PDA

View Full Version : Noob: Line between Polygons

Camon
08-06-2018, 09:09 AM
I was creating a motor belt guard by hand, and I ended up creating a break in the shell at the intersection between two polygons. How do I remove this "edge?"

jeric_synergy
08-06-2018, 10:16 AM
It looks like it may be a 2-point poly. To kill, select in the STATS window.

If not (it's hard to tell from the image) you may need to Merge some points in the affected area. In Point Mode, lasso select in that area-- this may work better in WIREFRAME viewing mode. Find the points, and MERGE. You'll probably have to do both ends.

BTW, you might find this sort of thing easier if you HIDE a great deal of the geometry, especially in WIREFRAME. Remember to UNHIDE at the end.

Camon
08-06-2018, 10:47 AM
It looks like it may be a 2-point poly. To kill, select in the STATS window.

If not (it's hard to tell from the image) you may need to Merge some points in the affected area. In Point Mode, lasso select in that area-- this may work better in WIREFRAME viewing mode. Find the points, and MERGE. You'll probably have to do both ends.

BTW, you might find this sort of thing easier if you HIDE a great deal of the geometry, especially in WIREFRAME. Remember to UNHIDE at the end.

Thanks very much! Selecting the two point polys in Stats and deleting did the trick!

ccclarke
08-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Glad that fixed it. Keeping the Statistics panel open while modeling, (along with the Numeric panel) is an indispensable part of my modeling workflow. Single and 2-point polys (rarely ever needed) should be removed as they occur. This is called housekeeping, and prevents other problems during common modeling operations (Booleans and Rounder are two examples). In school, this was the first thing the instructor checked when evaluating our modeling work.

Anytime I download a model built by someone else, I evaluate it with the Statistics panel as soon as it loads. Even with professionally-built models, you'll often find them full of one and two-point polys, as well as unmerged polygons. Keeping your mesh clean as you work is a good habit to maintain.

CC