PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best Mac for Lightwave

jhinky1986
08-07-2018, 07:45 AM
My Mac is rendering slower then my co-worker. I got a older 2013 mac pro. 3.5 ghz 6-core xeon e5 . 32gig of ddr3 . dual Amd firepro d700 6144mb.

I always thought that the render engine used the graphic card to render thats why I was using this Dual Graphic card machine. But it now think the CPU handels all the rendering.

Does graphic card do anything to make renders faster?
How about ram?

What is the best mac computer setup for rendering out animations?

thanks you.

Meshbuilder
08-07-2018, 08:56 AM
No, the GPU do nothing for the internal render in LightWave. It´s all CPU.

For render speed, and if you have the money go with the Imac Pro.
LightWave renderer scale well to many cores.

Or if you do a lot of animations you could look at buying a little render farm based on PC.

raymondtrace
08-07-2018, 09:41 AM
You'd only depend on a GPU if you're using it to augment your processor for simulation calculations, such as with some third party plugins for smoke/water.

gar26lw
08-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Id probably get a ryzen 1950 but that aint no mac :)

CaptainMarlowe
08-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Long time mac user, here. I'll stick to my current MacPro for 2D editing and everyday tasks, because I love FCPX and Motion 5 will be very interesting with the upcoming MO2 plug-in from Motion VFX.
But for 3D in general and rendering specifically with LW which is CPU-based, my next rig will definitely be a threadripper based PC. With the new 2990X, you get 32 cores, 64 threads for 1000 bucks below the entry 8-core iMac pro... Sadly.

jhinky1986
08-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Long time mac user, here. I'll stick to my current MacPro for 2D editing and everyday tasks, because I love FCPX and Motion 5 will be very interesting with the upcoming MO2 plug-in from Motion VFX.
But for 3D in general and rendering specifically with LW which is CPU-based, my next rig will definitely be a threadripper based PC. With the new 2990X, you get 32 cores, 64 threads for 1000 bucks below the entry 8-core iMac pro... Sadly.

I am in the same boat as you. I use Final cut all the time, adobe AE, PS, AI ect... I work on outdoor (fishing) TV shows. I also do the animations for shows and sponsor needs. Thats why I had a mac for editing and was using 3D Max on parrells. But now I have to use lightwave because thats what bosses wanted. ARGGG.

gar26lw
08-07-2018, 10:44 PM
32 core 2990x hey, yeah no brainer. AMD really kicking it with these chips

Meshbuilder
08-08-2018, 01:56 AM
My Mac is rendering slower then my co-worker. I got a older 2013 mac pro. 3.5 ghz 6-core xeon e5 . 32gig of ddr3 . dual Amd firepro d700 6144mb.

You can see here (based on Maxon´s CineBench) how your MacPro scores in render speed against other Macs.
If you want to double your render speed you need to buy at least a 10-core iMac pro (or a PC).
The 18-core version is 3X faster than your current Mac but the price is insane.

CineBench 15 MP CPU score:

2017 iMac Pro 18-CORE 2950 cb
2017 iMac Pro 14-CORE 2517 cb
2017 iMac Pro 10-CORE 2060 cb
2017 iMac Pro 8-CORE 1668 cb
2013 MacPro 12-CORE 1533 cb
2013 MacPro 8-CORE 1277 cb
2018 MacBook Pro 6-CORE i9 1059 cb
2013 MacPro 6-CORE (your current) 966 cb
2017 iMac 5K 4-CORE 934 cb
2013 MacPro 4-CORE 662 cb
2013 MacBook Pro 4-CORE 647 cb

RPSchmidt
08-08-2018, 09:44 AM
You could also consider using a different renderer, like Octane. It's GPU-based, so you could feasibly see a render time decrease from using Octane, even with your older d700 cards.

The Octane license with Lightwave plug-in, at $589 standalone combo, is also cheaper than getting a new computer.

There are upsides and downsides to going this route.

Honestly, if you are focusing on 3d work, it really makes more fiscal sense to go PC. Even using Octane Render, if I started out with less than optimal video cards to keep the overall build cost down, when I have the money to invest, I buy the new cards and install them. No muss, no fuss.

Morgan Nilsson
08-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Just recently got the macbook pro 2018 model, really happy with it so far coming from my old pc with a 6700k

Though like others, I'd suggest getting either egpus with your Mac and use octane if you render really heavy scenes or get a cpu based render node to compliment your Mac.

jhinky1986
08-08-2018, 11:50 AM
I was thinking about making a mini PC. With AMD CPU. I could make a cheap machine, but do I really need a good graphic card? I don't use particles or effects. My animations are mostly fishing reels, Fish, Weeds, Lake structure. Most effect I use is fog to make water murky.

I could go EGPU route but I think PC would be cheaper. Basically use it as a farm and just have a display switch for monitor.
Save me money cuz then I don't need to buy Octane and no more high MAC prices.

thoughts?

Markc
08-08-2018, 11:52 AM
You could also consider using a different renderer, like Octane. It's GPU-based, so you could feasibly see a render time decrease from using Octane, even with your older d700 cards.

The Octane license with Lightwave plug-in, at $589 standalone combo, is also cheaper than getting a new computer.

There are upsides and downsides to going this route.

Honestly, if you are focusing on 3d work, it really makes more fiscal sense to go PC. Even using Octane Render, if I started out with less than optimal video cards to keep the overall build cost down, when I have the money to invest, I buy the new cards and install them. No muss, no fuss.

This will not work, Octane only works with Nvidia cards....:)

Axis3d
08-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Currently, I run Lightwave on a 12-core (2.6ghz) MacPro and a 4-core (3.7ghz) imac. The imac has a Nvidia card (which Apple doesn't use anymore) , which is great for a plugin like Turbulence FD. Oddly enough, I find that the feel of LW's openGL works much better with a Nvidia card. And also, the 12 core MacPro is not much (if any) faster at rendering with VPR than the 4 core imac. I don't think LW is very well multi-threaded for VPR on the mac.

For all the money that you spend on a MacPro (probably close to $9000) I don't think you get a lot for your money.
My current advice is that since a MacPro is soooo much money, and renderfarm costs are so cheap now, that it might be better spent not putting your money into the computer as a renderer. This obviously depends on just how much rendering you do, but it would take a long time to spend $9000 at a renderfarm company. Plus, the renderfarm companies maintain the computers and have the plugins installed.

Just my two cents.

Dexter2999
08-08-2018, 05:56 PM
This might sound like a trolling question but it isn't intended to be such. I'm asking this out of genuine curiosity. Will there be a Lightwave on Mac issue going forward? A tech podcast I listen to regularly was discussing Apple deciding to move towards a solely Metal graphics format and backing away from OpenGL/CL (which I know LW uses.)

Would this be small thing or a huge hurdle for LW users on Mac? Would moving towards dedicated GPU software bypass this?

Just curious.

jwiede
08-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Well, the short answer is that as OpenGL & OpenCL are still present in Mojave, there won't be an immediate problem, but Newtek does need to start working now to get things ported. Porting isn't as bad as it sounds, though, and their OpenGL code needed some work anyway, so in the end it'll be better for LW Mac all around for them to port to Metal (or Vulkan-on-Metal or whatever).

Dexter2999
08-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Cool. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like something to be aware of but not worried about.

RPSchmidt
08-09-2018, 11:32 AM
This will not work, Octane only works with Nvidia cards....:)

Ach, that's right :bangwall:

rpsolo
03-28-2019, 08:16 AM
So if I bought one of the new iMac Pros maxed out, I'd be good to go with Lightwave? Any performance or compatibility issues?
thanks!

raymondtrace
03-28-2019, 11:16 AM
There are always performance and compatibility issues with Mac and LW. LW2019's GPU denoiser won't work on Mac. You'll find more third party plugins for Windows (but you can easily solve that on Mac with Apple's Boot Camp and a Windows OS). Even with a maxed out iMac, you can likely find a better Windows system, cheaper and more extensible.

You only choose Mac because of the way it feels to you. If it makes your brain happy, go for it.

(I'm not anti-Mac or pro-Windows. My preference is Linux.)

pbaroque20
03-28-2019, 12:20 PM
My preference is Linux.

I would love to work with LW in a Linux environment.

Markc
03-28-2019, 12:29 PM
So if I bought one of the new iMac Pros maxed out, I'd be good to go with Lightwave? Any performance or compatibility issues?
thanks!

When you say 'maxed out', your not thinking of 256gb ram are you......phew..£££££££......:D

Qexit
03-28-2019, 02:04 PM
When you say 'maxed out', your not thinking of 256gb ram are you......phew..£££££££......:DHehe, you're not kidding. I got an email from Novatech earlier today that included a link to a fun article looking at just that by comparing a maxed out iMac Pro costing £14, 747 and a similarly equipped Windows workstation that they could put together:

https://www.novatech.co.uk/blog/pc-workstation-vs-imac-pro/?utm_source=eweekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=280319

Note, it doesn't try to say which is better just comparing the cost of similar configurations though the PC also includes a desk and chair :D

Ma3rk
03-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Hehe, you're not kidding. I got an email from Novatech earlier today that included a link to a fun article looking at just that by comparing a maxed out iMac Pro costing £14, 747 and a similarly equipped Windows workstation that they could put together:

https://www.novatech.co.uk/blog/pc-workstation-vs-imac-pro/?utm_source=eweekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=280319

Note, it doesn't try to say which is better just comparing the cost of similar configurations though the PC also includes a desk and chair :D

Friends don't let Friends buy a Mac Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu0ULHAbp44

Ztreem
03-28-2019, 03:52 PM
If you’re serious about 3d, do what other mac users do.
https://youtu.be/cgWLHHDQfXQ

hypersuperduper
03-29-2019, 01:47 AM
It might be worth holding out a couple months to see if the rumored new Mac Pro appears and looks good.

gar26lw
03-29-2019, 02:05 AM
best mac is a pc, with mac os in a vm

Otterman
03-29-2019, 03:50 AM
Long term Mac user here, currently using two 2013 Mac pro 12 cores and a PC render farm. I'm at a point where I'm considering abandoning the Mac. Their current offering offers very little benefit over what I currently have. Apple has had so little progress and neglected the Pro market far too long now. If their next offerings don't blow me away Im defecting.

CaptainMarlowe
03-29-2019, 07:34 AM
Long term Mac user here, currently using two 2013 Mac pro 12 cores and a PC render farm. I'm at a point where I'm considering abandoning the Mac. Their current offering offers very little benefit over what I currently have. Apple has had so little progress and neglected the Pro market far too long now. If their next offerings don't blow me away Im defecting.

I hear you. Until now, I would have kept the Mac for FCP X and Motion 5, but Da vinci resolve 15 is a real good alternative too. For now, I'll add (well, when I have some spare cash :) ) an AMD-based PC for 3D, but when my MacPro dies, I will certainly switch also 2D editing on PC. I'm afraid the next MacPro would be yet another "innovative" design (such as closed boxes linked together through a proprietary connector) not allowing for regular and affordable upgrades.

pinkmouse
03-29-2019, 10:28 AM
Again, a long term Mac user here, suggesting you buy a PC if you want current LW. No prospects of DP kit for Mac, and quite a few other plugins too, as well as LW3DG seeming to have a bit of a "red headed stepchild" view towards OSX. But DPkit is the main reason I haven't upgraded, and still on 11.6.3. ( and with other s/w).

edit: Oh , and IFW2...

jwiede
03-29-2019, 04:41 PM
Again, a long term Mac user here, suggesting you buy a PC if you want current LW. No prospects of DP kit for Mac, and quite a few other plugins too, as well as LW3DG seeming to have a bit of a "red headed stepchild" view towards OSX. But DPkit is the main reason I haven't upgraded, and still on 11.6.3. ( and with other s/w).

edit: Oh , and IFW2...

Yep, hate to say it, but tend to agree. Absence of DP plugins, IFW plugins, etc. on recent Mac LW is just a showstopper these days, IMO. Given those situations, it's quite difficult to recommend LW on Mac. If you're set on LW, get a Windows PC. If you're set on Mac, well, the Mac LW situation is currently... disappointing, and seems unlikely to improve in near-term future.

hypersuperduper
03-30-2019, 04:55 AM
It’s not all bad on Mac. At least lightwave finally supports retina screens! *returns to sobbing into pillow*

Markc
03-30-2019, 12:30 PM
Personally, LW2019 and all my commercial plugins work on my mac [LWCad, TFD, Syflex, Ubercam, EXR Trader, StarPro].

But I am only a hobbyist, so not really taxing things.