modo and LW.

got a link to that, would be very handy. yeah, people use both. makes sense, right :)

Edit : Found it, thanks

MonroePoteet
08-14-2018, 07:48 AM
A lot of William Vaughan's old videos (among others) are still out on Newtek's FTP site:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/

The LW9 folder, specifically:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/

mTp

ianr
08-14-2018, 09:02 AM

Well said, He did not deserve such stupid darkflameboy treatment.

His voice is so smooth & professional on his tutes.

Where is his needed 2nd Gen replacement now?

Where are all the plethora of Tutes that should

have been actioneered by now (6 months since release)?

The owners should look at this at NewTek Towers?

TheLexx
08-14-2018, 11:09 AM
I think new training is an excellent point to bring up. For a second let's forget all about "the industry" or freelancers or hobbyists and just consider any new person thinking "Hey, this Lightwave thing looks good. Where do I find out more or get get trained with it ?".

The options are much less now than they used to be. Previously it was Dan Ablan, Splinegod, Albee, Todd Grimes and a ton of other LW heroes. A new user would first have to navigate all the history and think "Is it in print, is it not in print ?". One good thing is that old LW resources can be had on Amazon for next to nothing and still contain much good info, but the render engine is now fundamentally different, which changes a lot of things at a stroke. The last time I looked, Lightwave Paid Tutorials contains just a single title - Lino's Rigging Revealed.

One thing Modo has is a stack of training content by Andy Brown bundled with the software, and Foundry had a really good range of Paid Tutorials which have now just been given away completely free to existing subscribers (leaving only the monstrous 60 hr rigging masterclass a paid item). I am certainly not advocating LW goes subscription, and an increasing number of Modo users are extremely p!$$ed off at the end of the old Modo model (and looking at alternatives), but the fact is that any new user coming into Modo will absolutely be able to get into Modo fairly quickly.

There is no Inside Lightwave 2018 book, no Character Creation course, no Introduction to Lightwave video course, and you have to now be online just to read the docs. And Proton willingly walked the plank apparently happy to leave ship, leaving us with just cane marks to show each of our sorry selves..... :cry::cry:

But in my view a climate of berating NT is not a way forward. Indeed, look at Proton's own manner for a clue - hypothetically, if he was unhappy with NT one would never particularly know it. That holistic quality is the best way. The optimist. So it is by no means all doom and gloom. I have some ideas about how the training could possibly be improved reasonably quickly (bit presumptuous I know !), but defer to others to give their views too.

erikals
08-14-2018, 12:09 PM
The last time I looked, LightWave Paid Tutorials contains just a single title...
many more here >

Commercial LightWave Training
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155723

erikals
08-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Introduction to Lightwave

Introduction, several free ones >
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Introduction+to+Lightwave

navigate Modeler >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lGR7Fp7OvU

navigate Layout >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNy62ILf_9E

Wickedpup
08-14-2018, 01:15 PM
But did anyone say that ? Is this going from the original post to a license to beat LW a 2nd time round....or is it the 57th time round, I lost count ?

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152682-Pushing-Points-Polystein-Kit-(modo)/page2&highlight=Kevin+Durant

See post #26

Tim Parsons
08-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Hey I was just going through some of these videos and found one on Vizier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeI0M11VRMM
Did anybody ever use that?

SBowie
08-14-2018, 04:30 PM
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152682-Pushing-Points-Polystein-Kit-(modo)/page2&highlight=Kevin+Durant

See post #26That interpretation was a stretch when it came up well over a year ago. Almost everything the poster said was flattering, not negative. Let's not dredge it up again now.

OnlineRender
08-14-2018, 05:14 PM
hindsight bias, truly is a wonderful thing.

I want to thank William, not because I run LightWiki, not even because I am LW fanboy or is it Facebook God?... I prefer the latter for future reference, however as an artists I want to thank him.
not all heroes wear capes and personally for me Williams easily in the top 10 of people who one should aspire to be like, if you have 10% of his skillset you will do well in this industry, he really is a gentleman, scholar and outstanding artists "in any application".

I to want thank him for taking probably the full day to sit and upload over 200+ tutorials, I want thank him for teaching users around the world and sharing his knowledge, I want to thank him for being an inspiration.

now I must bid you all farewell I have a community to support and a database (+200) of tutorials to organize and write, it's only 00:15 after all.

goodnight #facebookgod
https://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=142507&d=1534288443

JohnMarchant
08-14-2018, 05:33 PM
William and Larry Shultz, the 2 guys above all else that set me on my path to using LW, i can never thank them enough. Wherever you are Larry i hope your still rendering.

shrox
08-14-2018, 05:58 PM
William and Larry Shultz, the 2 guys above all else that set me on my path to using LW, i can never thank them enough. Wherever you are Larry i hope your still rendering.

I was just thinking about Larry today.

JohnMarchant
08-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Funny Doug i was thinking about a tutorial he shared long ago as a way to sort something else out today. I have all his and indeed Williams tutorials backup for safe keeping. Always like to look back and see how others tackled something.

SBowie
08-14-2018, 06:44 PM
In a bizarre sort of way, I owe my career to a single tip in a LW tute done by Lee Stranahan ...

Wickedpup
08-15-2018, 01:22 AM
That interpretation was a stretch when it came up well over a year ago. Almost everything the poster said was flattering, not negative. Let's not dredge it up again now.
Just google Kevin Durant and backstabber and see what comes up....clearly a lot of peoples perception of him back when he moved to GSW (not mine) so when someone draws that comparison.....nuff said. Samurai-x's response in that thread just proves the point

JohnMarchant
08-15-2018, 03:09 AM
In a bizarre sort of way, I owe my career to a single tip in a LW tute done by Lee Stranahan ...

Wow not heard from Lee in years. I dont think he does 3d anymore.

Dexter2999
08-15-2018, 04:29 PM
Wow not heard from Lee in years. I dont think he does 3d anymore.

Last time I remember anything from Lee Stranahan was over 10 years ago. He was trying to get a LW based version of THE THUNDERBIRDS going if I remember correctly. I don't think it gained traction.

TheLexx
08-15-2018, 04:59 PM
I looked Lee Stranahan up in the past as I had heard his name and I think he morphed into some sort of political journalist, but never did find any of his LW content. The Thunderbirds project sounds interesting. Made me think of something. The puppet shows tended to reinvent themselves with cgi rigged characters, but can anyone think of any example where cgi was used to simulate Thunderbirds-style string puppets (pehaps to save the hassle of building them) ? How might a "string rig" look ?

JohnMarchant
08-15-2018, 05:11 PM
I heard Lee was now a journalist or something to do with media anyway. I think i remember a desktop images video of LW that he presented, if memory serves me, which sometimes it does not.

OnlineRender
08-15-2018, 05:24 PM
his material was mainly on VHS, his brother still uses LW as for Lee he's adventured into other areas " mainly political editor "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChzZSX3I_PA

LOOK Digital Puppets | Ep 19 | LIVE | How to build a 3D puppet with Adobe Character Animator PART 1
Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXRHcNbdydk

as for a puppet rig http://digitalpuppets.co.uk/tag/lightwave-3d

or do stepped animation then attach bullet dynimacs to it

rig to download to play with https://www.dropbox.com/s/jh7391ptrob1g6r/dan_rigp.zip?dl=0

the real trick is playing with the frame rates in comp

ADMIN: can you make it more than 1 video embed
You have included a total of 2 videos in your message. The maximum number that you may include is 1. Please correct the problem and then continue again.

does my NUT IN!

tyrot
08-15-2018, 06:46 PM
Thanks proton .. and come back :(

gjjackson
08-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Stranahan was at Breitbart for awhile and is now at Sputnik from what I can tell. He was decent during the VT days and shortly thereafter. BUT,, as with others he made promises and took money and never delivered, And, then dropped off the radar, never to be heard from again. I found him once and he started to payback the money and after only two small payments he again went silent.

I've been burned too many times like this so my preference would be for Newtek to hire a person to do training and could charge for it. If it's to be typical videos they could charge a fee per each or a set or a complete package. It would have to include some advanced concepts as too many are so basic to make them useless. Around 15 or more years ago I started with Blender, and didn't much care for the UI, but picked up enough that going to LW wasn't all too difficult to figure out. Advanced concepts are more necessary these days and the so-called advanced videos I've seen are a joke. Surely, Newtek could work something out.

gar26lw
08-17-2018, 06:47 AM
what are the kind of tutorials people would like to see ? by that I mean, what are the top 3 ones you would actually use to aid productions and get something from. Not, "oh it would be cool if" and then never use em.

ianr
08-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Stranahan was at Breitbart for awhile and is now at Sputnik from what I can tell. He was decent during the VT days and shortly thereafter. BUT,, as with others he made promises and took money and never delivered, And, then dropped off the radar, never to be heard from again. I found him once and he started to payback the money and after only two small payments he again went silent.

I've been burned too many times like this so my preference would be for Newtek to hire a person to do training and could charge for it. If it's to be typical videos they could charge a fee per each or a set or a complete package. It would have to include some advanced concepts as too many are so basic to make them useless. Around 15 or more years ago I started with Blender, and didn't much care for the UI, but picked up enough that going to LW wasn't all too difficult to figure out. Advanced concepts are more necessary these days and the so-called advanced videos I've seen are a joke. Surely, Newtek could work something out.

Very well put. Slack, lack-lustre vids don't cut it these days. Look at Unreal's take on stuff etc

What NewTek SHOULD DO is commission, aspirant & emulatory productions like the stuff I see elsewhere.

They should remember the kindess of Ron's team on B5 when you saw it on the T.V. & the meshes came
available so Wavers could do exactly the same stuff as the Telly, hell that impressed the heck out of people.

Where are the Tuts for Batman Ninja ? Has anybody asked them?

jeric_synergy
08-17-2018, 09:40 AM
I heard Lee was now a journalist or something to do with media anyway.
Yeah, "journalist". :devil::devil::devil: /not

jeric_synergy
08-17-2018, 09:42 AM
I think a very small investment by LWG could finance a regular tutorial program. However, they don't seem interested in making that investment, and folk who are competent to produce content can usually make more money by actually working in the industry.

Qexit
08-17-2018, 10:05 AM
They should remember the kindess of Ron's team on B5 when you saw it on the T.V. & the meshes came
available so Wavers could do exactly the same stuff as the Telly, hell that impressed the heck out of people.
Foundation Imaging never released the original models from Babylon 5 for people to use. They did make it very clear that they had been built using software and on hardware that anyone could afford to buy and use but the models weren't theirs to release. You might be thinking of the LW tutorials created by Mojo to let people recreate some of the effects. This ancient thread mentions the tutorials topic:

https://forums.newtek.com/archive/index.php/t-145312.html

jeric_synergy
08-17-2018, 10:23 AM
I once knew a guy who was hired to replicate the ships/station for the/an OFFICIAL B-5 game: if you can't get the assets for the official game, it seems unlikely they'd be released "into the wild".

(He did a fantastic job.)

gjjackson
08-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Very well put. Slack, lack-lustre vids don't cut it these days. Look at Unreal's take on stuff etc

What NewTek SHOULD DO is commission, aspirant & emulatory productions like the stuff I see elsewhere.

Where are the Tuts for Batman Ninja ? Has anybody asked them?

Many years ago I suggested how a good instructional video would be preferable. It would be project based, but the majority turned out to be such simplistic projects they were rendered worthless.
It wouldn't be a project as Dan Ablan last. That looked like something which could have been done in v6.
The only other option I could imagine is thorough videos on each function within LW. Those which are quite basic are probably already available.
Others which involve multiple tools would be covered in depth.
Video CoPilot sells some affordable plugins and his videos are quite instructive and explanatory. His are so well done probably because he creates them.

gar26lw
08-18-2018, 12:01 AM
maybe they could make a series of vids where they do the equivalent of a vid done elsewhere.

like this -

modo version:

https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/modo-creating-photorealistic-beverage-ad-2512

lightwave version:

https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/lightwave-3d-creating-photorealistic-beverage-ad-2518

that would show that lightwave is as capable compared to other apps. It might also aid to highlight it's weaknesses to dev's as they create them, so as to improve the product.

here is a free one if you want to give this stuff a go:

https://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/1828-learn-to-create-and-light-product-shots-in-lightwave-photoshop-by-eugenio-garcia-villarreal-rendering-battery-lighting-advertising-graphics

Creating a page on the lightwave3d website that links to as many of these tutorials as possible would be good. Users could rate the tutorials out of 5 stars and give comments. That would help too.

JohnMarchant
08-18-2018, 04:56 AM
Yeah, "journalist". :devil::devil::devil: /not

You obviously know more than i do.

hrgiger
08-18-2018, 05:48 AM
maybe they could make a series of vids where they do the equivalent of a vid done elsewhere.

like this -

modo version:

https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/modo-creating-photorealistic-beverage-ad-2512

lightwave version:

https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/lightwave-3d-creating-photorealistic-beverage-ad-2518

that would show that lightwave is as capable compared to other apps. It might also aid to highlight it's weaknesses to dev's as they create them, so as to improve the product.

here is a free one if you want to give this stuff a go:

https://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/1828-learn-to-create-and-light-product-shots-in-lightwave-photoshop-by-eugenio-garcia-villarreal-rendering-battery-lighting-advertising-graphics

Creating a page on the lightwave3d website that links to as many of these tutorials as possible would be good. Users could rate the tutorials out of 5 stars and give comments. That would help too.

Can I offer a word of advice and I don't want it taken the wrong way but the one thing I learned long ago is that its largely useless to sit around wishing or thinking what NT should do. I spent a lot of years wishing or suggesting NT improve modeler and you can clearly see the results of that. Now they may improve it in coming releases but that doesn't help me now(and even then, it would take years for them to bring modeler up to the usability of Modo or Blender, C4D, etc...). So I picked up something else that covered my needs. I guess what I'm saying is that if people want better training for LightWave or they want to have videos out there that will show either the weaknesses of LightWave or what LightWave is capable of, it's kind of up to the users to do that. This is what Pixel Fondue did and Foundry is very lucky to have them in their corner. And while Pixel Fondue has a large Modo bias, obviously because it stemmed from a group of Modo users, they offer training for other software as well LightWave included. So if people want this kind of thing for LightWave, its time for users to organize such a resource. Steven Scott has been doing this to a degree, he's been doing the LW highlights and making tutorials himself and obviously Oliver Hotz has been making a huge contribution to LightWave resources in the form of his OD toolkit among other things, he's been showing people that if you want things in Lightwave that NT has not provided, its pretty much up to you to learn some simple scripting and solve some things yourself. So bottom line, be happy with the way it is now, make efforts yourself to improve the things you can contribute to, or add/move to another software package that offers what you need now.

prometheus
08-18-2018, 08:12 AM
For whatever intension William had ..which he owns by himself until he reveals anything about it, it does serve a good purpose of making Lightwave showing up more on youtube, cause honestly ...Lightwave videos seem to have been decreasing hugely on youtube the latest years.

With his uploading effort, we now got a lot of content showing up more recently, albeit a bit old content..the rest is up for us users and newtek to start filling in.
Again ...My thanks to William for putting it up in this massive upload.

Qexit
08-18-2018, 09:03 AM
It looks like William has finished posting his full set of over 300 LW videos, so follow this link to get to the main page to access them:

https://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/2018/8/18/lightwave-300-videos

That's one very impressive body of work :thumbsup:

ianr
08-18-2018, 09:37 AM
It looks like William has finished posting his full set of over 300 LW videos, so follow this link to get to the main page to access them:

https://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/2018/8/18/lightwave-300-videos

That's one very impressive body of work :thumbsup:

Wouldn't hurt SOMEONE in NewTek to :newtek: a say Thank you to William for doing that. What a Gent!

prometheus
08-18-2018, 09:58 AM
Wouldn't hurt SOMEONE in NewTek to :newtek: a say Thank you to William for doing that. What a Gent!

Not impossible that Newtek themself actuall asked William to do this, just guessing.

Chuck
08-19-2018, 01:54 PM
William Vaughan can do more generous and brilliant stuff in a day than many of us will manage in a lifetime, and does pretty much all of it at his own initiative. NewTek is of course very thankful to see that he has added these videos to YouTube. They are, as he is himself, an incredible resource to the communities with which he shares.

JohnMarchant
08-19-2018, 02:49 PM
I second and third that Chuck.

erikals
08-19-2018, 03:39 PM
William Vaughan can do more generous and brilliant stuff in a day than many of us will manage in a lifetime, and does pretty much all of it at his own initiative. NewTek is of course very thankful to see that he has added these videos to YouTube. They are, as he is himself, an incredible resource to the communities with which he shares.

...this quote was in need of a frame   :)

TheLexx
09-18-2018, 10:42 AM
William Vaughan's Topology Workbook cracks a list for best modelling books of 2018.
https://www.lifewire.com/best-books-for-3d-modelers-2192

Though done in M***, the book is software agnostic and any 'waver will have many character modelling fears addressed (obviously, practice is important). Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Points-Topology-Workbook-01/dp/1987728610/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537288343&sr=8-1&keywords=pushing+points)link. Hard earned, so congrats.

Qexit
09-18-2018, 11:14 AM
William Vaughan's Topology Workbook cracks a list for best modelling books of 2018.

Though done in M***, the book is software agnostic and any 'waver will have many character modelling fears addressed (obviously, practice is important). Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Points-Topology-Workbook-01/dp/1987728610/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537288343&sr=8-1&keywords=pushing+points)link. Hard earned, so congrats.

:)Also available from Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pushing-Points-Topology-Workbook-01/dp/1987728610

RPSchmidt
09-18-2018, 02:43 PM

I bought it when it came out, although unfortunately I haven't had the time to actually read it. I've learned tons from William Vaughan's tutorials, so I figured regardless of the tool, I would still get some great education from it.

Although I had to opt out of updates and whatnots due to the volume of email I get on a regular basis.