PDA

View Full Version : "Bent" normal maps?

Philbert
07-25-2018, 05:19 PM
In 16 years doing 3D I've never heard this term, only object space and tangent space. Now Unity's Delighting tool is asking for it. What is it?

Sensei
07-25-2018, 10:48 PM
Did you read this article?
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/BentNormalMaps

Philbert
07-25-2018, 11:04 PM
I have not. Thank you.

meshpig
07-26-2018, 10:32 AM
Was in Philly about a month ago... interesting to see the heart of American Jurisprudence, so to speak. Great food too.

Isn't this a bit like alpha channel maps in PS where you action replicate the edge repeatedly?

Philbert
07-30-2018, 12:14 PM
Hope you had a cheesesteak! I don't know what you mean by action replicate an edge. I did learn that 3D-Coat can bake bent normal maps. They look very similar to regular normal maps, world space or tangent space.

meshpig
08-11-2018, 03:45 AM
Hope you had a cheesesteak! I don't know what you mean by action replicate an edge. I did learn that 3D-Coat can bake bent normal maps. They look very similar to regular normal maps, world space or tangent space.

Indeed discovered cheesesteaks and more IPA's/hoppy beer (buckwheat panckaes and maple syrup already)... me neither ever heard of bent normal maps, way too far into game design. Lousy food in W DC apart from the Hilton but surprised in Akron Ohio by better SE Asian renditions than NYC!

Philbert
08-11-2018, 02:44 PM
So I have learned that 3D-Coat can generate bent normal maps but there are some settings and I didn't know what to set them at. I discovered xNormal can also do them and it's more straightforward I think.

meshpig
08-13-2018, 05:41 AM
So I have learned that 3D-Coat can generate bent normal maps but there are some settings and I didn't know what to set them at. I discovered xNormal can also do them and it's more straightforward I think.

"... bent-normals, calculating the overall average of light that could be projected out from a surface" like the opposite of normals. It's a game thing, like you're baking the GI rather than a specific light probe on an object? The difference isn't exctly jumping out at you. Pretty sure in 3DC it's not called that but the light baking tool is where u might look.

meshpig
08-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Yep in 3D Coat, it's under Textures/Light Baking Tool in the Paint room.