PDA

View Full Version : Noob level: align a dodecohedron?

jeric_synergy
08-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Ugh, brain misfire... Noob-level question:

Here's the default dodecahedron in LWM Perspective window. How can I align the entire object so the indicated poly is "flat"?

....can't dredge up the proper tool....

+++++++++++++++

After several disappointments with the "Axis..." toolset, "ROTATE TO GROUND" was the answer.

I was assuming that "AXIS..." would align to the World Axes, but seem to be mistaken. I think >IF< I had included an alignment >mesh<, matching it up would have been a snap (ha!) --I'm sure I've seen a video wherein aligning geometry is pretty good. I'd encourage the devs to consider implementing the World Axes a sort of "virtual object" or "IMPLICIT object" for alignment when there's no other geometry in the workspace.

Gungho3D
08-02-2018, 08:07 PM
There should be at least one "C-Plane" plugin for getting this done ... sorry, usually I like to give a much more detailed response, just needing to rush out the door right now.

If you can't find one, let me know and I'll update you regards how I get this exact same thing done ...

Gungho3D
08-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Ok, so it was part of the "align" set of tools (see attached)

It is meant to achieve a temporary flat xyz "construction plane" based on the selected polygon, after which you can flick the rotated layer back to its original position.

Be careful to keep track of what other layers you have "in view" at the time you use this tool - if I remember correctly, even background layers have been affected.

The tool is not as good as for example a fully configurable/definable "construction plane" would be - instead of a construction plane moving to match the selected polygon's orientation, the LW implementation moves the entire object (based on polygon selection) to match its own, built-in, immovable xyz construction plane.

Just the same, it has been useful for me in a number of cases ...

Matt
08-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Rotate to Axis