PDA

View Full Version : Firewall exceptions for NDI

Selld
07-18-2018, 07:41 AM
I usually setup systems using NDI in a private closed network with success. The only problems I encounter are solved when I turn off the firewalls on both the TC and any external computers. I am installing now in a situation where the firewalls on the computers must remain on and they are managed by the system administrator through network policy. NDI is working, but it is not reliable and I suspect a problem with the firewall restrictions. Does anyone have any experience configuring/defining the firewall exceptions to allow NDI to work in this type of situation? I know it has to do with permitting port 5353 to allow mDNS broadcast of the source and a number of ports from 5960-XXXX to be opened for the actual NDI streams. This is a TC 860 with AE so it has 12 NDI streams outgoing and there will be a maximum of 3 laptops sending to it via NDI scan converter so I would want to have at least 16 ports available.

dtweek
07-18-2018, 08:17 AM
I'm working somewhere where mDNS is disabled by policy. I couldn't get the policy changed, but we managed to get it working by assigning static IP addresses and then adding them to the NDI access manager. It does mean that new devices will not pop up and will need to be added manually, but it works. What we did for the laptops we assigned the IP to the port so it doesn't matter which laptop is plugged in they will automatically be assigned an IP that has already been defined in access manager.

kanep
07-18-2018, 09:19 AM
If multicast is disabled on the network, you will need to use NDI Access Manager to add the IP address of the other systems. It is important when you add an remote device, that the correct NDI type is selected (a camera must be set to the correct PTZ model type).

Selld
07-18-2018, 10:52 AM
I'm looking at the Introduction to NDI and the access manager setup. I'll try that while I'm on site tomorrow. Do I need to delete the public group?

kanep
07-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Everything that needs to talk together has to be in the same group. Public is the default, I would leave it on that unless you plan something different.

Selld
07-18-2018, 01:36 PM
I am mainly connecting PC's via Scan converter. Do I need to run access manager just on the TriCaster or do I need to run it on the PC as well?

kanep
07-18-2018, 02:27 PM
NDI Access Manager needs to be configured on every system that is talking to talk to another system.

doctorsunshine
07-19-2018, 02:10 AM
As far as I know the "group" feature in Access Manager only concerns mDNS discovery (by the way, group feature is not relevant with any NDI-HX source).

When you enter a source directly using its IP adress, then group is not relevant for any source as well...

Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Selld
07-19-2018, 08:43 AM
I'm very close to solving my problem on this network. All of the PC's can see each other. If I exit to Windows on the TriCaster and run Test Patterns and Studio Monitor then I can see all of the sources along with the TriCaster. But, If I start the TriCaster then I can see that the sources are advertised, but the signal will not switch when I select it from the list (sometimes, but not always). I have added the IP addresses for the 3 PC's into Access Manager on the TC. I also added the TriCaster IP into Access Manager on each of the PC's.

dtweek
07-19-2018, 08:48 AM
are you running the latest version of NDI tools? 3.5? I had some issues with older versions sometimes showing up in the list but not displaying anything for a good couple of minutes, which I think was again down to the way our network is managed rather than a newtek thing, since switching to 3.5 it's been 100% reliable and quick to connect.

Selld
07-19-2018, 08:58 AM
The TriCaster is running 3.5, but the laptops are running the previous version. Mainly because I like the way you can choose the window instead of using ROI. One of the laptops is win 7 which will not run 3.5. Let me try the new one on the two win 10 machines.

I tried 3.5 on one of the laptops and the result is the same. I can view between laptops, but no always change on the TriCaster.

doctorsunshine
07-19-2018, 08:58 AM
I heard Tricaster does not make use of NDI 3.5 when installed on the same computer, other than the new NDI-HX driver .

I guess Tricaster software should be recompiled with the the NDI 3.5 librairies, not sure if it's been done already. On my side I also have sometimes quite a long time to get video signal coming, latest TC-1 release and 3.5 installation did not really help.

kanep
07-19-2018, 09:05 AM
I heard Tricaster does not make use of NDI 3.5 when installed on the same computer, other than the new NDI-HX driver .

I guess Tricaster software should be recompiled with the the NDI 3.5 librairies, not sure if it's been done already. On my side I also have sometimes quite a long time to get video signal coming, latest TC-1 release and 3.5 installation did not really help.

This is how NDI works with all software. The manufacture needs to update their NDI libraries in the application. Installing NDI Tools 3.5 on a system will only update the 'Tools' themselves, anything else running on the system will continue to use the NDI libraries they came with. NDI 3.5 is backwards compatible with previous versions of NDI.

doctorsunshine
07-19-2018, 09:08 AM
This is how NDI works with all software. The manufacture needs to update their NDI libraries in the application. Installing NDI Tools 3.5 on a system will only update the 'Tools' themselves, anything else running on the system will continue to use the NDI libraries they came with. NDI 3.5 is backwards compatible with previous versions of NDI.

Thanks for confirmation. So, can you tell if and which version of tricaster are already using 3.5 NDI librairies ?

Selld
07-19-2018, 09:19 AM
I tried 3.5 on one of the laptops and the result is the same. I can view between laptops, but not always change on the TriCaster. The TriCaster can still see all sources if I exit and use just the tools so I don't think it's a network issue.

doctorsunshine
07-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Any better if you enter the source IP adress in the Tricaster NDI access manager ? Should get same behaviour, but never know....

Selld
07-19-2018, 09:36 AM
This TirCaster was recently restored and then upgraded to AE. Then NDI tools 3.5 was installed from the latest download. Is it possible that something was skipped when during the install?

Selld
07-19-2018, 09:45 AM
This TriCaster 860 was recently restored and then updated to AE. Tech support had to send me some updated install files because of a hardware issue, but the install went well otherwise. I then installed the latest NDI tools from the support website. Is it possible that there is a driver or other file that was skipped during the installation that I can add manually. Again, NDI tools works fine if I'm just in Windows and not running the TriCaster software, but not correctly while running the TriCaster software.

- - - Updated - - -

I did that.