PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Quick tips

dsoell
07-22-2018, 02:12 PM
Hey guys! I've started a series of Lightwave quick tip vids. There are only 2 in there right now but I'm planning on making new stuff at least once a week. Hope it helps somebody with something. More to come! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCClY6BqfnjVY04h_xG4V-hQ?view_as=subscriber

Ma3rk
07-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Wow. The edge move trick alone is certainly worth the price of admission. We have GOT to find out who the brain trust on that one was. Good find.

dsoell
07-22-2018, 04:58 PM
I would like to know that myself. Feels like somebody started to code got sidetracked and simply forgot about it. But what do I know, I can hardly input the code on my phone :D

BeeVee
07-22-2018, 05:08 PM
It is in the 2018 docs...
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Edit+Edges

and also in the 2015 docs (p1511)

B

dsoell
07-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Hey Ben! As I've said on YT: best manual ever. Yeah it is all in there. The one thing that is missing is that ctrl to move a single edge only works after you have moved the entire edgeloop first.

Ma3rk
07-22-2018, 06:37 PM
I would like to know that myself. Feels like somebody started to code got sidetracked and simply forgot about it. But what do I know, I can hardly input the code on my phone :D

Same here, and that's my guess too. I just know I tried as described & got nowhere.

RPSchmidt
07-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Hey Ben! As I've said on YT: best manual ever. Yeah it is all in there. The one thing that is missing is that ctrl to move a single edge only works after you have moved the entire edgeloop first.

Do you have to actually move the whole edge loop, or can you just select the tool, select the edge loop with the tool, and then use ctrl to move an individual edge?

On another note, I am really glad to see more people sharing their knowledge and insights. I think Lightwave users often tend to be insular in their work and they don't realize that something that you as an individual artist takes for granted, other LW users are completely unaware of.

So it's always good to get new tool insights and workflows from other users :)

meshpig
07-23-2018, 08:44 AM
... "Do you have to actually move the whole edge loop, or can you just select the tool, select the edge loop with the tool, and then use ctrl to move an individual edge?"

Just the edge. Then it moves along the normal between the 2 outer edges which is handy for hard-edged modelling.

erikals
07-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Do you have to actually move the whole edge loop, or can you just select the tool, select the edge loop with the tool, and then use ctrl to move an individual edge?
both.

HowEver!... you cannot select multiple edges, then move them.
you either have to move the whole edgeloop, or 1 edge.

try moving a row of say, 5 edges. > not possible.

plugin solutions are > DUniSlide(PC) or WedgeSlide(PC/Mac)

dsoell
07-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Update Video is coming. You just have to left click one edge (the orange circle) and then ctrl left click and drag to move a single edge (Thanks to Ben for the info). And no you can't move multiple edges.

dsoell
07-23-2018, 10:26 AM
Yes I am guilty of the cave mode as well and thought that nobody would need my 2 cents. Well some people pushed me over the edge and here I am free falling recording hopefully many vids on the way down. See you after the crash!

jwiede
07-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Or, ya know, maybe the devs could just fix the keyboard interaction so the tool accepts the CTRL modifier from the start? :devil:

RPSchmidt
07-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Or, ya know, maybe the devs could just fix the keyboard interaction so the tool accepts the CTRL modifier from the start? :devil:

Okay... so I'm not in front of my workstation right now, so I can't try this.

Has anyone tried SHIFT selecting the edges? In most programs, CTRL selecting chooses a single item, then adds each item after it to the selection; but perhaps in this case SHIFT left-click would allow the selection of multiple edges?

I'm sure someone has tried it, but it occurred to me that in many programs, CTRL left click should update the selection with each added item, but in some programs it doesn't; your only option is SHIFT left click.

dlvphoto
07-23-2018, 11:49 AM
Okay... so I'm not in front of my workstation right now, so I can't try this.

Has anyone tried SHIFT selecting the edges? In most programs, CTRL selecting chooses a single item, then adds each item after it to the selection; but perhaps in this case SHIFT left-click would allow the selection of multiple edges?

I'm sure someone has tried it, but it occurred to me that in many programs, CTRL left click should update the selection with each added item, but in some programs it doesn't; your only option is SHIFT left click.

Shift Click while in the edit edge mode deletes the edge or edge loop you're working with.

RPSchmidt
07-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Shift Click while in the edit edge mode deletes the edge or edge loop you're working with.

Yup, that is a poor design decision.... at least, from the perspective of adjusting multiple edges.

dsoell
07-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Here is the follow up video: The Edit Edge Mystery Is History https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgKZa_W0wpM

jeric_synergy
07-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Yup, that is a poor design decision.... at least, from the perspective of adjusting multiple edges.

Since you can adjust all edges/segments in EDIT EDGES, I'm not sure I see the problem. EDIT EDGES ignores Selected Edges (indeed, all selection): all Edges are enabled for adjustment.

I'd say the converse is more problematic: you cannot exclude Edges from alteration. But the nature of the tool is such that this isn't imo a big problem.

++++
BTW, the whole "ya gotta click FIRST, then do something" is the thing I really Really RILLY hate about the Mac UI: F88kers, I'm OVER the damn button, don't make me click twice to 'wake up' the app. H8 it.

dsoell
07-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Just as a quick heads up. As I am mulitilingual I'm going to do the vids in 3 languages. English German and Spanish. Gotta push the wave no matter the lingo. Also please guys, if ypu see anything wrong with the content or my blabbering, don't hesitate to slap me left and right. I'll correct the issue asap. I'm really just a regular user and in no way "up there" with some of the light knights around here.

raymondtrace
07-24-2018, 03:28 PM
That sounds great but don't wear yourself out. I've been watching several non-English LW videos, thanks to YouTube's caption translation. If the speaker enunciates well, like yourself, the auto-generated captions and their machine translation are surprisingly effective.

dsoell
07-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Interesting! You learn something everyday!Thanks for the info.

jeric_synergy
07-24-2018, 06:36 PM
I found the info quite valuable. I look forward to the German version. :D

Many thanks.

dsoell
07-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Next update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83OoQujm8RA

RPSchmidt
07-27-2018, 07:59 AM
That sounds great but don't wear yourself out. I've been watching several non-English LW videos, thanks to YouTube's caption translation. If the speaker enunciates well, like yourself, the auto-generated captions and their machine translation are surprisingly effective.

Same here. The auto-generated captions aren't perfect, but they get close enough so that you can get the general idea and most details. Although if you generate a reference script, it makes the captions more accurate.

dsoell
07-27-2018, 08:36 AM
Well ... if there are some ppl here from the Spanish or German speaking community, I'd love to hear some feedback!

dsoell
07-29-2018, 07:20 AM
Aaaand the next update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPw4lrEpOpw&t=63s

BeeVee
07-29-2018, 10:28 AM
My Modeler set up has long been to have three or four windows at the side - Numeric, Statistics, Layers and Vertex Maps. They are always present and so don't get in the way of the interface. I have been using LightWave since the Amiga days when the resolution was at most 640x512 (before I got a graphics card), and there was still room on the screen to lose a bit of the width. (this is just a meta-tip to help with having these functions present)

B
PS. I also use tools that let me snap windows to each other to make this easier

dsoell
07-30-2018, 01:17 PM
Any tips as to what these tools are???

BeeVee
07-30-2018, 02:04 PM
Now, I use Display Fusion (https://www.displayfusion.com/), which is a tool to manage multiple monitors, to do it; but the tool I used to use is called AllSnap (http://ivanheckman.com/allsnap/). Now, I'm still on Windows 7 and truly dislike 10, above all because it messes with my window snapping. Every time I start Modeler on Win10 I have to re-adjust my windows because Windows decides it knows better than me how I want my windows and adjusts them all by a few pixels.

B

OnlineRender
07-30-2018, 02:47 PM
does this still work ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuf5FKRaN0Y

dsoell
07-31-2018, 03:57 PM
Next Video! Quick Tip06: Nifty Nick-Nacks In Modeler. Hope you like it! If you have any suggestions for more stuff, Don't hesitate to nag me!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYjPydDqUGo

BeeVee
07-31-2018, 04:36 PM
Very handy, thanks for these dsoell!

B

dsoell
07-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Pleasure! That thread is a gold mine for every Lightwaver!

Revanto
08-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Wow! I was just looking at your cylinder tutorial and you did one that was in a roundabout way.

OK, I will explain it simply as to what I do to add edge loops to the ends of cylinders. It is best for simple shapes flush to the XYZ angles.

1) Select the Ngon cap polygon at the end of a cylinder.
2) 'E' to extrude ("extender plus" for me) then alt+arrow to nudge out an edge loop from the view perpendicular to the cap poly.
3) 'E' again to extrude and then scale the polygon (shift + H with action centre set to 'selection'.
4) Then you triangulate the Ngon like you did in your video and turn them into quads.

I was just surprised that you used your Fix 3-5 method which takes longer!

You can also select all the side polygons of a cylinder then 'E' to extrude and scale perpecdicular to the cap polys to give yourself some edge loops near the ends of the cylinder, too.

Keep up with your tutorial, though. They are useful and I think the beginners would appreciate them, too.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

BeeVee
08-02-2018, 02:03 AM
Yes, E is Extender Plus. Shift E is Extrude. There's less difference between them now than there used to be, but Extender Plus does require you to change tools (select poly, E, T to move) whereas Extrude potentially only needs Shift-E to work since it follows the "nothing selected, everything selected" rule. :)

B
PS. I think we ought to use the shorthand of "NSES" for the rule because it's quicker to type... ;)

dsoell
08-02-2018, 05:22 AM
Hey Revanto. Thanks for the reply! I was hoping to spark more of these conversations as they always benefit everyone. I am ofc aware of what you said but the purpose of these quick tips is also to use some of the somewhat overlooked tools and fix 3-5 is a good way for less seasoned artists to get things done! I would love it if more people would chime in and give us their insights. Not everybody is an old fart like most of us!

P.S.: I would really appreciate any input for upcoming vids! Next one is on the way already!

jbrookes
08-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Excellent videos! Thanks for making these.

As for a request.... Do you have any tips for getting a nice result when shifting a group of polygons into a curved surface after doing a Drill -> Stencil on that surface?

And example would be to take half a sphere and stencil an oval curve onto its surface. Then shift the polygons inside that circle into the half-sphere a bit. What I often see is distortion in some of the polygons around the counter-sunk edge. I end up having to delete the problem polys and make new ones manually from the points. I'm sure there must be a better way.

I'm thinking of something similar to this, but with tips on shifting the polys and getting smooth and rounded edges when doing an inset:
https://youtu.be/cHczJc_1le0?t=303

dsoell
08-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Hey, thanks for the flowers. You mean something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO3bg_M4gnw ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQhFXHZDZ8

Revanto
08-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Hey Revanto. Thanks for the reply! I was hoping to spark more of these conversations as they always benefit everyone. I am ofc aware of what you said but the purpose of these quick tips is also to use some of the somewhat overlooked tools and fix 3-5 is a good way for less seasoned artists to get things done! I would love it if more people would chime in and give us their insights. Not everybody is an old fart like most of us!

P.S.: I would really appreciate any input for upcoming vids! Next one is on the way already!

Yes, I know the truth of being an old fart as I have been at the Lightwave game for the last 20 years.

OK, I see then. I thought you may have skipped over this way of doing things. My mistake.

Well, maybe how about a small tutorial on the EPSF loader? I use it for importing vector shapes or images sometimes instead of reference images. The thing is that is in your vector program (I use Illustrator) I found that if you export your shape with a filled object that the result will be a closed Ngon but if there is no fill then you will get 2 point polys instead. Sometimes that can be useful, though.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

BigHache
08-03-2018, 08:25 PM
"nothing selected, everything selected"

This has definitely become a four-letter word for me and I think it's the worst workflow ever. It destroys geometry for me and is wasting my time. I just submitted a bug report and you guys will continue to get them every time I lose time from NSES.

prometheus
08-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Yes, E is Extender Plus. Shift E is Extrude. There's less difference between them now than there used to be, but Extender Plus does require you to change tools (select poly, E, T to move) whereas Extrude potentially only needs Shift-E to work since it follows the "nothing selected, everything selected" rule. :)

B
PS. I think we ought to use the shorthand of "NSES" for the rule because it's quicker to type... ;)

If I havenīt missed some function in modeler, or in case there is a better extrude/extend tool.
We really need the tool for extruding/ polybevel out with divisions..and able to do so on multiple selected faces, as I am aware of..there is none, extrude will yield non connected polygons..that one allows for setting divisions, you could try thicken as well..but it will yield extra polys.
I am a bit baffled this hasnīt been adressed yet.

Itīs a bit funny when Houdini can do this with polyextrude, and Houdini isnīt exactly regarded as the most model friendly software, blender also does this a bit better...so Lightwave modeling actions need to step up a bit, it began some years ago with tweak modify stuff based on the core stuff I think, transform, axis translate etc..but it got a limp foot along the way and lost the speed of development.

Note ..If I have missed this option to multiextrude and setting divisions..then I would apologize, a workaround after extending would be to reselect the sides of the extended polys..then use "l" for connect..which yields divisions on those selected faces.

Ideally...a tweak tool that can multiselect when hovering without actually click select, then multiextrude with division options..that could make a couple of other tools obsolete.
Alternatively extender with division options, or perhaps bevel with multiselected uptions just as multishift...or multishift with division options..but multishift may have too many options to get going fast with the most common options.

jeric_synergy
08-04-2018, 09:33 AM
This has definitely become a four-letter word for me and I think it's the worst workflow ever. It destroys geometry for me and is wasting my time. I just submitted a bug report and you guys will continue to get them every time I lose time from NSES.

Imagine if in Photoshop you ALWAYS had to make a Selection. --No thanks.

BigHache
08-05-2018, 04:31 PM
Imagine if in Photoshop you ALWAYS had to make a Selection. --No thanks.

We're not talking about Photoshop. I don't even know why you would bring that up. Apples and oranges.

Make a comparison to a 3D modeling app and I'd be happy to discuss.

jeric_synergy
08-05-2018, 10:37 PM
We're not talking about Photoshop. I don't even know why you would bring that up. Apples and oranges.
Selection is Selection. Photoshop works the same as LWM, when nothing is Selected, everything is selected.

raymondtrace
08-06-2018, 06:39 AM
To be fair, most operations in Adobe Illustrator require an explicit selection. But even the dumbest of Adobe subscribers are smart enough to handle the different ways Illustrator and Photoshop handle selections. I don't see how users of a more complex 3D app would be challenged here.

BigHache
08-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Selection is Selection. Photoshop works the same as LWM, when nothing is Selected, everything is selected.

No, and wrong. Still not talking about Photoshop. Easy concept. Do you have anything to add to the conversation besides contradiction?