PDA

View Full Version : The Extrude Tool

Nadir Mengal
08-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Why Modeler's Extrude Tool doesnt work the way like other softwares do?
The polygon normals get flipped and there always remain a polygon where you start from.It is ,however usefull for extruding curves. The polygons that are made using Extrude Tool are always detached.

MonroePoteet
08-03-2018, 10:02 AM
If you extrude in the direction of the original polygon normal, the extruded polygons will point inward, as expected. You can see the normal of the original polygon by selecting Polygon mode (CTRL-G) and selecting the original polygon:

If you want the extruded polygons to point outward, use "f" to flip the original polygon normal and then extrude:

The same is true for Rail Extrude along a curve / rail - if the original polygon's normal is pointing in the direction of the rail, the extruded polygons will point inward. Again, use "f" to flip the original polygon for inward pointing extrusion.

I think the behavior of having a polygon at the place where you start from is expected, closing the extruded space.

mTp

prometheus
08-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Why Modeler's Extrude Tool doesnt work the way like other softwares do?
The polygon normals get flipped and there always remain a polygon where you start from.It is ,however usefull for extruding curves. The polygons that are made using Extrude Tool are always detached.

Yes, can feel a bit awkward...do not use the Extrude tool on a full object you want to extrude out a connected face from, as you noted..itīs useful only for extruding flat surfaces, or polylines or curves, not to use on other premade objects.
for that you just hit "e" for extender, or use multishift, or smooth shift, they have various functions, bevel is also an option, but you can not use that with multiple selected faces...so that is a job for extender or multishift.
the modify/ tweak tool can be used as well to "extrude out a face from any object..without even selecting the face, it hover highlight the faces and you right click to drag and extrude..hold the shift key in when doing so for a constrained axis move in the poly direction, you can also use crtl..but that can be a bit tricky to get proper constrained polydirectional move.

jeric_synergy
08-03-2018, 01:12 PM
Yeah, it's definitely NOT like, eg, C4D's "Extrude".

Just re-wire your memory and substitute "Extend" (shortcut="e"). But, Extend is a COMMAND, not a tool.

By that I mean:
Select a poly.
Hit "e" - you've COMMANDED Modeler to do something, but it's invisible (unless you are staring at the Polygon Statistics window like some weirdo).
Select MOVE and move it. AH! All is clear!

BUT HERE'S THE MAGIC:
without dropping the Move Tool, hit "e" again. Drag. Voila! Hit "e", drag. Hit "e", switch to ROTATE TOOL, drag.

etc.

"Bevel" or "Multishift" is much more like other softwares' "Extrude" function.

hrgiger
08-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Because Modeler is old.

Nadir Mengal
08-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Yes, can feel a bit awkward...do not use the Extrude tool on a full object you want to extrude out a connected face from, as you noted..itīs useful only for extruding flat surfaces, or polylines or curves, not to use on other premade objects.
for that you just hit "e" for extender, or use multishift, or smooth shift, they have various functions, bevel is also an option, but you can not use that with multiple selected faces...so that is a job for extender or multishift.
the modify/ tweak tool can be used as well to "extrude out a face from any object..without even selecting the face, it hover highlight the faces and you right click to drag and extrude..hold the shift key in when doing so for a constrained axis move in the poly direction, you can also use crtl..but that can be a bit tricky to get proper constrained polydirectional move.

Thanks +prometheus . didnt know about Tweak Tool having extrude functionality ;)

jeric_synergy
08-03-2018, 03:41 PM
It didn't take long for me to hard-crash LWM using Tweak and Extend. Less than 20 clicks.

Just sayin'.

prometheus
08-03-2018, 05:29 PM
It didn't take long for me to hard-crash LWM using Tweak and Extend. Less than 20 clicks.

Just sayin'.

Lightwave 2015.3 for me has been the worse in terms of crashing, but that relates mostly to Layout, with the tweaktool...rarely any crash with the tweak tool ..if I can recall any for that matter.
2018? do not know.

prometheus
08-03-2018, 05:33 PM
By that I mean:
Select a poly.
Hit "e" - you've COMMANDED Modeler to do something, but it's invisible (unless you are staring at the Polygon Statistics window like some weirdo).

Invisible..where?
Extender is right there as a button under multiply/extender plus.
Edit..Sorry, after reviewing.I get your point, you obviously didnīt mean the tool invisible..but the operation and control.

prometheus
08-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Thanks +prometheus . didnt know about Tweak Tool having extrude functionality ;)

remember, it can also hover over an edge without you switching away from polygon mode, and right click and extend an edge...in case you would need that, may be useful when you retopo from flat polys mostly.

if you have areas that needs connecting, do so with the line pen.