PDA

View Full Version : Unable to save config file...

starbase1
07-22-2018, 01:27 PM
OK, I've got a recently installed Lightwave, 11.6, and I'm getting the occasional unable to save config file error.

Anyone tell me how to address this?
Nick

BeeVee
07-22-2018, 05:19 PM
Has your user directory been write locked for some reason? Can you redirect where your configs are written to test another location (use -c in the Target line in the Properties window for the Layout application icon).

B

jwiede
07-22-2018, 05:38 PM
OK, I've got a recently installed Lightwave, 11.6, and I'm getting the occasional unable to save config file error.

Anyone tell me how to address this?

First check write permissions for the location in question, as BeeVee suggested.

Another possibility, if you're in a work environment on Windows where profile directories are network-stored, is that you might be running on a "temporary profile" (search "windows 10 temporary profile" for fix details). While running on a temporary profile, it's possible certain dirs that exist in your real profile directory don't exist in the temporary profile dir Windows created, and that can cause all sorts of issues of the sort you're seeing.

starbase1
07-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. It's a personal laptop, no special setup.
I checked C:\Users\Nick\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.3 and can't see anything odd with permissions.

And I#'m windows 10 64 bit, LW 11.6

A more specific example - when I try and change the colours in a gradient backdrop I get the error. (I'm also wondering if this is related to errors I got adding plugins to layout, though they seem to work OK in modeller...)

BeeVee, sorry, I don't understand how to do what you suggest.

Thank You,
Nick

starbase1
07-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. It's a personal laptop, no special setup.
I checked C:\Users\Nick\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.3 and can't see anything odd with permissions.

And I#'m windows 10 64 bit, LW 11.6

A more specific example - when I try and change the colours in a gradient backdrop I get the error. (I'm also wondering if this is related to errors I got adding plugins to layout, though they seem to work OK in modeller...)

BeeVee, sorry, I don't understand how to do what you suggest.

Thank You,
Nick

BeeVee
07-23-2018, 05:25 PM
Hey Nick,

In your LightWave directory you will have a bunch of icons you can use to start Layout, Modeler, etc. If you select one and right click and select Properties you will be presented with a window in which you will see a line labelled Target. You can add-c to the end of the line followed immediately by a path, like so:

C:\NewTek\LightWave_2018.0.5\bin\Layout.exe -cC:\NewTek\configs

With the target line set like this, configs will no longer be written to your C:\Users\Nick\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.3 folder, but there you want them to be.

B

starbase1
07-24-2018, 12:17 AM
Very clear, thank you!