PDA

View Full Version : New version updates?

KevinL
08-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Is it possible to do an in place upgrade rather than a new directory install. I am tired of configuring every update.

Markc
08-04-2018, 11:03 AM
That would be a nice feature, for point updates....:thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
08-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Then you wouldn't have recourse if a point update killed your favorite feature.

Better would be something that would automagically transport the configs from previous installs.

jwiede
08-05-2018, 12:05 AM
Better would be something that would automagically validate and transport the configs from previous installs.

Lemme fix that (^) for you. :devil:

Ma3rk
08-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Then you wouldn't have recourse if a point update killed your favorite feature.

Better would be something that would automagically transport the configs from previous installs.

Not "Automagicical", but radically knocks down the time & pain of updating. Still some manual copying of a couple files with a new version, but certainly not rocket surgery.

https://vimeo.com/269398516

jeric_synergy
08-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Oliver IS a wizard. ;)

Point taken about the validation, but Q: what is it about the configs that becomes unvalid? Licenses?

jwiede
08-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Oliver IS a wizard. ;)

Point taken about the validation, but Q: what is it about the configs that becomes unvalid? Licenses?

Historically, all sorts of issues can form in the configs, leading to all sorts of odd symptoms. Thus, the "delete configs and try again" manta with Lightwave.

oliverhotz
08-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Last thing i really gotta say to that topic:

https://www.facebook.com/oliver.hotz.9/videos/10217556692651535/

Kryslin
08-05-2018, 02:07 PM
A couple of suggestions to make your upgrade experience go even faster than 85 seconds:

1) Store your plugins outside of the Lightwave folder structure.
2) Save out your custom menu branches, and keep them in a single place.
3) Use junction points. Simply drop a junction point to your plugins folder into the support/plugins folder, or into the .newtek/<version>/plugins folder (thanks to DB&W for saying something about this with Nodemeister)(You will need an external tool for windows, I dunno about Mac).
4) Import your menu branches into the appropriate application, and don't forget your color picker library. If you have autoscan plugins enabled, Lightwave should pick everything up.
5) Done. You might have spent a minute doing all that. I wouldn't be surprised that this process could be scripted, to be even faster.

gar26lw
08-06-2018, 05:05 AM
Origami Digital's sig should read "adding the common sense usability to LW" :P

KevinL
08-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Thank you for the smart *** replies, very helpful :)

- - - Updated - - -

PS If you actually provided a useful comment, that wasn't addressed toward you :)

raymondtrace
08-06-2018, 01:31 PM
I'm curious what you consider to be such a reply. Every response has been reasonable. Lighten up. Is grace dead?

Instead of asking a question that most people (including yourself) recognize is answered with "no", consider asking how to better manage upgrading your configuration files. There are plenty of good answers there. Using practices already mentioned here, I didn't spend more than a minute moving from 2018.0.5 to 2018.0.6.

Kryslin
08-06-2018, 03:11 PM
What I posted is the process I worked out, without scripting, around LW 10, and I've been using junction points for far, far longer. It works, and I spend about 2 minutes moving things over, most of it loading and placing menu branches. I think I've repeated it now about 4 times. Some people, admittedly, get a little tired of the complaints every new version.

I guess, simply put, the best advice is : Find a method that makes it as painless as possible that works for you. I'm guessing that a majority of professional customers want the separate install, instead of an overlay.

I, for one, prefer the separate version installs... mainly because of things that work in a prior version that get broken in the newest version, or because of incompatibilities between versions. I have 9.6.1, 11.6.3, 2015.3, and 2018.0.x concurrently installed because of those reasons.

Greenlaw
08-06-2018, 04:25 PM
A couple of suggestions....
I agree with Kryslin's recommendation. This exactly what I do and it only takes me a few minutes to get up and running when a new release comes out.

One additional thing I do is I like to keep a synchronized copy of my current 'Newtek' and 'dotNewTek' folders in a DrobBox folder. I sync these folders anytime I make a change to the local configs on the computer I'm working on. This makes it easier for me to update any of my personal computers--I just sync the local folders the other computers to the current DropBox folders.

I suppose I could simplify this and just run LW from DropBox, but I prefer to keep programs in their default locations.

One catch: some computers need slightly different versions of plugins (i.e., Cuda or not Cuda versions, etc.) In this case, I keep a list of what needs to be different on each machine. (At the moment, I think it's only one of the Hurley plugins that's different, so no biggie.)

Edit: That said, I'm all for an automated system if I could be sure it actually worked. :p

Edit 2: One thing I sould clarify: When saving menus backups, I save each custom branch in addition to the full menu backup.

This is because when I install a new LightWave, I prefer to start with the new version's default config because it may include menus for new tools, etc. At this stage, I will add only the custom menu branches. After I have this configured in the new version, then I'll save a complete menu backup. This full menu back up is for when I mess something up in this particular version and I need to quickly get back to a working setup.

KevinL
08-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Procedure comments were useful. Still would prefer in place, as most other software uses.

The summary of the smart*** comment "https://www.facebook.com/oliver.hotz...7556692651535/" insulting and unhelpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed that Oliver H facebook link is dead for me.... :)

oliverhotz
08-07-2018, 08:02 AM
Its not a smart *** comment.. its simply telling you a way to do it... dont want to attempt it, thats fine... and wait for the devs to fix it... and when we get the next patch, you can complain about it again... and the next patch.. again...

raymondtrace
08-07-2018, 09:00 AM
...The summary of the smart*** comment "https://www.facebook.com/oliver.hotz...7556692651535/" insulting and unhelpful...

You appear to have misread the Facebook post ...and misread those that once bothered to try to help.

UnCommonGrafx
08-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Ah... that's what killed the link.

A smart arsed remark.

Just looking for that link to code this simple tool. It was a brilliant point considering how much energy has gone into this complaint.

Go figure.
Robert

oliverhotz
08-07-2018, 09:19 AM
I killed the link, because one user decided to go into a lengthy argument, at the end of which, he decided to delete all his posts... and my replies then obviously made no sense out of context, so instead of deleting each of my responses, i just deleted the whole thing. It was easier that way, no other reason. Anyways. I think what has been said, was said, and, yes.. if the energy thats spend on complaining was put into at least attempting to learn something.... we wouldnt need to have these discussions, the SAME discussions over and over.

Marander
08-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Procedure comments were useful. Still would prefer in place, as most other software uses. .....

Not true, some software does, some not. And Oliver is a very helpful guy. I understand scripting is not for everyone but this is really not a big effort even when done manually every couple of weeks.

I just wrote this in another post before reading this thread:

"Well as admin you should be able to create a small script that does that in no time and hopefully use the silent install options LW provides.

Some software companies implement inplace upgrades for fixpacks, others not.

Allegorithmic, Planetside, Pilgrim, SideFX or Blender don't for example, they install a full version, in some cases separately like LW does and in others replacing the existing one. Others like e-on and Maxon provide inplace / incremental upgrades. So you see LW is not so special in that regard and its config setup is fairly simple to use.

Important is to keep 3rd party plugins in a folder outside the LW installation and save the menus. Mine are always up-to-date and ready for the next upgrade.

For single installations the LW config change is done within 1-2 minutes max, even with many plugins and custom menus.

I would prefer if NewTek concentrates on more pressing issues with LW."

jeric_synergy
08-07-2018, 09:32 AM
A couple of suggestions to make your upgrade experience go even faster than 85 seconds:
3) Use junction points. Simply drop a junction point to your plugins folder into the support/plugins folder, or into the .newtek/<version>/plugins folder (thanks to DB&W for saying something about this with Nodemeister)(You will need an external tool for windows, I dunno about Mac).

"Junction points"? That's a new one on me. I guess I could Google it, but I'd like to see the conversation continue.

I myself keep plugins/scripts in a folder outside etc etc and every time I alter the menus or hotkeys Save the configs. I >do< wonder if I'm occasionally concealing new tools this way.

raymondtrace
08-07-2018, 09:36 AM
...It was easier that way, no other reason...

I suspected (and would have been fine with) another reason.

Matthew 7:6 (literary reference; no religion intended)

Kryslin
08-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Jeric : junction points are the windows equivalent of *nix Symlinks. It is basically a redirect to another location that looks like a folder, and is treated like a folder by the OS. I have some 64Gb of textures for Half-life 2 mapping, and I didn't want to copy said folder 6 times, so I used windows junction points to redirect to a master location.

They are extra-ordinarily useful... and you already use them (my documents, pictures, video, music, etc.).

In windows, it requires the use of NTFS for your HDD's file system.

gar26lw
08-07-2018, 11:10 AM
it was mentioned to me the other day that junction points can screw up with windows updates.
been using symbolic links though atm, which are great.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Tim Parsons
08-07-2018, 07:48 PM
I've just learnt to deal with it. I'm not going to learn how to script or get into the inner workings of my PC to save me 15mins on a new install. I'm not geeky like that. :)