PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia AI DENOISER VS Native VPR

3dhotshot
08-11-2018, 05:32 AM
Correct me if Im wrong but removing noise from a render isn't anything great as with a fast machine native lightwave vpr does this very well for many years. I smell smoke and mirrors on nvidia side only to suck up more sales for their high end cards....

Lightwolf
08-11-2018, 07:08 AM
Well, the point is to remove noise without spending hours more on rendering. Also, you don't really need a high-end card to run the denoiser.
Plus, the interesting part is that it's based on deep learning as opposed to traditional, more generic, noise reduction algorithms.

Cheers,
Mike

erikals
08-11-2018, 08:33 AM
buy a used fast PC, and add noise reduction on top of that.

Ai denoisers might not be Fantastic, but they do help to cut down render-time quite a bit.

a good test >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmhbesUmqcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmhbesUmqcU

ianr
08-11-2018, 09:00 AM
Well, the point is to remove noise without spending hours more on rendering. Also, you don't really need a high-end card to run the denoiser.
Plus, the interesting part is that it's based on deep learning as opposed to traditional, more generic, noise reduction algorithms.

Cheers,
Mike

It would be nice if Antii comes up with a port of this (Nvidia) for the next cycle release?

Morgan Nilsson
08-11-2018, 09:40 AM
I'd prefer gpu agnostic solution rather than Nvidia only, like what Octane is trying to do from what I hear.

Lightwolf
08-11-2018, 12:02 PM
I'd prefer gpu agnostic solution rather than Nvidia only, like what Octane is trying to do from what I hear.

Rolling your own is extremely complex and time consuming (if you want it deep learning based). I don't think NT have the resources for that.

Cheers,
Mike

Asticles
08-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Have tested Ai denoise with some Lw renders and is not working fine with adaptive, I suspect if Antii makes something it should be adapted to a some sort of progressive unbiased engine. Which could also be great.

3dhotshot
08-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Interesting stuff octane looks like a winner ...

Lightwolf
08-12-2018, 01:52 AM
Have tested Ai denoise with some Lw renders and is not working fine with adaptive, I suspect if Antii makes something it should be adapted to a some sort of progressive unbiased engine. Which could also be great.
Just don't expect it to be deep learning based then.

Cheers,
Mike

ianr
08-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Just 'Lobby P.M.' him (Antii). Nicely of course...

Or NT have buy in..either way!

Rayek
12-08-2018, 01:37 PM
For anyone interested in denoising their Lightwave renders with NVIDIA’s OptiX AI-Accelerated Denoiser for free, Remington just released De-Noise which is a plugin for Blender. D-NOISE can quickly and easily denoise any image loaded into the UV/Image Editor with the click of a button.

I am aware this is a Blender plugin, but it is pretty simple to just load up your LW render in Blender, and apply the denoiser. Will shave off hours of rendering for animations (which must be an image sequence: de-noise will not work with animations rendered to movie files!). Works with BMP, PNG, JPEG, TGA, EXR, HDR, TIFF.

And it's free! Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT6NBLv7w_Q

https://remingtongraphics.net/tools/d-noise/

RebelHill
12-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Rolling your own is extremely complex and time consuming (if you want it deep learning based). I don't think NT have the resources for that.

Time consuming... a bit. Complex, nah.

You do need lots of training examples though.

OFF
12-08-2018, 06:19 PM
For interiors with transparent surfaces this works poorly. Transparent surfaces become dull and spotty. In my opinion, otoy just do not know how to improve and speed up the Octane calculation algorithm, so they bet on tricks.

Norka
12-09-2018, 07:17 AM
Octane Denoiser has already saved me dozens of hours rendering. It's not a gimmick or smoke & mirrors. It rocks.

erikals
12-09-2018, 03:51 PM
is it that much better than, say, a temporal denoiser from for example DaVinci Resolve ?

Tobian
12-10-2018, 08:47 AM
Ai denoiser has some major limitations, since it uses the normal, and colour buffer inputs to try and help with boundaries, transparencies and things in sharp reflections get all smushy. So for very soft blurry reflections, with no glass and no mirrors you will get some beautiful cleanups. it's also not temporally coherent or stable across frames. Fantastic for stills, crappy for animations. The cleaner and noise free that your images are, the less you will notice issues and artefacts, as it will do less, but it's an on or off filter.

The above example is *not* a good test, given it's pretty clean to start with, and it doesn't have any sharp reflections, just soft blurry ones, and lots of hard edges/detail which is very easy for it to deal with.

pixelinfected
12-19-2018, 04:34 PM
think to have better powerful gpu+cpu and buy a license of neat video, i use it from since 15 years and save me really tons of hours of render, it allow you to sample noise, and work in different way to higher, high, medum, low freq dectails.

erikals
12-19-2018, 05:24 PM
yes, i guess a mix between a small amount of noise + an Ai denoiser and adding a Temporal video denoiser might be the best

for Cpu i totally recommend AMD these days (low cost, high performance)

CaptainMarlowe
12-19-2018, 10:37 PM
think to have better powerful gpu+cpu and buy a license of neat video, i use it from since 15 years and save me really tons of hours of render, it allow you to sample noise, and work in different way to higher, high, medum, low freq dectails.

After using the demo for a little while, I have totally been convinced by Neatvideo. It works really great for animations, and will without any doubt be my next plug-in.
Edit : a big plus is that it is GPU agnostic, and can take advantage of my 2 AMD GPUs + CPU. Really great.

Tim Parsons
01-25-2019, 08:21 AM
I've been mucking about with LW2019 optix denoiser and all I can say is WOW!! Render times can decrease by as much as 75%!! You can basically turn off Adaptive Sampling.

ianr
01-26-2019, 08:41 AM
It would be nice if Antii comes up with a port of this (Nvidia) for the next cycle release?

WE SAY THANK YOU ALL INSIDE 1 THREAD, i call that preetty good listening!:jam::jam::jam:

erikals
01-26-2019, 08:54 AM
for people rendering stills, it must be somewhat of a gold bar :king:

https://i.imgur.com/fXJGyqy.png

Tim Parsons
01-26-2019, 05:21 PM
Yeah it's really great!! There are some issues but I need to do more testing. The issue I had was with a archvis scene in which I had a chair with a small somewhat checker board fabric - the denoiser completely smoothed the whole pattern out. :) Maybe there needs to be a way to protect areas or objects/surfaces from the denoiser.